• Nunar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

This is complete trash. There are not 3 issue voters here. There are two. A non-vote for Harris is a full vote for greater support for genocide. A vote for Harris has a chance to change that. Any other thoughts on it are completely ridiculous.

• sandbox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

How is voting for pro-genocide Harris going to reduce genocide?

If you have to choose between losing a hand and losing a whole arm, the correct choice isn’t choosing the hand, it’s fighting back against the system that forces you to make that choice.

• Tartas1995
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 hours ago

This sounds like the meme.

“You might lose your whole arm, instead of an hand, but that is a sacrifice that I am willing to take.”

Also false dichotomy. You can vote Harris and protest. You could literally vote for Harris and join a violent militia group to overthrow Harris.

• Rekorse@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 hours ago

Its not a false dichotomy, as the choice is trump or biden and you can only vote for one.

You also would be better off thinking about what the person wrote instead of parroting back a meme that uses similar words.

Not even sure where you think that comes from because its either horribly misquoted or its literally not a common saying.

• Tartas1995
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

You seem to misunderstand. I am not saying trump or Harris (not Biden) is a false dichotomy. I am saying, voting for Harris and fighting the system is a false dichotomy. Regardless of whether or not Harris is part of the system, you can vote Harris and protest the system.

I did think about what they said. They affectively say, I am willing to risk trump in a seemingly close election between trump and Harris because both are supportive of Israel and therefore they want to vote for a 3rd party candidate. So they are saying on a response to a post which is the meme in question, they are willing to risk a man who said that the IDF has to finish up and finish what they started because then he can feel better about his vote.

I am not sure what quote you mean.

• Tartas1995
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 hours ago

Germans? So because Germany is supportive, Germans are? So us citizens are supportive?

I am not American, don’t worry. But why would that make me a cunt?

Also why wouldn’t I listen to opinions that I disagree with? Do I need to be afraid of them? I can read “mein Kampf” without becoming a Nazi. I recommend you to listen to opinions different your own. Then you are prepared to call people out on their bs because you know the bs to Beginn with.

• Tartas1995
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 hours ago

You wrote “Germans”, I point out that treating a whole country as if they all have 1 opinion, is ridiculous. And then your counter is that?

Yes, Germany is a democracy. That doesn’t mean shit though. There are many different reasons for voting for a party and in the last election, “should Israel commit a genocide?” Wasn’t part of the discussion. So maybe the people in power don’t align with their voters on that issue. But even if it was part of the discussion, so are many different things. So in 2021, Germans might have their reasons to vote for people that they would disagree with now. Democracies are flawed, like any other system of governance.

As I am not German, I don’t want to speak for them, if you are looking for an opinion

• sandbox@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 hours ago

My brother in Christ, it is an analogy. You cannot piss and moan about how anyone who doesn’t support Kamala, implicitly supports Trump, and then tell me that my analogy for how stupid that false dichotomy is, is itself a false dichotomy. I do not understand.

• Tartas1995
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 hours ago

You think I missed the analogy? No, I used your analogy and it works perfectly fine. If you want to drop the analogy because you don’t think the analogy is good, be my guest. Tell me how that counters my point.

I don’t know if you know but due to the fact that the USA is a joke democracy, it sadly isn’t a false dichotomy. Unless you think, you can change NOW (as you don’t have the time to do it later) more than half of the citizens’ opinion and get a 3rd party candidate in power. Which is obviously realistic…

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 hours ago

Where did they say the intention is for a third party to win this election?

Also just because you don’t understand the conversation doesnt mean you should be sarcastic and rude. Overaggressive democrat voters is sort of the joke here in the first place.

• Tartas1995
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 hours ago

You are right… They talking about voting for Harris would be like cutting of a hand and implying that voting for trump is like cutting of a arm; and instead of choosing one of them, one should fight the System; certainly doesn’t carry the implication that one should vote third party.

But I am wondering what am I not understanding about the conversation?

• naught101@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 hours ago

Because genocide support from the US under Trump is likely to be substantially worse than it is under a democrat government.

Your metaphor makes no sense because you can both vote for a lesser evil and take action against genocide in lots of other ways (voting isn’t the only thing you can do)

• sandbox@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 hours ago

I agree with you completely, the problem is that the majority of people will refuse to acknowledge that there’s even a problem to begin with, or even if they do, they act like it’s some sort of fact of reality that they can do nothing about.

All I want from Democrat voters is to acknowledge, “Yes. I am voting for a genocidal candidate, because unfortunately that is the position that my nation’s electoral system has put me in. And I will do everything in my power to change that by …”

• naught101@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

I feel like I’m seeing that attitude a lot. I guess some other people also feel it, but worry that expressing it will reduce the dem vote. Which is unfortunate, but also understandable.

I’m not american, fwiw

• yetAnotherUser
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 hours ago

And the solution to the trolley problem is obviously to stop the trolley from running over anyone. Thank you for solving this philosophical problem.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 hours ago

The trolley problem, where the person who is a murderer is the lever puller rather than whoever tied people to the tracks in the first place.

I think people are abusing that thought experiment a bit.

• yetAnotherUser
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 hour ago

The people tied on the track-thing is somewhat new, the original was with a runaway trolley and workers on either track.

• sandbox@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 hours ago

This isn’t a philosophical thought experiment. If there was a real life trolley problem, the solution is to find a way to stop the fucking train, isn’t it?

• yetAnotherUser
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 hours ago

the solution is to find a way to stop the fucking train

And the solution to the electoral college is to just fucking abolish it? I didn’t know it was this easy! Surely any second the system decides to abolish itself! Any second now…

Unless you abolish the system before the November election, either Trump or Harris will become US president. It is mathematical certainty in the same way that neither Harris nor Trump will be teleported to Mars through spontaneous quantum tunneling.

• sandbox@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 hours ago

The problem isn’t the fucking electoral college. That’s a smokescreen for the real issues at play.

Like it or not, if you vote for Harris, you are complicit in genocide. If you don’t like that, I strongly suggest doing something other than sitting around telling people on the Internet that they’re wrong for having morals which do not align with your own.

• candybrie@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                43 minutes ago

And if you have the ability to vote in the US election and don’t or vote third party, you are complicit in everything the winner does. Like it or not, your choice enabled their presidency.

• yetAnotherUser
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 hours ago

I will never vote for Harris for I am not allowed to do so.

By paying taxes in the US you are far more complicit in enabling genocide by the way. How many shells have you personally financed - including through your productivity when working - may I ask? Obviously you can choose to stop paying taxes and go to prison to become a financial burden. They can’t arrest everyone, can they? Clearly that’s the answer.

Every single US citizen is enabling genocide. The question is how you will stop it. And it most certainly won’t be through making a cross on a piece of paper every 4 years.