link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

One of My strongest memories is watching a documentary where they claimed dogs don’t dream, and my dogs directly in front of the TV making little sleep barks and moving legs deep into some dream.

Let’s be honest we are animals and the rest aren’t all that far behind us.

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

I can tell that even my pet gerbils have dreams. Man I’d love to know what they’re dreaming of. They’ve effectively spent their entire lives inside that glass terrarium so I can’t imagine there being a huge variety of novel experiences to dream of.

• nialv7@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

IIUC during REM sleep your body loses muscle tone. And that’s the phase of sleep where dream happens. Which means, at least in humans, when you twitch in sleep, you aren’t dreaming. Same thing when someone is sleepwalking.

• Teknikal@eviltoast.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Dreaming definetly involves quite deep thoughts imo.

I just found it absolutely mad these science guys on TV where claiming dogs don’t dream, I mean it’s obviously nonsense to anyone who has ever had a dog how the hell do they get to their nonsense conclusions

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 month ago

What’s driving me wild about these claims is I DON’T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE EVEN MEAN with “inner monologue”. And none of those stupid articles seems to bother to first and foremost try to define what the fuck they are writing about. A definition of the word…

• Fondots@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

Something that I think trips people up when trying to understand what it’s like to have an inner monologue or to visualize things in your mind is that we don’t really have better words for the experience.

I have an inner monologue, and saying that I “hear” a voice in my head when I’m thinking about something isn’t exactly the way I would choose to describe it, there’s just no simpler way to really put it.

It’s sort of like there are words “happening” in my head. As I think through something my brain is putting the thoughts and concepts together with words describing those thoughts. If I’m, for example, deciding what color to paint something, while I’m thinking through the possibilities, my brain is just sort of conjuring up sentences that match my thoughts like “if I paint it red, it will look funny, so I’ll paint it blue instead, yeah, that’s what I’ll do, alright gotta go to the store for blue paint.” There’s not a literal voice making noises in my head that I hear the same way I hear someone standing in front of me talking, but I intuitively know what the voice speaking those imaginary words would sound like, and the thoughts and ideas I have that way kind of get processed in my brain in a similar way to how it would absorb ideas from someone explaining something to me verbally.

Similarly when I say I can “see” something in my head, if I picture, let’s say a car, there’s not a literal car floating in my visual field somewhere like some kind of voluntary hallucination. It’s sort of like having a complete intuitive understanding of exactly what that car looks like, you know what it looks like from all angles, with the doors open and closed, what it looks like in motion and parked, etc. without actually having to go look at it, open the doors, see it being driven around, etc. and all of that information is getting processed though the same or similar parts of my brain that would process actually looking at the car.

I like to use the analogy of your brain as a computer. When you’re actually hearing or seeing something it’s like you have a microphone or webcam pointed at something feeding into the computer, and having it output right to the monitor.

If, instead, you used your computer to run a super detailed 3d simulation of a car, the end result would look much the same with a car driving on your monitor and the accompanying sounds coming out of your speakers. Except your brain isn’t actually putting those images and sounds on-screen, it’s keeping that window minimized and sounds muted on that app. It’s still doing all of the processing, rendering, encoding, etc. it would have to do to output those images and sounds, it knows what the car is doing in that simulation as long as it’s running and what it would look and sound like, it’s just not outputting that information onto the screen. And since your brain is the computer that’s running the simulation, it’s not terribly important that it’s not being displayed anywhere because you still just know what that simulation looks and sounds like.

Everyone’s brain is wired a little differently and of course I can only try to explain my own personal experience with how my brain works, but overall I find that this sort of explanation tends to ring pretty true for people who do have an internal monologue and don’t have aphantasia.

And of course there’s probably a pretty wide spectrum of how people actually experience this, how detailed the images, sounds, and words in their head can be and what they’re able to do with them.

And like I touched on a little at the beginning, there’s the language aspect. I personally wouldn’t really choose to describe these things as “seeing” and “hearing,” I just don’t have a better word for them. Others may find that other terms to describe the same thing just feel better and make more sense to them.

