China is honestly light years ahead of the US. I live in one of the most expensive cities in the US and am here on vacation for a month traveling through China and it is insane how far ahead of us they are. From the high speed rail system that I have been using to go from city to city, the absolute cleanliness everywhere, no crime, no worry about getting pick pocketed/mugged, nice friendly people, no homelessness, no tent cities, affordable/cheap prices for food and basic necessities. Every little town I pass I the high speed line had massive construction going on from high density apartments to infrastructure. Honestly the only complaints I have is that the entire country is hot as balls right now and the food situation is a bit rough as a person who’s both vegan and a somewhat picky eater, they only seem to have mainly Chinese food everywhere and as good as it is I need some variety in my diet and it is hard finding all vegan places as well.

I honestly I have now come to realize that the reason we are so strongly propagandized against China in the US is that it would break the average Americans brain if you saw how well they are living here compared to the absolute under-devoloped shit we put up with in the US.

Ask me any questions you have and I can also post pics if interested!

• Quaxamilliom [comrade/them]@hexbear.netOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Another thing I want to add is that it’s amazing being in a country where there are hammer and sickles everywhere and communism isn’t some taboo thing to be kept in the closet.

• GaveUp [love/loves]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Do you know how many of those people went to America?

In my experience everybody who goes to UK/Canada/USA for a few years have their illusions shattered really hard as well, even before COVID and Trump

• meth_dragon [none/use name]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

there is a dunning kruger area of politically illiterate petit bourgeoisie and wannabes (liberals) who dislike leftism for a variety of reasons, many of them actually personal failings (shitty teacher/school admin, can’t break into the big bourgeoisie, incel because ugly/poor/misogynist, friends doing better than they are <- this is a big one) but in their minds easily attributed to leftist politics

in all fairness the government does do a lot of dumb shit a lot of the time for really shitty reasons but in these people’s minds they’re just built different and would have been fine or would be doing even better if china had completely capitulated and ended up like CIS or idk, india

they’re honestly not common at all (thank god) but i interact with them on a daily basis due to job/social circle and it takes everything i have to just stay hinged in conversations so i am taking this opportunity to vent, sorry

• aaaaaaadjsf [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

politically illiterate (liberals) who dislike leftism for a variety of reasons, many of them actually personal failings (shitty teacher/school admin, can’t break into the big bourgeoisie, incel because ugly/poor/misogynist, friends doing better than they are <- this is a big one) but in their minds easily attributed to leftist politics

To be fair you could say the exact same thing for a sizeable amount of “anti capitalist” people in the West. Politically illiterate liberals who mix up criticism of capitalism with personal failings.

in these people’s minds they’re just built different and would have been fine or would be doing even better if china had completely capitulated and ended up like CIS or idk, india

Again lol, you see this mindset in a minority of Westen leftists on the internet as well. “If my country was just communist instead of capitalist I’d be living my best life” type of mindset. I guess the idea of the grass being greener on the other side is just part of the human experience if life sucks for someone at the moment.

This is not intended as a defence of capitalism, just to be clear before someone misreads my comment.

• space_comrade [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

so i am taking this opportunity to vent, sorry

No it’s fine I like reading about how people in China think and act since because the only local “knowledge” regarding that is “100% of Chinese are brainwashed and propagandized 100% of the time and they’re basically a totalitarian hivemind too scared of the government to even think for themselves”.

• BynarsAreOk [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The only thing is don’t take a T1 city as a representation of the whole country.

I think the videos from people going to Xinjiang or Tibet are more interesting honestly.

• geikei [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

tbf based on other comments they seem to have also visited Tier 2 and Tier 3 cities which in their own right are seeing faster development and are as impressive as a lot of well functioning European cities. So the overall impression is somewhat representative of the lives of more people than the populations of the US or the EU

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yes, Guilin is a 3rd tier city and parts of it reminded me of my home, Tehran (in a charming, nostalgic way), but there were tons of infrastructure and housing construction going on, it was relatively clean (especially compared to US cities), and felt very safe and not to mention absolutely stunning geography.

• spectre [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

That’s correct, because the government has a strong role in managing development, there are significant differences between cities of different tiers, not to mention rural villages. My understanding is that everything is trending up though, it’s just that it’s good to keep everything in perspective as a visitor who is likely only going to see tier 1 and maybe tier 2 cities.

• VILenin [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Hell yeah China gang

I’m there in 2 days. Get to go a couple times a month. Lie-flat accommodations and mediocre airline food. For free! Since I fly the airplane. But the crew only gets about 30 hours max before we turn around and come back :/

How are the train-shinings? Ticket-wise too. I heard the popular routes sell out pretty fast. Also damn they built up the network fast. I remember going for the 2008 Olympics and the network was nothing at all like it is now.

There’s been a lot of change even in just the past 10 years. I first went in 1999. The development is amazing. I guess there’s some minor frustrations too. You used to be able to stroll into Tiananmen Square whenever you felt like it, at any time of day. A few years ago someone rammed a vehicle into the crowd so now you have to go through a security and ID check to enter a protected area. You also need a reservation beforehand. sadness

How difficult is it without speaking Mandarin? I do so I feel like I’m not really in tune with that experience.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

woah, you’re an airline pilot? That’s amazing, I love flying!

The trains are amazing, they are always on time and well organized, the tickets I got through trip.com easily and you just show your passport at the gate to be let in. The only route so far that was really packed was the HK to Guilin route, but all the other ones were easy to get and they have so many of them all through the day, I truly am amazed by the rail network here!

