Stand Up To Racism have organised a lot of protests against the Nazi rioters on British streets. Handy list, here, though it by no means covers all the planned riots.

• Obinice@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Stop the far right events in your area

That’s the police’s job, not a civilian like myself. If you’re able to tell me when and where these events will be, then the police are aware and will be in attendance.

Do you really think I’m equipped to subdue someone like the bloke that chased a muslim out of a petrol station near me today with a CHAINSAW…?

The police are trained, equipped and legally in the clear to attack such people. I on the other hand am not. I will not be attending the far right riots and attacks to attempt to stop them.

There’s standing up to racism, and then there’s being reckless with one’s own safety.

I agree with the idealist sentiment of standing up for goodness and counter protesting of course, but let’s consider reality for a moment. These are riots, not protests (or protests that are on the tipping point of becoming riots).

At best, our attendance to what - mock, jeer and antagonise the far right rioters? - won’t go down well, and could easily lead to even worse violence. At worst, it could lead further, to deaths or life-changing injuries.

Let the police do their jobs. We can fight back in so many other ways that don’t involve physically confronting an angry violent mob in the streets.

Stay safe <3

• frankPodmore@slrpnk.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I appreicate your concern for others’ safety, and you’re correct that the police are the best people to deal with these thugs.

Having said that, I’ve already read several stories about potential riots that have been defused by large numbers of peaceful demonstrators turning up to oppose the fascists. Once these guys see the evidence that they’re in the minority - or just that there are a lot of eyewitneses around - they often back off. That leaves the police better able to deal with the minority within the minority who are really determined to cause trouble.

• Spiral@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

This is what happened in Bristol tonight. There was just so many of us, the fash had no way to even start anything. All because people actually showed up and just stood there together. There’s safety in numbers.

• Theme@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Happened for us in Soton too. Completely outnumbered them, the image of 10 thuggish bellends dwarfed by hundreds of anti-racism protesters was pretty powerful. I imagine it’s the same in most places, especially Brighton and Bristol

• FelixCress@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

Meanwhile:

"Across the country, hundreds have gathered to counter the more than 100 far-right rallies planned at immigration centres, lawyers’ office and charities.

Huge numbers have shown up in Bristol following a clash over the weekend between anti-immigration protesters, counter-protesters and police.

In Liverpool, hundreds formed a human shield around a church targeted for its immigration advice centre. About 200 counter-protesters gathered in Birmingham, chanting “Fascist scum out of Brum”.

In Brighton, the few anti-immigration protesters gathered outside a law office were so outnumbered by counter-protesters that the police there surrounded the anti-immigration protesters for their protection. With the exception of a small fight that broke out earlier on Queens Road, the counter-protest had the atmosphere of a street carnival, with a samba band playing and people loudly singing.

Meanwhile, in Walthamstow in east London, crowds of anti-racist protesters amassed in the streets, holding signs reading “EDL (English Defence League) Not Welcome in Walthamstow” and “No Room for Racism”.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2024/aug/07/uk-riots-far-right-latest-unrest-southport-stabbings-politics?CMP=share_btn_url&page=with%3Ablock-66b3bedb8f084f608f90ce7a#block-66b3bedb8f084f608f90ce7a

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

These nutters are out of control, they’ve decided to start targeting the supermarkets like Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s because they dare hire Muslims.

Obviously I’m not going to risk my life in defense of Tesco but, at the same time, these people need standing up to and told what we think of them otherwise they’re just going to continue to insist that they have the backing of the public.