Kind of like how we’ve collectively agreed that chili peppers are “hot” and “burn” your mouth. Eating some spicy food doesn’t really feel the same as if you burned your mouth drinking coffee that is too hot or something, but it does activate some similar kinds of nerves and parts of your brain and such and the experiences are somewhat similar, so we’ve just kind of decided that terms like “hot” and “burning” are close enough.

But if you got someone who had no prior knowledge of hot peppers and had them eat one, it’s possible that they might come up with different words to describe what they experience. Maybe instead of saying that it “burns” they might say that it “itches,” “tingles,” “hurts,” etc. and they wouldn’t be wrong, those words just felt the most right to them to describe their experience.

In the case of peppers, that’s something we can easily reach a common understanding of. We can just tell them “we call that sensation burning” and anyone who doesn’t know what it feels like can just take a bite of a jalapeno and then we’re all on the same page.

Unfortunately when we’re talking about how we think and process information, we can never really be sure if we’re experiencing the same thing. We can’t just have them take a bite out of our inner monologue like they can with a jalapeno so we can ask them “is this what thinking is like for you?” We just have to use our words to describe it, and hope that they also landed on “burning” to describe it instead of “itching”

I’m not saying that all people have what I would describe as an inner monologue, or the ability to picture things in their head and just don’t realize it, I’m quite certain that some people don’t experience the world that way. I think there’s probably some cases where people do and don’t realize it because of how others explain it, but mostly I think there’s just a gap in our language that makes it hard to explain what we’re experiencing to people whose brains don’t work that way. I’m kind of curious if there’s another language that does make a better distinction between actually hearing/seeing things and having an internal monologue or “hearing”/“seeing” things in your mind and how that affects these sorts of conversations among those people.

• DominusOfMegadeus@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Wow. I was just thinking how best to describe my “inner monologue,” and the fact that it’s not really seeing and hearing. But now I don’t have to because you nailed it. I want to subscribe to your blog. Also, instead of “burning” I say we change the word for jalapeño taste to “spicification.” “OMG this pepper! My mouth is spicified!”

• can@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

instead, you used your computer to run a super detailed 3d simulation of a car, the end result would look much the same with a car driving on your monitor and the accompanying sounds coming out of your speakers. Except your brain isn’t actually putting those images and sounds on-screen, it’s keeping that window minimized and sounds muted on that app

I’m curious, what is your experience with sound generally? Because I do not identify with my brain muting apps but it’s mainly music so I don’t really mind. If a song is in your head are you aware of the song or is it closer to hearing artists’ voice/instruments?

• Today@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I don’t remember the numbers I’ve read in studies, but i recall thinking it was around 50/50.

• illi@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

It’s like talking to yourself, but not vocalizing it. At least that’s how I understand it

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I still don’t know whether that means my absolutely everyday way to think the words I am typing right now, or if some people can actually hear their “inner voice” like in a movie voiceover when the protagonists thoughts are narrated in the protagonist’s voice. Or do people have a “dialogue” in their heads? I mean that never occurred to me because at least that part of "mono"logue is clear…

• can@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I think there are probably people who go through each as you described. I think we’re learning there’s many different ways brains can work.

Don’t over think it too much.

• illi@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Pretty much the inner voice thing. Like you are talking yourself through what you are doing, commenting internally on what you see and stuff.

• bitchkat@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

Yes, we hear a voice talking in our head. When I’m typing this response, I hear all the words in my head before I type them.

• Donut@leminal.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

In a way that scares me, but it would explain how we have so many different ways of looking at life.

• jjjalljs@ttrpg.network
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

When you think about what you’re going to write, do you compose any of it in your head first?

Like, this sentence I am writing after I thought the first half of it in my brain. The rest of this paragraph I’m writing one word at a time, but I still imagine each word.

• loopedcandle@lemmynsfw.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Oh no. I don’t know how to explain it. It’s just my existence. It just streams out of my brain, through my fingers instantaneously. There is no first half second half.

Although I am a known terrible writer.

Worth noting, this is normal from my perspective. I think all of you are the weird ones.

• beSyl@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

I don’t believe this. I know this is supposedly true, but I feel like people are lieing just to feel special or something.

How can someone not have a head voice? If one needs to go to the supermarket, does one not think “humm… What do I need… I need bananas, toilet paper…”…

• Rob T Firefly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

People with neurodivergences ranging from mild autism to major life-ruining conditions have been hearing “I don’t believe you, you’re just doing it for attention” forever, and that’s a crappy and potentially very harmful position for someone outside the situation to take.

