First time this happens to me. With a German protonvpn server.

• serenissi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

This can be a soft limit where Youtube limits the connection rate so that artificially inflating view count becomes more costly. There are inexpensive ‘services’ especially in India or Pakistan where you can buy human (like a whole internet cafe) view times to your scam video to make it float in suggestions and to promote a channel.

I don’t work for youtube so it is just a guess.

• Telorand@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 hours ago

YouTube doesn’t like VPNs. Harder to track you (and sell/monetize your data) if they can’t tell who you are.

• Skvlp@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 hours ago

I desperately want a viable alternative to come along. There’s a lot of great content on YouTube, but the platform is increasingly being enshitified.

• Scolding7300@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

There’s platforms like Nebula that noticed the decline and also wanted to give creators the freedom to create without needing to deal with an ever changing algorithm

• Skvlp@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 hours ago

I’ve considered Nebula a few times. That could absolutely be the alternative I’m looking for if they keep adding creators and topics and variety.

• hobbsc@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 hours ago

Third party app without an account maybe? Freetube on the desktop and newpipe on the phone is what I like to use. There’s stuff like grayjay, tubearchivist, and pinchflat as well. Or just go straight yt-dlp.

• pathief@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

It’s a gigantic money sink, it’s going to be extremely hard to come up with a profitable (or break even) alternative.

• shortwavesurfer@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

I agree. We just haven’t gotten to the point quite yet. Where the creators revolt. But that stage should appear somewhat shortly.

• Peffse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        13 hours ago

Youtube does a ton of evil stuff, but this one is more tame. I suspect the VPN was used to bot and got banned, so the sign-in is required to better target where the traffic is allowed to go, instead of blanket banning everybody using the service.

• kbal@fedia.io
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 hours ago

I suspect the VPN was used to bot

There are plenty of sources, including even in this thread, indicating that that this is not the problem. Quit making excuses for them.

• kbal@fedia.io
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              7 hours ago

It’s not just you. I’m tired of the whole team of people who are always standing by to bring out similar excuses any time someone decides that in their quest to stop invidious from existing — or whatever google is actually aiming at — it’s acceptable to just mass-block all the VPN users as collateral damage.

• Peffse@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                7 hours ago

It’s not an excuse though. It’s right there in the error message.

Where are people getting the impression I think google is some kind of saint who can do no wrong? I don’t even see the “proof” that is being used to say I’m coming to google’s defense. Just a few anecdotal theories… just like I provided.

• kbal@fedia.io
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 hours ago

Ah, so it’s not you coming up with the stupid excuse that they have legit reasons to think the user might be a nefarious “bot”, you’re just passing along the stupid excuse as you interpret it from the meaningless message direct from Google. That explains where you got the idea that “viewbots” had anything to do with it, I guess.

• Peffse@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 hours ago

Bot can automate views. It’s why Youtube keeps trying to move towards “engagement”. Comments, likes, etc, all require an account, which is an extra hurdle for bots.

• umami_wasabi@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 hours ago

Then I will they just doing half the work. They can just get the site account walled for that goal, not a half patch work of blocking VPN users.

• circuscritic@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 hours ago

You’re on Android use NewPipe and it’s forks, personally I prefer Tubular and PipePipe.

Periodically YouTube will break, but both of those forks, as well as new pipe prime, update fairly quickly.

GrayJay it’s interesting. It has different feel and feature set than newpipe, but it’s worth using. I will say I get more login errors with GrayJay, but closing the app and reopening it resolves it.

All the piped apps will be in f-droid/droidify, you can download GrayJay directly, or just scan the QR to add the repo to a FOSS repo manager.

• disguised_doge@kbin.earth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

Been seeing that a fair bit too lately. Freetube, Grayjay, and Newpipe seem so sometimes get around it, even if the error is in the browser the video will sometimes load in those apps from the same IP. If you get lucky and find a working invidious/piped instance that might work too.

Otherwise, turning on a VPN and switching between servers will usually eventually lead to a working one. That, and if you’re up for it, check to see if your favorite creators are on places like Peertube, Odysee, or Rumble that don’t block IPs like YouTube does.

• Onihikage@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Try clicking the sign in button, then navigating back to the video without actually signing in. Seems to work every time I’ve tried it so far.

• parpol@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

This is the result of them blocking invidious. They targeted large Datacenter nodes and check for the number of requests from those datacenters that aren’t logged in, and block them until that number meets a certain threshold. This also causes people with VPNs to get this message. The solution is to connect to smaller self-hosted invidious instances or using proxies hosted on normal residential ips.

• bruhSoulz@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    12 hours ago

Yea, been having this BIGTIME. Even occurs on grayjay, and pipe apps (newpipe, etc.) Its aggravating. Can’t even download vids either, and the ones u have downloaded are held ransom until u turn it off too 😂 at least in my case. Fuck google.

• Chump [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 hours ago

the stupidest thing about this is that I literally am signed into youtube (yeah yeah, I know), and I still get this shit!

• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    12 hours ago

Have you considered trying out NewPipe or its fork Tubular (with SponsorBlocck built in)?

• unexposedhazard
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Yeah when google breaks something newpipe and its forks usually get updated within a day or two. I really gotta donate to them again.

• circuscritic@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

You’re on Android use NewPipe and it’s forks, personally I prefer Tubular and PipePipe.

Periodically YouTube will break, but both of those forks, as well as new pipe prime, update fairly quickly.

GrayJay is interesting… It has different feel and feature set than newpipe, but it’s worth using. I will say I get more login errors with GrayJay, but closing the app and reopening it resolves them immediately.

All the piped apps will be in f-droid/droidify, you can download GrayJay directly, or just scan the QR to add the repo to a FOSS repo manager.

• circuscritic@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 hours ago

I use both of them everyday. I’m using one of them right now.

Haven’t had that issue.

• blackris
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 hour ago

They are right. If you have that problem, the reason is that those fuckers at Google block your VPN. It will not help to use an alternative app.

• Deckweiss@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            42 minutes ago

Afaik grayjay has some blocking circumvention.

And personally FreeTube worked from the same IP, when regular youtube wanted me to log in.

• bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    12 hours ago

As much as it isn’t preferred, I can usually bypass the sign in shenanigans by going directly to the website to watch something without signing in. I usually only get the login prompt when going through my browser or a search engine.

• bobs_monkey@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

That’s what I mean though, trying to watch any YT video embedded anywhere without being signed in will yield that error, but I usually don’t have that problem on YT’s direct website, even without login. Still ridiculous, but so is Google