• SituationCake@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

The spelling bee show on abc has the potential to be entertaining, however, the host Guy Montgomery is exceptionally creepy to me. There’s something about his voice and mannerisms that gives me uncanny valley murderous vibes. I am probably alone in this but feel better now that it’s off my chest.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Of course they did. It is universal that in every workplace people exist who just turn up and tick boxes, they have no care of their impacts on anyone else - clients, coworkers, the public etc. Zero f’s and zero diligence. Sometimes their mundane box ticking is harmless, but in some positions it can be very destructive. I don’t even know how a business could ban the use of AI. Even if block in company IT, someone could just do it on their phone and copy paste. The ban would only be useful if the person was discovered, and then probably have to go through the warning process. But damage already done. So unfortunately I think we are stuck with it forever from now on. Enshitification of the world continues.

• Pilk@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

People need to realise how easy it is for a human to figure out synthetic content. At least, with the current state of AI text generation.

I don’t think it shouldn’t be used (edit: This context is one of many exceptions); I do think it should be clearly labelled as synthetic.

Reddit is a wasteland for this shit already, though. Probably too late.

• melbaboutown@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 hours ago

The problem is not only does it make poor recommendations that affect the legal outcome and safety of the child.

The LLM has also now got hold of sensitive and potentially identifiable personal information, which is now subject to the company’s own rules of how that information will be handled and disclosed.

Edit: The gathering of the sensitive personal information also wasn’t disclosed or consented to.

So I don’t think it should be used for this purpose. The use here was completely inappropriate.

I’ve also refused to allow my GP to use AI to take notes during the consultation, because I don’t think the owner of that technology should have access to my medical information or give itself permission to disclose it.

Ps. In the infancy of AI I used to participate in citizen science projects as a volunteer, training the models to recognise slides with cancer cells. I also watched in interest as it was used to generate simple forms challenging parking fines (?) for those who couldn’t afford legal assistance.

So it’s not like I’m screaming about progress being bad and Thomas Edison being a witch. I simply think a lot of corner cutting and misuse is happening without regulations, and leading to real harm.

• wscholermann@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 hours ago

Just found out a neighbor (man in his 60s) was being love scammed. Relatives have been warming him for six months it’s a scam.

Now he’s spent all of his savings and he’s been evicted.

I have some sympathy, but I can’t help but think his pig headedness is a big contributor here.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 hours ago

Happened to my FIL and it wasn’t even over the internets. Real life.

She even forged his will.

Regarding your neighbour’s pigheadedness. The scammers target people with those personality traits, they test for it.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 hours ago

ignorance, pigheadedness, gullibility, sexism.

They will look like an obvious scammer so it weeds out the ones who know about scams.

They tell obvious lies and see if the other person will let the lie pass. They test to see if the victim, if male, is sexist, a sexist victim doesn’t think they can be outsmarted by a woman. They play victim. They flatter. etc etc

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

Interesting. Well I just found out this guy has been scammed by a phillipino woman before. Guy bought the woman a farm in Thailand then she dumped him.

So this is actually round 2 for being scammed. At this point I want to believe it’s some kind of mental illness.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 hours ago

It would take a certain personality to believe that a random international internet stranger who is much younger, very good looking, flirty and generous with flattery would develop an instant adoration and sexual attraction for someone they’ve never met.

I think there might be a subgroup of victims who fall for it out of loneliness, even if they may suspect something is not right they continue because it’s respite from their loneliness. But sounds like your neighbour is not in that group, and just has a lot of ego.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 hours ago

Sometimes people are just very lonely. Combine that with naivete and pride and you have a very vulnerable person

• PeelerSheila @aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

Yeah! My birth certificate arrived! Now I can begin the process of getting my driver’s licence! 🙂😬😳🙂😬😳

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

Do people honestly breeze through life living safe and carefree? I just can’t. Way too many bad things have happened to me to live in such a delulu state.