It hasn’t been too difficult not speaking the language, the people here use an app that they talk into and it translates for them and I use the same thing in the alipay app. Everyone is really nice and friendly and willing to wait patiently while we figure out communications lol.

• VILenin [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

woah, you’re an airline pilot?

Yeah. It’s fun! Especially with a union that actually does things

That’s amazing, I love flying!

sicko-yes

Also, trains, on time? Unheard of in burgerland. Contrast with the hours-long Amtrak slog from New York to DC getting passed by bikes half the time.

And I can’t imagine an American taking their time with a foreigner who doesn’t speak the language.

A comment as to the food: there used to be a chain in Beijing and Shanghai called Element Fresh that served vegan options, but they shut down in 2022 due to COVID. But if you’re going to be in Beijing I would still try the Sanlitun area, it’s a cosmopolitan-type place and there’s a decent chance you could find something there.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I don’t speak a bit of Mandarin, it has been somewhat difficult as not many people speak English at all either, but when needed I use alipay’s built in translator and am able to communicate well enough. Everyone here also seems to have an app they can talk into that translates what they want to say.

Also some places are very crowded (tourist areas like Guilin) and others not so much, but the crowds are all mainly Chinese tourists, I’ve only seen maybe five or so white people here (i’m not white myself though, middle eastern).

• Barx [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

sù (素) food is a good backup plan for finding vegan food. It’s food following Buddhist purity rules which will mean it’s all at least vegetarian. Say no eggs and you’ve made it vegan because they’re not going to use dairy.

Look for swastikas to find such a restaurant.

• LesbianLiberty [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

我只吃素菜 Wǒ zhǐ chī sù cài “I Only Eat Vegetarian Food” and 你们有素菜吗 Nǐ men yǒu sù cài ma? “Do you have vegetarian food?” have been my go to phrases when my brain’s too busted to speak the Mandarin I do know. If all else fails you can always hit them with the 我不能吃肉 Wǒ bù néng chī ròu which is “I don’t eat meat”

• booty [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

This sounds like you’ll inevitably end up getting some butter and other misc animal products in you at some point, but hey, that’s life in a carnist world sometimes

• LesbianLiberty [she/her]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Yeah unfortunately, when I was a student I had a friend who was vegan but he had to go vegetarian while studying in China because unintentionally consuming carnist products due to language and cultural barriers was unavoidable

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Yea, thats what we’ve been mostly eating at, but like I said i get sick of the same food after a while and we’re here for a month, I need variety lol! Im craving tacos really hard tbh.

• Flyberius [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I agree, but fuck me Guiyang has been hard work today. I saw a guy literally beat the shit out of his 2 year old kid for playing too raucously, and in the park a guy was shooting monkeys with a slingshot and everyone was gathered around laughing.

I think Guiyang might just be filled with arseholes.

Critical support, because they still have some issues to iron out in some places, such as animal cruelty, and it being socially acceptable to literally slap a two year old in the face repeatedly over some minor infraction. Honestly I wanted to kill that man. Actually I wanted to kill the guy shooting the monkeys too.

I literally can’t stop thinking about that kid. It really got to me, he was so small and the dad or grandad or uncle or whatever slapped him three or four times in the face and then proceeded to start slapping his belly. Afterwards the kids wasn’t even audibly crying, he just had a look of complete shock on his face, mouth open, probably too winded to actually cry out. I know it would have been the stupidest thing in the world to intervene but I feel like such a coward for just standing there and watching.

• TreadOnMe [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

When I was working in retail I confronted a dude who was smacking his six or seven year old in the back of the head repeatedly (as the kid had been screwing up the aisle), and I told him to either stop or get out the store. It happens in the U.S. too.

• Aradina [She/They]@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

China’s biggest and most persistant Ls are to do with socially conservative ideas and other brain worms. The treatment of animals, children, women, lgbtq people, etc are all horrid. Actual chud level shit.

Things seem to be improving, thankfully, but I definitely feel for less socially accepted comrades there.

• Greenleaf [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I strongly suspect that in 2024, the median Chinese worker has a higher material quality of life than the median American worker. I say that I “strongly suspect” because for some reason I have never seen someone make this frankly straightforward comparison, I wonder why…

• Egon [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

US life expectancy: 76.33 years Chinese life expectancy: 78.21 years

I tried to find a qol-index, but its all propaganda. Very vibes-based. It ranked the US 12th, which is crazy (if you don’t think so, then read this report )

• GaveUp [love/loves]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I honestly I have now come to realize that the reason we are so strongly propagandized against China in the US is that it would break the average Americans brain if you saw how well they are living here compared to the absolute under-devoloped shit we put up with in the US

They were doing it when China didn’t have flushable toilets in their plumbing systems what are you saying

• ButtBidet [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

With the Mandarin I picked up, I was able to do vegan in the most rural fecking places. Not to say that my experience will be everybody’s, but it wasn’t bad for me.

• SkingradGuard [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Yeah, not to discount OP, but it really must be a language barrier thing. In fact many meat dishes are also good with veggies/tofu anyway. Obviously some regions you’ll have much bigger difficulty, but from the sounds of it, OP isn’t going to those provinces.

• cricbuzz [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Hey I’ve got a question, how many Xi-Bucks are they paying you to write this post?!

lol jk, comrade. happy that you’re having a great time exploring there. It’s on my bucket list to go there before the US commits to full-fledged stochastic terrorism in every major city there