• SLVRDRGN@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I’ve never had an inner monologue and I’ve had a conversation with a friend (who has an inner monologue) about this. He said the same thing about “specialness”, but I don’t really understand why one would be more or less special than the other.

It’s just simply another way to be.

And to answer your question, I go with a list and go and look for what I wrote down. Usually it’s images that go through my mind rather than a structured sentence, which makes no sense to me - but I don’t think it’s unspecial or anything!

• cynar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

While I have an inner monologue, I’m also able to shut it down and still think. The inner voice is likely an artefact of how we learn. So much learning is done by voice instruction that it becomes the default for most people.

• can@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Do you see things in your brain?

And maybe reflect a little bit on why you immediately reject the experiences of others just because they differ from your specific one?

• Mr_Dr_Oink@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I have a head voice, but not all the time, I see images, but not all the time, I can hear music in my head, most of the time.

When I write things down, I often speak the sentence in my head as I write it, but sometimes the words just fall out of me with no voice leading them

when im planning a food shop, I visualise the shop and walk around it in my head so I put the items I want in the right order on my list. When working out what i need it’s a combination of visualising the fridge/freezer and cupboards and physically looking in them to see what I have and then looking at my meal plan to see what I need. The meal plan i made by just sensing what im craving that week.

When I learn to play a song, I hear the music in my head and can sound that out to work out chords and melodies.

When I compose music, I can hear the next chord I want in my head and then have to sound that out on my instrument.

When I make silly videos to send to my family group chat, I think visually.

People are just different. If you struggle with that concept, then I feel sorry for you.

You say it’s for people to feel special, I say it seems to me that it’s more you feeling like you aren’t special because you wish you could think the way other people do.

In reality, it doesn’t matter how you think. I envy my wife as she is much smarter and more organised than me, but she can’t visualise anything or hear music in her head and thinks more systematically. She is jealous that I can do these things.

We both agree it’s silly.

• hydroptic@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Fantastic attitude. Do you always discount things you’re too stupid to understand as lies or is this a special case?

• lars@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

When I used to come out of the closet as a teenager, this was a common response: “it’s not real” or “you’ve decided to do this”.

It didn’t occur to me I could have righteous indignation about it, but it did lead to me to a place where I’m still enthusiastically delighted/shocked/vindicated when straight people literally don’t care about gays, or aren’t disgusted by gays, or when they wish noncishet people happy anniversary.

• Today@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Not everyone has a voice in their head. Do you have a cat? Cats have thoughts. Unfortunately that thought is sometimes, “eff you, human!”

• TheBigBrother@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

What do you mean about “not everyone has a voice in their head”? I have one… I would like to research more about this topic.

• sartalon@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

I do not have an internal monologue.

This has been at least discussed/studied before but I don’t know if there has been any sort of formal poll to find a rate between those that do and those that don’t.

• Today@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

There are some studies. I don’t remember the specifics but it’s something like 50/50 on hearing and seeing and about 20 percent do neither. I’m sure those numbers are off, but that’s vaguely what i remember reading.

• illi@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I have to ask - in what way do you think about stuff? Especially whem you need to be mindful of a process or remember something?

• sartalon@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

I still think in words and images, but there is no voice.

Something else that came up in previous discussions. I remember emotional response more than specific things. For example, my wife can remember what we wore, what we ate, and other specifics, of a date we had years ago. I barely remember even the location, but I can easily recall that I was happy about the date, but there was some mild frustration early on, something about the restaurant, but then feeling better about it later.

I say this and my wife says, “Oh yeah, we were annoyed because we had reservations but still had to wait 20 minutes, but then we were given an appetizer.”

However, before my comments, she couldn’t recall if we liked the place or not.

I’ll remember if I liked someone, but not why or even their name.

• Today@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

Mine is just chunks of info or ideas. My coworkers think this is why i talk a lot unfiltered- because i don’t hear how it will sound it in my head before it comes out of my mouth. There’s a little test online that was going around for awhile where you try to visualize a red star and grade it 1-5.

