• mox@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

With no context, this could be an honest attempt to learn about different tools, a thinly veiled set-up to promote a specific language, or an attempt to stir up drama. I can’t tell which.

It’s curious how such specific conditions are embedded into the question with no explanation of why, yet “memory safe” is included among them without specifying what kind of memory safety.

• Buttons@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

The question mine as well be “what is your favorite compiled language?”. There is a lot of overlap between the possible answers.

• demesisx@infosec.pub
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

As others have said, Haskell and Rust are pretty great. A language that hasn’t been mentioned that I REALLY want to catch on, though, is Unison.

• sus@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

Garbage collection is still allowed, and technically JIT languages are still compiled so it really isn’t that restrictive

• Lambda@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

Ada, hands down. Every time I go to learn Rust I’m disappointed by the lack of safety. I get that it’s miles ahead of C++, but that’s not much. I get that it strikes a much better balance than Ada (it’s not too hard to get it to compile) but it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of safe interfacing. Plus it’s memory model is more complicated than it needs to be (though Ada’s secondary stack takes some getting used to).

I wonder if any other Ada devs have experience with rust and can make a better comparison?

• refalo@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

I would use Ada or Spark in a heartbeat if there was an easy-to-use, mature cross-platform GUI library for it.