• Pandantic@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Honestly, I more disappointed and surprised at more than a few older Dems I know saying they just “couldn’t bring themselves to vote a Black into the White House.”

• WatDabney@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Honestly, I am too.

I fully expected it, but not this soon.

Looking forward to more though. Every one of these is just more votes against Trump.

• GladiusB@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

My hope is not to change them. But it is to change their children. Or those adjacent. If we keep trying to change them, we will never win.

• WatDabney@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

We’ll never change the base. Their investment in Trump and conservatism is more akin to religious faith than ideology, and just as with religion, to question it would be to undermine the basis for their (clearly unjustified) conviction that they’re decent and moral.

I don’t think we really need to worry about changing their children either. Their children are already changing, which is an awful lot of the reason for their egregiously anti-democracy panic. They recognize at some level that the tide of history is turning against them, and they can’t stand it. They think they can stop that process through force and fraud, and don’t seem to understand that all they can do that way is maybe postpone it a bit, or that bybtrying to save their justly dying ideology that way, they ensure that a day of reckoning will come - that they’ll go down in history as not just an abandoned ideology, but a justly condemned one.

• Rentlar@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The propaganda machine was full throttle on Biden is old and unfit, that as soon as switch happened Republicans were scrambling to grab onto the first thing they could come up with, of course racism and misogyny are the fallbacks.

• Takios
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I’d say that they’ve been mask-off for quite a while tbh.

• Tolookah
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Stayed mask off through the worst of covid, only put masks on to protest like little proud boys.

• GBU_28@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

“they”

Little fish are taking these early bites. Don’t play along.