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

My cognition is mixed. Verbal inner monologue is going most of the time when I’m just thinking about routine stuff. But if I’m “in the flow zone” working on a project or playing music or something like that, the little “voice in my head” vanishes completely and that’s when I’m the happiest. I suspect most people can relate to those modes.

• can@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

That’s relatable to me at least. And often music is playing my my head in the place of my inner voice.

• DominusOfMegadeus@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Agreed, now that I think about it. It’s definitely better to be in the zone. If I’m monologuing I think it might signify that I’m having trouble with something, but I don’t necessarily enjoy being that aware of my own self.

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

There are also people who are unable to see images in their mind. In case you want to go further down the rabbit hole.

• TheBigBrother@lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

Do you know if it’s some kind of mental illness? I mean some kind of human abnormality, or do you believe there are a lot of people like that?

• Rhynoplaz@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

My theory is that there’s no such thing as neurotypical.

Neurotypical is just the statistical average of all the different ways we’re fucked in the head.

i.e. Half have anxiety, the other half have depression and we just assume normal is somewhere in the middle.

• Don_alForno@feddit.org
                link
                fedilink
                Deutsch
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

We function just fine. Seeing images or hearing voices in your mind is not required for any task I’m aware of.

• KittenBiscuits@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 month ago

My MIL and to some extent my husband are like that. It was painful discussing design plans with them when we reno’d our kitchen. I just started doing mood boards so they could see what I had in my head that I wanted it to look like.

• Today@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I’m terrible at decorating!! After 20+ years in my house most of my walls have pictures that are sentimental to me but not visually connected in any way.

• Truffle@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I don’t have one but my SO does and when he first referenced to it I just stared at him like he was hallucinating. Like wtf you mean you have a tiny voice that functions as a narrator at times?, doesn’t that freak you out? Does it use the third person to address you? It still kind of creeps me out because, as I said, I don’t have one.

• Wolfeh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Thoughts, yes. Please keep in mind that thoughts are not necessarily in the form of a voice, even in humans.

• cheese_greater@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Not sure about thoughts, but cats are interesting in their level of committment to their intent when they “decide” they want to do something. They are laser-focused and its hard to actually meaningfully distract them from the execution once the order’s been placed haha.

Watch them sometime. Cat.exe are very deiberate little critters. It reminds me of when you hit the share sheet on iOS but you change your mind and try desperately to navigate away from it popping up or hoping you can cancel out the instruction but nope. Its coming

• BlackLaZoR@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

They don’t have language, so they can’t have the internal dialogue.

But can they have imagination? Since many animals have dreams, then why not?

• Noxy@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

How can you say that animals don’t have language?

As I said in an earlier comment elsewhere in this post:

Have you never seen a dog wag their tail or play bow?

Have you never seen a squirrel twitching their tail at another squirrel who’s encroached on their territory?

Have you never encountered any media about whale songs?

All kinds of animals have all kinds of language.

• Tropper@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I would say that animals have thoughts, yes. But I don’t think that they have an inner monologue or voice.

You could probably ask someone who has no inner voice. I think animals might be more similar to that.

• rowinxavier@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

No, but that is because they don’t have language.

That said, plenty of humans do not have a voiced internal experience. The lack of language does not imply a lack of cognition. I would expect that the brain of a closely related organism, say a chimp, would have many similar experiences generated by the same stimuli. Would they experience green like I experience green? I can’t even say that about a person sitting next to me, but they probably have an equivalent experience.

That said, if we had a way of communicating could we reach agreed terms? I can do that with my cat, so I would think he has an understanding of me and my behaviours along with what tends to happen when I do certain things like clap then shake my hands at the end of a treat session. He knows there are no more treats, he associates that with my hands clapping and shaking, so we communicate. Does he have a voice in his head describing it? Probably not. Does he have Meows? Again, probably not, but he would have a sense and memories of previous times.

• Noxy@yiffit.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

they don’t have language

Have you never seen a dog wag their tail or play bow?

Have you never seen a squirrel twitching their tail at another squirrel who’s encroached on their territory?

Have you never encountered any media about whale songs?