• dumblederp@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 hours ago

Per Buddhism, Sickness, ageing and death are universal sufferings, everyone experiences them. The First Noble Truth is that All life is suffering. There’s no escaping it. Sure some people have what appear to be easier lives, but everyone is suffering. The theory is that we get to choose how affected by that suffering we are.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

It’s true that some people have an easier path. It starts right at birth, eg born to good family, no serious health issues, no disabilities, born into a safe neighbourhood, opportunities at a good school, etc. Or unlucky to get all the opposites. And then stuff happens in life, a lot of which we can’t control. The good and bad stuff is not evenly distributed. Some people get lots of good, some lots of bad, most of us get some of each. All you can do is make the best of the cards you’re dealt. That’s it. It’s normal to be more cautious and pessimistic if you’ve had a lot of bad stuff happen. The trick is to find ways to move forward, and say to yourself each day is a new day.

• TheWitchofThornbury@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

No. Or rather, not all the time. I’ve had some baaad shit when I was younger which was largely of my own making, but have come now to a safe haven. Which I will defend with my life. I intend to live long enough to be a nuisance to my younger relatives. It will be good for their souls if they have any such thing. This should not be difficult I think.

• Gibsonhasafluffybutt@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 hours ago

It depends what you choose to focus on.

If I let what I’ve experienced be my focus I would dig a hole and lay down in it.

From my perspective, I do my best to never let any of the negative stuff I’ve experienced stop me from living the life I want.

I fail often. But I never give up. We may not be able to change the things that make our lives harder, but we can still live our lives on our own terms.

Edit: We can’t let our pain define us.

• CEOofmyhouse56@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

I was in Footscray a while back and my husband said “we’ll cross here” and I said “no we won’t” and we kept walking. He understood I saw something he didn’t. So if you’re talking about personal safety yeah some people walk through life unfazed and for some of us (most women) have our eyes and ears open at all times whilst outside.

• Catfish@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 hours ago

I’ve been in Foots for eight years now. Totally seen some drug shit, but the unsafest I’ve ever felt had nothing to do with any of that. Boyo on the other hand has had repeated and frequent mugging attempts and is totally fed up. They really shouldn’t try that, he hits fight mode at explosive speed and does not play nice.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 hours ago

We were walking through the mall? and I noticed a derro on the other side asking just the women who were walking past a question and getting angry at their response. It’s not my stomping ground so my senses were a little more heightened than usual.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

even people who live a financially secure life can have bad things happen. Illness, accident, bereavement, interactions with bad people, victims of crime, natural disaster could happen, war

Like Pilk said, the middle path is best. It can be a struggle tho to remember that bad times are usually short lived,

But more than that …

I’ve read whole books on this, philosophy and psychiatry books. People who live best are those who have stable healthy relationships with friends and family . This helps them cope with adversity and brings extra joy in good times.

• Pilk@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

You come across as a naturally pessimistic/depressive person. There is absolutely a middle ground between that and delusional optimism.

• just_kitten@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 hours ago

I know not of this cold basking in 22C and full sun out in Bestern Australia. 29C tomorrow, then a Melbourne-esque pivot to 19C and rain on Friday before I head home.

I’m not really that keen on going back to work at one of my jobs after this…

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

Are the snap together joints giving out under the weight? It looks like a lot of unsupported limbs there and unequal distribution of weight.

I dunno if a dab of glue or green stuff at the joins would be cheating but perhaps if you built the legs first as kind of an arch, perhaps with something supporting them underneath, and then assembled the rest of it while being supported by a doll frame.

The head is over the neck and over one leg so maybe that might stay put. The tail is going to be most at risk of snapping off

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

the pieces are small, 90% are 1x1 and there are no spanning pieces larger than 2x1 to hold it all together. iow, can’t do proper brick laying

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 hours ago

Yeah, I’m not a Lego person, was just thinking about how buildings and bridges stayed up… but yeah I think they put more work into marketing than functionality and it just won’t work :( It seems very poorly designed.

Edit: If you were curious though the bit at 2:17 was my thought process https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iqyLlscQrvQ

Superglue alone often needs to be supported as it dries or might not be strong enough

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 hours ago

That looks cool, I love looking at new hobbies. I might do that if I wanted to keep the big model but I want to pull it apart and rebuild the 12 little dinosaurs.

