• Agnosis@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I remember I thought “man, this is going to scratch the sci-fi horror itch I have had for years”. Little did I know I was going to watch 2 hours of plot-driving goo and the stupidest group of scientists in history

• anolemmi@lemmi.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Dark Knight Rises was when I decided to start avoiding trailers as best as I can. They showed the best part of the opening scene, with the plane dragging the hull of the other plane through the air…

I remember sitting in the theater that whole scene pretty much knowing what was gonna happen. And when it did, instead of being blown away like anybody should be, I had basically no reaction.

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

You’re spot on. It was around this time where I stopped watching trailers/reading reviews.

I now come into a movie with just a rough 1-2 sentence outline and if it’s worth my time or not. Been a huge game changer.

• _cerpin_taxt_@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

They had released a sneak peak in IMAX of the entire opening scene a few months before release. Nolan does it for all of his movies. That scene was super well known way before the movie came out and was used to build hype.

• iconic_admin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Star Wars the Force Awakens. I remember being super toked when the trailer came out. The movie it self was a B- at best.

• johnthedoe@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Was gonna say Batman vs Superman. Even the title is made for trailer hype. Can still remember the hypetrain at the line “tell me, do you bleed?”

• UserNotFound@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Suicide Squad. Trailers were good, Purple Lamborghini was good track. Everything looked good in trailers. And I saw a movie. Jared Leto as Joker was stupid, film was boring with few good scenes you saw in trailer. Waste of money and time. I know that there are other Suicide Squad movies, Harley Quinn movie. I haven’t seen them and probably I won’t see them

• raker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Wonder Woman 1984 Top notch trailer and terrible movie, that I even not have watched to the end.

• theragu40@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This might be controversial, but for me it was Watchmen.

I was really into the graphic novel when the movie was announced. They dropped this trailer with Smashing Pumpkins “The beginning is the End is the Beginning” playing over it and it was so good. Perfectly captured what I felt the tone of the graphic novel was. Gritty, forlorn, dark, contemplative.

https://youtu.be/wdiHDzT6YbQ?si=K6WoxVts0ZGzSb28

I must have watched that trailer 100 times before the movie came out. Then I saw the movie and it was weirdly campy and totally the opposite of the feel the trailer gave in a lot of places. Which in turn was very different from the feel I got from the graphic novel. I was so disappointed. I’ve never gone back to rewatch it, and I probably should because I think the consensus was that it’s a pretty good movie and being more than a decade removed from reading the book might help me appreciate the movie on its own merit a bit more.

• echoplex21@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Not controversial at all. That trailer was brilliant and it was also right before Dark Knight (or was it DKR) which got me even more excited after experiencing it.

Mind you I still enjoyed the movie (though way more after watching the directors cut).

• _cerpin_taxt_@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Director’s cut is definitely the best version overall, though there’s also an ultimate cut that features an animated Tales of the Black Freighter starring Gerard Butler cut into the movie throughout. Worth checking out at least once. The recent Watchmen show on HBO was also excellent. It serves as a sequel 30 years later.

• Nusm@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I was like a little kid rushing to the theater to see The Phantom Menace. I was so soul-crushingly disappointed after that to this day I’ve never seen the other two prequels. I know they’re supposed to be better than PM, but I don’t care, I’m not watching them.

• Kalash@feddit.ch
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

They are better in the sense that it’s to better to be stuck in shit up to your neck than being stuck in it up to your chin.

• PickTheStick@ttrpg.network
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yes! That fucking Welcome Home had us all thinking it would be a hardcore horror action. It wasn’t bad, but damn, yeah, disappointed is the right word.

• zipzoopaboop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I went to 9 because of the incredible short, but holy crap the movie was some bad anime tier trash. Worst thing I’ve ever seen in theatres.

• Crewman@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I didn’t think it’s was awful, but the trailer absolutely oversold what to expect.

• kowcop@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

For me it was Wonder Woman 1984. I thought the first one was pretty good and the trailer for the second looked like it was something I was going to enjoy… I was wrong

• Wolf Link 🐺@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

How to train your Dragon 3

The trailer(s) had a lot of interesting twists and cool cutscenes, new characters, new “lore” elements … all the good stuff that makes the audience curious for more. Well, it turned out that the trailers spoiled ALL the important plot elements, so the actual movie had basically no extra content other than filler scenes. If you had seen the trailer, there was no need to see the movie.

• simple@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I tend to go into movies without watching the trailers so the only media I saw of HTTYD 3 was the promo image of Hiccup as an adult with a beard. Needless to say I was… Very… Disappointed…

• dan1101@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Drive with Ryan Gosling. Trailer made the movie look exciting but it was more of an artsy film.

• DickFiasco@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Scorcher VI - Global Meltdown. All I remember is the trailer, can’t even remember the movie.