2 months ago

“That sounds like sovereign citizen stuff, and that’s just weird” 😂

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Why would they try to get a document notarized by the state if they don’t believe in the validity of the state?

• thesporkeffect@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

This isn’t a gotcha to them. They do believe in the power of the state, as far as it regulates normies. They see that extremely wealthy people are above the law, and assume they got that way via secret magic spells rather than starting with wealth and privilege.

The sovcit stuff is a cargo cult trying to reverse engineer the magic spells, for people who lack the analytical ability to understand the source of the inequality of today’s society.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

for people who lack the analytical ability to understand the source of the inequality of today’s society.

If we hollow out the educational system, they’ll have no ability to catch up to us or understand what we’ve done to them.

• Agent641@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

I can kinda see why they think this way. I went to court recently and the Magistrate and all the lawyers have these strange phrases and rituals that don’t get used in regular parlance, so Im not surprised that sovcits think that if they learn the magic language of the court, they can get their way. But its just a bunch of old-timey Victorian era routine.

• Ilovethebomb@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

It’s possible, but children are much smarter than most people give them credit for. They’re most likely aware their parent is a nutter, and none of their nonsense is working for them.

• Evotech@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

So funny to arrest him for failure to appear when he’s there but he says he is not there 😂😂😂

• gedaliyah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

It seems like there are enough of these people that a unscrupulous lawyer could really fill the niche and make a lot of money. “Yes, just sign over power of attorney to me and I can represent your strawman to sever that from your court appearance.”

• AA5B@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Then it’s time to campaign for judge - separate that pesky straw man “bat” stuff from the Soviet entity providing legal assistance for a fee

• gedaliyah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

There’s an interesting take… maybe sovcits are not really wrong-headed fundamentalist morons. Maybe they are just desperate enough that it makes as much sense as the alternative. In this economy, can any of us really afford not to try sovcit life?

/s (I think)

• Schmuppes@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

How much does, say, registering and getting license plates for a 2001 Impala cost over there per year?

• AA5B@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

This is probably one of those situations where he thought he got away with something, and $100 is $100. However two years later after the fines and jail time, it’s probably an overwhelming amount, he has no choice but to double down on stupidity.

But to give a more serious answer, it highly depends on locality, and I didn’t see that.

Where I live, a simple registration renewal is $60. However you need to pay any back fees and you may need to pay fees for new plates. But you also need to get caught up on paying excise taxes to your town and get clearance from them to proceed. And you also need to get caught up on all traffic fines from all jurisdictions, and get from all of them a clearance to proceed. And you need to have current car insurance at least the minimum mandated by state and they need to update the registry. And you need a valid ID, such as a drivers license, which also has snowballing prerequisites. It can quickly become a real pain in the ass, and add up to a lot of money, even for an older car without much value. You know he’s been applying the same stupidity to all the prerequisites mandated by whereever he lives, and has made it as difficult as possible for himself

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

I don’t know about the “/s”, this makes way more sense than it should.

In this case, weee only reading about driving without a license but most of these stories have them going looney tunes ofpver much bigger obstacles in life.

At the risk of being downvoted to hell: child support. Regardless of what mistakes you made to get there, child support can be very expensive. If you get behind, it can very quickly seem insurmountable. I look at some news stories about people being arrested for not paying it, but it seems like they always owe an insane amount that there’s just no way they can catch up with. Maybe you don’t have sympathy for these people, and that’s ok, but this is ordinary life where a huge cost can be imposed on someone who doesn’t think they owe it. I understand the amount is calculated based on actual income, so it ought to be bearable, but it’s also large enough it only takes a few months behind before it may seem like an impossible mountain. I can see people being desperate. I can see them willing to try anything, once they e dig themselves in too deep

• Maple Engineer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I watch court videos on YouTube. It seems that many judges are cluing in to the best methods to respond to the sovereign citizen nonsense. If you’re, “the authorized representative of [name]” then [name] has failed to appear and they issue a bench warrant, have the person thrown in jail until they can be positively identified. I’ve seen judges throw them in jail for up to 30 days for contempt for refusing to answer basic questions and I’ve seen judges withdraw their permission to represent themselves because they keep saying that they “don’t understand” anything that’s going on. You can’t represent yourself if you don’t understand.

I love this judge.