Disney made an estimated $296.4 million loss at the box office on just two of its Marvel superhero movies in 2023 according to analysis of recently-released financial statements.

They reveal that the cost of making The Marvels and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania came to a staggering $762.4 million (£609.3 million) before Disney banked $124.9 million (£99.4 million) in government incentives bringing its net spending on the movies down to $637.5 million. They both bombed at the box office.

According to industry analyst Box Office Mojo, the movies grossed a combined $682.2 million with theaters typically retaining 50% of the takings and the remainder going to the studio. This reflects the findings of film industry consultant Stephen Follows who interviewed 1,235 film professionals in 2014 and concluded that, according to studios, theaters keep 49% of the takings on average. It would give Disney just $341.1 million from The Marvels and Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. No expense was spared on them.

Disney does not publicly discuss how much it spends on specific productions and did not respond to a request for comment. Budgets are usually a closely-guarded secret. This is because studios combine the costs of individual pictures in their overall expenses and their filings don’t itemize how much was spent on each one. Films made in the UK are exceptions and both The Marvels and Quantumania fall into this category.

Studios shoot in the UK to benefit from its Audio-Visual Expenditure Credit (AVEC) which gives them a cash reimbursement of up to 25.5% of the money they spend in the country.

To qualify for the reimbursement, at least 10% of the production costs need to relate to activities in the UK. In order to demonstrate this to the UK government, studios tend to set up a separate production company in the country for each movie they make there.

The companies have to file financial statements which shine a spotlight on their budgets. They reveal everything from the headcount and salaries to the level of reimbursement and the total costs. Studios directly receive the revenue from theater tickets, streaming and Blu-ray sales and carry the costs of marketing as the function of the UK companies is purely making the movies.

• wrig9547@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    15 hours ago

I’m sorry, did I just read that DISNEY received $125 Million in government incentives to make a comic book movie?

• protist@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      14 hours ago

Studios shoot in the UK to benefit from its Audio-Visual Expenditure Credit (AVEC) which gives them a cash reimbursement of up to 25.5% of the money they spend in the country.

It’s not like they were handed a blank check, they spent hundreds of millions more paying people and buying stuff in the UK to get that rebate

• PineRune@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        14 hours ago

“As the CEO, if I pay myself $100 million for making this movie, I will get $25 million of that back from government reimbursement.”

No big budget movie will ever make a profit because they make sure the big wigs get paid the amount the profit would have been. It is intentional.

• protist@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          14 hours ago

It goes into more detail in the article about how they qualify for that rebate, and no, that’s not how it works.

• PineRune@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            13 hours ago

Easy. I’m the new CEO of the company we set up there. Employee salary is an expenditure, and being a company in that country, it qualifies for that rebate unless there’s more details I’m missing. I was also grossly over-simplifying in my original comment, I’m sure it’s more complicated than that. I also just attribute Hollywood Accounting (see other commenter’s post) to anything listed as a box office loss.

• MrScottyTay@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 hours ago

In the UK things like that get checked when it comes to grants, they will usually only be valid purchases if spent with approved companies.