I feel like if he gets his way I’ll be prescribed sunshine, exercise, raw milk, and whatever drug a pharmaceutical bribed him to sell, instead of the immunomodulators I really need.

He’s like a mix of your uncle who thinks your chronic illness would go away if you “go outside and get some sunshine, stop being so negative, and eat more xyz” and your aunt who believes “acupuncture and supplements will cure you and all other medicines are a conspiracy”.

• frezik@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

Hell, when it really comes down to it, they don’t surpress things like psychedelics or stem cells, either. In so far as the FDA is involved at all, it’s in following mandates from congress. Those things are suppressed as a matter of policy that’s much broader than the FDA.

• apfelwoiSchoppen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

You can burn a lot of calories and get a lot of vitamin D from cutting the head off of a beached whale. The FDA is terrified of how this is not patentable.

• AllNewTypeFace@leminal.space
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

Exercise suppression is delegated to car-brained urban planners who design single-zoned suburbs without sidewalks where the only way to get exercise is to explicitly make it a consumer activity by driving to a gym to uselessly walk on a treadmill

• grue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

It’s not just urban planners; it’s also the Federal Housing Administration, which created lending guidelines back in the day that redlined all the dense traditional development.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

No, but many doctors would be quick to perscribe you a pill instead of saying you need more sunshine or exercise

• FundMECFSResearch@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

And many doctors would be quick to prescribe you exercise, instead of actually looking at your problems.

I always felt like shit after exercise so I went to see doctors. I saw atleast ten of them over a couple years who presxribed me exercise which seemed to make me worse. After I finally found a doctor who took me seriously, tests found I had a mitochondrial (energy production) disease, and told me exercising will make it worse.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 day ago

I’m glad you got the diagnoisis you needed. I went to a doctor as a teenager because I had the runs for several weeks. I was 99% sure I had gotten a parasite or other gut based sickness, I had done some traveling to a country known for unsafe water and I had also done a lot of camping that summer and didn’t follow the best rules for sanitatizing water. The doctor I saw tried prescribing me an antidepressant, he thought it was depression causing my gastric distress. It took 6 months of trying this diet or cutting out that food etc until they finally decided to test my stool and found I was sick with Giradia. I was basically a skeleton by the time i finally got the treatment I needed. Since that experience, I have a fair amount of distrust for doctors at least when they are quick to throw pills at a problem.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 day ago

Ah yeah they have an obsession with antidepressants. It’s also what I was prescribed alongside with exercise instead of doctors actually looking my body and figuring out whats wrong with me.

The billions of dollars pharmaceutical companies have spent on drug trials trying to show antidepressants cure everything have influenced doctors. Now don’t get me wrong SSRI’s are quite helpful for some diseases like biological depression. But some doctors give them out like candy when they really shouldn’t.

• paddirn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

You mean the guy that had worms eat a portion of his brain might not be all there? What?!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

There’s also some alternative medicine grifters trying to claim stem cells can cure anything. (What they call stem cells is basically just taking cells from people’s right arm and injecting it into their left arm).

Actual stemcell therapy is revolutionary for a few illnesses but doesn’t change much for the rest. But some alternative medicine grifters are trying to capitalise on the hype the name has.

I’m guessing Kennedy believes in the grifters, whose “therapy” has been rejected FDA approval because the is no evidence it works at all.

• Potatisen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Wasn’t there a crazy amount of Americans getting sick from raw milk when that mental illness had its 15min over there?

• Tar_Alcaran@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

Thev raw milk wackos are right that raw milk is much tastier than Supermarket milk, but that’s because of homogenization, not pasteurization.

A local farm here has “unprocessed” milk that is still pasteurized, and it’s absolutely amazing, like drinking a desert. And best of all, it won’t kill you.

• fsxylo@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 hours ago

The only merit raw unpasteurized milk has is that you can make some damned good cheese and butter with it, but that’s controlled fermentation so the risk of getting sick is low.

So I do wish raw milk was more available, just not on supermarket shelves(because idiots will drink that shit)

• Mirshe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Even worse, farms that don’t use things like antiparasitics can allow for milk to transfer parasite eggs, and sometimes live parasites, in the milk. Behind the Bastards did a great episode on the beginnings of the Pure Food and Drug Act, and one of the incidents that was mentioned was that occasionally, before large-scale pasteurization, you would get milk that was literally writhing with worms.

You’re welcome for that thought just before lunch.

• Coldcell@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 hours ago

I may not have the whole picture, but a man previously brain-infected by worms is lowering the barriers and advocating for a vector for more brain worms?

I’ve seen this movie.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

Excuse me, but I’ve seen several people undergo chelation due to heavy metal poisoning, and one of them said “if I didn’t have kids, I’d probably prefer dying to this”. Who in their right mind would do that for no reason?

And I just answered my own question

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 day ago

He has one point I do agree though… Psychedelics should not be banned and get proper study for everything related to mental issues.

There’s a lot we don’t know and there are a lot of studies world wide who do agree that psychedelics in controlled environment can elevated some symptoms; fear of death for terminal ill persons, hard drugs addiction, anxiety, depression… among others.

But hey, just take your SSRI from big pharma which most of the time does worst than help ! (Personal experience).

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

I do an annual camping trip with a big hike to a fairly high point in the area. Most years the group and I will take a small dose of psychedelics. It almost feels like some sort of pilgramage. The fresh air, the wind through the trees, the accomplishment of the hike, the exercise, it is all great and the psychedelics just seem to bundle it all together.

• N0x0n@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 day ago

That’s nice !!

The fresh air, the wind through the trees, the accomplishment of the hike, the exercise, it is all great and the psychedelics just seem to bundle it all together.

Yeah that’s mostly my experience :) It’s somehow “freeing” your mental constructions and you’re just there in the present moment !

However don’t fall into the trap of doing it every time while hiking and being in the fresh air !

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

I agree, but neither should we be selling it in the supermarket.

Of course, there’s a huge range of options between those two.

• RubberDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Let them drink raw milk and shoot bleach into their veins. The issue is self solving.

• DrunkEngineer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    24 hours ago

Oh how quickly people forget all the ways the Obama Administration turned a blind-eye to the Purdue-caused Opioid crisis, and then handed out “get of of jail free” cards to the Sacklers. No matter how much damage Trump does to the health system, it will pale in comparison to the chaos Obama inflicted on the FDA/DEA.