alt text:

They left the belt drive in place but switched which wheel was powered, so people could choose between a regular ride, a long ride, and a REALLY long ride.

https://explainxkcd.com/2973/

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    26 days ago

For the Explain XKCD article:

The typical Ferris wheel has a diameter of about 200 feet and usually takes around 10 minutes per full rotation. The apparent ratio between the connected wheels in the comic is approximately 12.5:1, meaning the motion is significantly sped up as it’s transferred. The second Ferris wheel, driven by the first, could spin at around 1.3 rpm, with passengers moving at 9 mph (14 km/h), which is faster than usual but not inherently dangerous. However, when this motion is further transferred to the third Ferris wheel, it could spin at 16 rpm, with passengers traveling at over 110 mph (180 km/h), subjecting them to 8 Gs of force—conditions that would be hazardous.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

I have never been on a ferris wheel that takes 10 minutes to make a rotation. Not even remotely close to that. But I’ve mainly over ever been on under 200 foot wheels before. I’d say typical ones aren’t 200 foot or more. Six Flags St Louis has a bigger Than average looking one and it is like 180 feet. They make them a lot bigger, but I don’t think there’s that many.