• imoldgreeeg@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

…pakidge…

Ran out of monthly audiobook hours on spotify half way through listening to Reaper Man (part of an ongoing quest to finally read/listen to all the Terry Pratchett books). But I had a voucher for amazon from a stuffed up delivery so I bought an actual book copy because it’s probably my favourite so far.

• TinyBreak@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

Mrs’s cat came over and went “I want a pat… wait, your not mrs B! Wait… is she around? Can she see us? hmmm, ok, you may pat me but ONLY if you dont tell her I am cheating”. Her cat and I have a very complicated relationship.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 hours ago

The thing I love the most about cats, and maybe Gibson in particular, is the sheer fucking audacity and attitude for a ball of fluff that is literally 1/20th my size.

Zero fucks given. “I do what I want, when I want and too fucking bad if you don’t like it. If you try to stop me in any way, I will make your life miserable for as long as I deem necessary”.

I respect the confidence lol

• TinyBreak@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 hours ago

My cat was lounging on the window sill in the sun the other day when he decided my pot plant was an affront to him and he punted it onto the ground. So yea, I agree with your assessment and no it’s not just Gibson.

• Eagle@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 hours ago

My Pepper has that confidence. All 3kg of her, and it’d only directed at me. Every one else gets lovey Pepper, I get spicy bitch cat! I still love her, and suffer multiple scratches from trying to show her how much.

• Taleya@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Looking up ideas to make a new 3d filament rack…and seeing a lot of clearly “man putting hobby in closet so can hide to please wife”

…so glad I’m the wife. And the resident trashpanda. And we have our own offices that the other person gets zero fucking say on.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 hours ago

To be fair some of it could be ‘hobby in closet so you yourself don’t trip over it’

I used to consider putting a small desk and folding chair inside a closet so whenever I wasn’t working on something I could just shut the door.

<— also a trash panda

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

I don’t know what any of that means but I can tell you if you leave anything on my kitchen (my office) table it will be seriously pointed at until it is removed.

• Taleya@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 hours ago

We kinda started that with the dining table, but then, cats, north facing window, so …we just gave up.

if there’s room for a cat to sprawl, we good

• Taleya@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 hours ago

nah, I’m talking about other couples I’ve observed. His Lordship and I are good. 'tis why when hunting we had a minimum three bedrooms. we can’t even share an office because his is all just “me work from home hence me have office” whereas mine is “I work from home / sew/ d print / scream at video games / build rack servers / swear at things / cats everywhere / it’s a fucking muppet workshop.”

• Taleya@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 hours ago

I will admit he’s actually gotten more personality in the new place - mostly because we own so he can punch holes and hang his road bike and shizz. but we don’t actually tend to ikea furniture save some weird niche pieces anyway.

I did go much much bolder in my office though, from paint to parts. I’m actually dragging my arse on putting in the network cabling because I’m making a custom wall mount patch panel based on the old servant bells layout. I want pretty dammit, and I shall have it.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 hours ago

Mr Seagoon has a big office, it’s a mostly serious place because he is serious about his work and serious about work privacy. Izza job . When he has time he is welcoming .

me, I need another desk, one for writing and one for art and crafts. Tho I have realised that much of my sewing/knitting etc is expression too as I do my own designing .

• Taleya@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 hours ago

i have a giant L desk I slapped an extension on for work / fucking around - holds my main rig, work laptop, and a kvm area with room to build servers. Then there’s an ancient and oh so sinfully comfy two seater couch thing I’ve had since last century the cats have entirely claimed, a giant workbench on the other wall, old school corner hutch / shelving for my printer - previously for sewing, but I didn’t have enough elbow room so I built a mobile table with foldout wings - and of course my massive fuckoff bookcase for stuff that’s not going in the wraparound in the lounge. Still never enough bench space. Never will be

