• Carl@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

9% of the world that still uses mph as a unit of measure includes the USA, Myanmar, Liberia, and the UK. I am part of the 91%.

• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Oh yeah I’m making jokes but I can only imagine what these people are about to go through.

My father was in NC when Helene hit and almost died as the road he was on collapsed down the mountain. That’s 3 whole ass states away from the hurricane landing and it still did that much damage. Milton is gonna seriously fuck people up.

• Kalkaline @leminal.space
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

It’s going to be just like the rest of the world’s problems, this quote sums it up best: “An SEP,’ he said, ‘is something that we can’t see, or don’t see, or our brain doesn’t let us see, because we think that it’s somebody else’s problem. That’s what SEP means. Somebody Else’s Problem. The brain just edits it out, it’s like a blind spot. If you look at it directly you won’t see it unless you know precisely what it is. Your only hope is to catch it by surprise out of the corner of your eye.” Douglas Adams, Life, the Universe, and Everything

• Fisch
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

I don’t think I’ll live long enough to ever retire 🥳🥰

• Fisch
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

But real talk, I’m actually scared of the consequences of climate change that I’m going to see in my lifetime. I lost all hope that we’ll ever become carbon neutral under capitalism, it’s already being used as nothing more than a marketing term by companies.

• Fisch
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

But what will the shareholders do without my hard work? 😔

• ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

getting back to the climate of 1950 if we would stop pollition immediatly is at least 5000 years. it is called being doomed. by just ONE generation.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

The coastal communities south of Tampa are fucked.

I’m in the cone on the opposite coast so I should be alright just worried about extended power outage and flooded roads trapping me.

It’s absolutely insane that this thing is on track to cross the state and STILL BE A CAT 1/2 HURRICANE ON THE OTHER SIDE.

Ian in 2022 went directly over my head in a similar manner but was a tropical storm by then. Jesus.