Just started getting this now. Hopefully it’s some A/B testing that they’ll stop doing, but I’m not holding my breath

• csm10495@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 hours ago

I know this may come off as a surprise: but I imagine that requiring JS in 2024 isn’t a big deal to most people.

Now of course Lemmy skews more into that small crowd.

I don’t blame any website for requiring JS for full functionality in 2024.

• PresidentCamacho@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

All of the people replying to this saying you shouldn’t need JS are totally unaware how modern web development works.

Yes, you could do many sites without JS, but the entire workforce for web development is trained with JS frameworks. To do otherwise would slow development time down significantly, not allow for certain functionality to exist (functionality you would 100% be unhappy was missing).

Its not a question of possibility, its a question of feasibility.

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 hours ago

My question is if it wasn’t required before and is required now, what changed? It’s not like Google has added a killer feature recently - this is almost certainly related to those shitty AI answers that are forcing your actual search results even further down the page than they were already.

• auzy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

Even things like lazy loading and such require js though

A lot of features might not be obvious honestly

If you’re interested though, you could check the source which should be able to tell you immediately what they use it for

• Crashumbc@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            44 minutes ago

I love how Lemmy users just assume everyone is a coder… Just a funny observation, not being rude. Lol

• filcuk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 hours ago

It’s far more than that. Even on a basic search page. Ever expanded the ‘Peaplo also ask’ section, for example? It loads more results based on your scroll position or interaction.
        There’s loads of little things like this, you may just not notice or care about it - which is another discussion.

• Flipper@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

For full functionality sure. For basic functionality no. Searching on Google is basic functionality I’d say.

• unrelatedkeg@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 hours ago

Not really. Showing ads and gobbling up data is Google Search’s core functionality, and JS is indispensible for that.

• stoly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

You should still be able to use something like Lynx to browse and search. There’s no reason to block basic functionality except that you can and don’t care.