• Tofu@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 hours ago

Beep Beep 🚚
    🍏🍎🍐🍊🍋🍈🫐🍓🍇🍉🍌🍒🍑🥭🍍🥥🥦🥑🫛🍆🍅🥝🥬🥒🌽🥕🥐🍠🫚🥔🧅🥯🍞🥖🥨🧀🧇🥞🧈🍳🥚🥓🥩🍗🍖🫓🍕🍟🍔🌭🥙🧆🌮🌯🥗🍲🍜🍝🥘🍛🍣🍱🥟🦪🍥🍘🍚🍙🐠🍤🪼🦀🐙 🍗🥮🍢🍡🍧🍰🧁🥧🍦🍨🎂🍮🍭🍬🍫🥜🌰🍪🍿🍯🥛☕️🍵🍺🍶🥤🧋🧃🥂🍷🥃🍸🍹🧉🔋

• SpinMeAround@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

Interview went well! Hopefully hear if I’m onto the next stage tomorrow. Will also include a practical test, but let’s see what happens! Thanks for the good vibes, peeps!!

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    13 hours ago

There’s nothing like having a nice relaxing bath with… an audience and running commentary. I provided the entertainment now they need to make me a cuppa tea.

• Duenan@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      12 hours ago

Audience and running commentary?

What were you doing? A bathtub performance?

Did you at least score 9s?

They owe you a cuppa for sure.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

Just doing the usual things you do in a bath in privacy of your own home. I don’t know about the score but I got recommendations of beauty products.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

Yeah. They set up camp on the mat then the little one tried to get in with me. I replied “This is a one woman bath my friend”.

• Seagoon_@aussie.zoneOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

I might have a slow day today, just do stuff slowly and without stress and also try to finish this dinosaur lego thing I have. 🙂

• Duenan@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 hours ago

Rainy today. I’m sitting here with the heater one and the sound of traffic and rain on.

Don’t know is this is of any interest to you because it comes from a video game ambit late last night I started a game called Death Stranding and the vibes from the intro sequence which was mostly cinematic reminded me of you and what you might enjoy watching.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    15 hours ago

So I think we solved the mystery of the rabbit: a tiny hole has been discovered by Miniest on the fence line. Last night Mr P heard someone next door calling something before the rabbit disappeared again. The neighbours must have gotten a rabbit at some point and put/built a hutch on the other side of the fence, perhaps using the fence as a wall of the hutch 🤔🤦🏼‍♀️ After a couple of visits this morning (it wasn’t happy Mr P had rearranged things in his man cave; it’d started making a cozy little spot for itself under his couch near the warmth of the heater) Mr P said he’s going to block the hole. I’ll pop a note in their letterbox telling them what’s happened and suggesting that they reinforce their side of the fence where the hutch is.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

I had a pet rabbit once upon a time. He lived inside with me and my partner.

His name was Totoro and he had floppy ears.

Miss that little dude.

• TinyBreak@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      15 hours ago

Had a mate whos neighbors had a rabbit they just couldnt contain. The thing was like Houdini. No matter how hard they tried it would always escape. A different neighbors kid apparently went to their parents as were like “mummy mummy, there is a loaf of bread in the front yard! now a bird is attacking it!” It survived that one. It sadly didnt survive the neighbour with a greyhound. The greyhound owners were super apologetic, the rabbit owners were upset but said “we tried so hard, but we knew this day was gonna come, unless we kept it chained up this was gonna happen”.

• Baku@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 hours ago

We briefly owned a rabbit when I was younger. The next door neighbour packed all her stuff up and moved to Perth and couldn’t be bothered bringing most of her animals. She had a rabbit, 3 cats, and 2 dogs. She took the dogs and left the rest. Mum assumed the RSPCA would probably put them all down (they were all getting old), so we ended up with most of them.

The rabbit was absolutely dark magic. It got out twice, and we ended up building a little rabbit-run for it with chicken wire and wood. But we didn’t do a good enough job, and it snuck out the corner. Everytime it ran away, it ended up in the yard of some kids down the road. Eventually mum decided it was too difficult and asked their parents, and then the rabbit became the kids problem!

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 hours ago

That’s what worried me too… one of the neighbours has a hunting breed of dog, bunny would’ve been toast if it’d gone to that yard instead, and there are heaps of tall trees with ravens and magpies.

• TinyBreak@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          15 hours ago

Yeah, apparently the greyhound owner went over and warned them before it went down. Something like “I know your trying, but just to be clear if you rabbit escapes into my yard, it wont be escaping again. Sorry, but there is nothing I can do to prevent it”.