All kinds of animals have all kinds of language.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I meant to say language in the linguistics sense, a series of abstract items which can be arranged to convey arbitrary meaning. For example, a dog barking can be a threat display, a warning, playful, sad, afraid, and so on. But can you use barking to create grammar? With grammar you could have labels for items in the world and use various barks to refer to them, make requests, ask questions, and so on. Some types of animals have warning calls that are specific to types of predators, for example an eagle call or a leopard call. Leopards require different responses than eagles so the distinction is very useful and helps others to respond. This is not quite language but is definitely a step in the right direction.

So yes, you are correct, lots of animals can communicate things to each other, but it is not the same as language like what humans have. Could we find an animal that does have language? Or something very close? Sure, but we haven’t shown that yet. Maybe we should focus on giving other animals a chance to develop before we wipe them all out.

• Noxy@yiffit.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

but it is not the same as language like what humans have

And it doesn’t have to be. In fact this sort of thinking can limit how we learn about other animals.

Dogs don’t pass the mirror test for self awareness like some corvids and a few other animals do. But dogs don’t experience each other primarily through vision, scent is much more their main sense. So is that even a valid test for canid self awareness?

• treefrog@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Some animals do have language and animals that are around people a lot likely have an inner voice that is their owner’s voice.

They likely don’t plan using this voice, the way people do. But it certainly influences their behavior.

A dog that’s been yelled at for getting in the garbage might hear a no in their head even if their owners at work.

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

This is something I’ve always been highly skeptical of. As a somewhat experienced meditator, I’m hyper-aware of the constant flood of self-talk happening in my head, but I don’t remember paying particular attention to it before I started practicing. It has always been there, but until then, I hadn’t paid any special attention to it. Whenever this subject comes up with people who don’t meditate, they often seem to live under the illusion that, except for intentional thoughts, their mind is more or less silent the rest of the time. I’d argue that 99.9% of people couldn’t sit for 20 seconds without letting their mind wander, even if their life depended on it. Even I couldn’t, despite my experience in meditation.

That’s why I think that when people are asked whether they have this inner voice or not, some say no because they’re not aware of it. Not having it would effectively be synonymous with being enlightened.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I have internal voice sometimes but not others. In some things my cognition is far more verbal, working through something like a monologue or conversation. Other times I may have more of a mental image of something, sometimes more in real space and sometimes completely disconnected from real space. Sometimes it is much more abstract with sensations and emotions with very little in terms of concrete metaphores.

Also I can have racing thoughts without it being language. I also have impacts on those racing thoughts from taking Ritalin (ADHD medication) and it is not just the word thoughts but also the flow of other types of cognition.

• treefrog@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Also an experienced meditator.

Not everyone thinks in words. Some people think in pictures. Or in other sense consciousnesses. As an experienced cook, I can think in taste and smell without any auditory component of ‘what should I put in this dish’. For example.

As for word thinking, passive thoughts are more auditory and active thoughts more somatic (throat and jaw muscles will move). These can be decoupled from the sense of I making, especially passive thoughts.

At which point you get thoughts think themselves, to quote Jack Kornfield. A sort of bubbling up of passive thoughts in voices that aren’t mine.

It’s likely animals that live close to people experience this. The owners voice yelling no when they do something the owner wouldn’t like, even if the owner isn’t around.

Anyway, trying to not think can be like holding your breath. I can do that for awhile. But it’s not right effort. Letting thoughts settle, like sand in a glass of water. And letting go of the sense of I making. The mind will rest quite naturally. That’s calm abiding.

In other words, it’s attachment to the inner voice that’s making it difficult for you to imagine that a lot of people think in pictures or other ways. And noticing this sense of attachment in your practice with the intention of letting it go, might deepen your insight into yourself and what others may or may not experience.

Edit: this listening meditation is helpful for me in letting go of attachment to the inner voice. As is annapanasati, especially the third tetrad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OW9LNSVjPo

• Iapar@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Animals have thoughts, that is clear as day.

Inner Monolog? In a way. But not like us because they don’t speak English motherfucker.

• norimee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Have you ever been close to a cat? I cant believe they can be wacky like this without some sort of inner monologue and intention.

• jordanlund@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Probably not expressed as a voice, but definitely thinking.

One of our cats would regularly get “that look” on her face and we’d tell her “Lorelei! Stop thinking evil thoughts!” then she’d go on a tear. Clearly plotting what she was going to do.