they used to have an on-call maintenance person that could unlock your apartment, but then a couple of years ago the leasing office that ran three buildings got bought by a bigger property management company that runs thousands

• Stephen304@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Same, it’s always good to have a snap gun, plug spinner, and lishi tool on hand.

• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

snap gun, plug spinner, and lishi tool

bottom-speak

Time to learn me some new words about fun stuff.

• Freeanotherday [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I still haven’t got to play around with the Lishi tools much.

I am just a hobbyist so my list of cool shit to try and buy is huge. I waited for reviews before I bought one. That was years ago and everyone loves them .lol

• ZapataCadabra [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Reading these comments I realize I actually have a decent property manager at my place and awesome maintenance guys. While landlords need to be abolished, I think there is justification for a property manager type role for medium to large apartment buildings.

• Tankiedesantski [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

They probably don’t want the potential liability of letting the wrong person into the wrong unit. If they wrote it into their policy, they might have gotten a small discount on their insurance.

I’m not endorsing this, but this might be why.

• SatanicNotMessianic@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Just want to point out that, depending on your state, you may have the right to change the lock, especially if it gets broken as a result of needing the door opened. Even if you don’t have that as a legally secured right, your landlord might let you do it if you’re upgrading to something with a key code or a smart lock, since it’s basically free for them. If nothing else, some smart locks can work with existing locks without having to change them out. If it’s a big company rather than just a landlord, you might need to investigate your rights or go with one of the ones that works with existing locks, but I wanted to throw this out there for anyone who runs into or worries about this problem.

• American_Badass [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Idk, I was a maintenance man for some apartments and I would have done it. We had spares for the apartments so we could get in if there was work to be done when the tenant wasn’t home.

But most of the work went straight to me, my boss didn’t really tell me what jobs to work and which not. If you haven’t broken in already, maybe call the maintenance guy yourself if you have the number.

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Depends on the size of the building. Small landlords will tell you to fuck off, big landlords typically have a maintenance guy that will do it at an exorbitant fee from like 0800-2200.

• nohaybanda [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

When I lived in the uk mine charged 30 quid for the pleasure. Wouldn’t put it past them to just leave someone out cause they didn’t feel like getting off their ass

• jaschen@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Am landlord. I change the locks cylinders and specifically tell them this is their home now and I won’t have a spare. I do this because it’s a liability for me if they get robbed, they can’t blame me.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I’m pretty proud of my work for my community. I specifically help people like traveling nurses and displaced families. I only charge enough to cover my cost.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

My mortgage, taxes, repairs/upkeep, and subtracting my potential gains(which has been pretty stagnant). I’m about 20% below market price for yearly rent in my area. I don’t do long term. Just use it for mostly traveling nurses.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                10 months ago

I mean, when you go to the grocery store or to a restaurant or get service done on your vehicle, do you pay for that service? Was there cost that they paid for prior to servicing you? My home is no different. Does that help you understand this a bit more?

• booty [he/him]@hexbear.net
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  10 months ago

When I buy a meal at a restaurant, dumbfuck, the food I buy is mine. When the other people pay your mortgage, you disgusting leech mosntrosity, the house remains yours. You are a thief.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Because traveling nurses don’t intend to live here long term and it’s too expensive to live in hotels or Airbnb’s for 3-6 months.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

How so? Please explain. Maybe we can find some common ground. This is your opportunity to ask questions to someone you hate.

• Aryuproudomenowdaddy [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

“As soon as the land of any country has all become private property, the landlords, like all other men, love to reap where they never sowed, and demand a rent even for its natural produce.” - Adam Smith

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Whether you already know (and are feigning ignorance) or not, that’s just different kinds of aware and unaware parasitism. Rent-seeking as an economic activity is parasitism, full stop.

• nicklewound [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Nobody hates you. We hate landlords. Landlord-ism isn’t an inalienable trait. You weren’t born a lord or lady of the land. You can stop forcing people to pay your mortgage anytime you want.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You guys assume I make a profit for my home. I barely cover my cost(some months losing money) and only do this to help my community. There are needs for temporary housing that aren’t hotels and Airbnb’s.

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

You don’t cover the cost at all, your fucking tenant does who actually works and contributes to society in order to pay for your fucking lifestyle. Fuck you. Your relationship with society is literally parasitical, your goal is “passive income” by making other people work not just for themselves but for your life too.

Berlin is expropriating property from landlords in the city soon, 60% voted in favour of it at referendum. That’s how unpopular you fucks are. Hope you’re not too attached to your properties because this idea of expropriation will eventually mainstream and spread.

• invalidusernamelol [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

I kinda understand your mentality from a purely capitalist perspective, but you seem to forget that a mortgage is something that you’re supposed to pay. If you’re renting it should cover nothing more than damages.

If a renter is paying your mortgage, then they deserve a stake in your home.

So if you paid 200k for a home (or have a mortgage on 200k) then your renter should be given a 10% stake in the home for every $20k they spend. With that sakee also taking on the percentage interest that you’re paying on the mortgage. So if you are charging $2000/month and your mortgage is only $2000/month, then at any point, the renter should be able to become owner of the home (by a significant margin because even at a predatory rate, that monthly is well above the mortgage).

If you are renting well below the mortgage, then they deserve a stake still. For every percent of the mortgage they help you pay, they deserve a return. If you don’t give them their percentage, then you’re stealing.

If they’re paying your above the mortgage, then they have the right to kill you and take the home for themselves.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I don’t understand why you guys are flaming me. My house is used as a short term housing. I started doing it during covid for traveling nurses when nobody would rent to them. Then I still continued for people who were displaced. More recently I have someone from Maui and needed temporary housing while they were rebuilding their home.

I would have sold it but only do this for tax purposes. I’m well below the market only covering my mortgage and taxes.

Not all of us are assholes and leeches. There is clearly a need that hotels and Airbnb’s are leeching over. Some of us care about our community and are not trying to better ourselves.

• booty [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Not all of us are assholes and leeches

Yes, all of you are leeches. You take another person’s hard-earned money without doing anything to earn it. Owning something is not a job.

• WhatDoYouMeanPodcast [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

“I allow needy people to have food. I’m not like one of those greedy people who stand between good people and their needs. Just your humble, reasonable person who does the same.”

It’s so tiresome.

• jaschen@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Do you also expect grocery stores to give food out for free too? It cost the shop owner time and money to provide that service. Or do you feel entitled for all services and stuff others spent time acquiring?

• SootySootySoot [any]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

If they’re covering your mortgage, these people are buying you your house. Owning a house after a decade or two, even if you really did have nothing else earned in the meantime, is massive profit leeched from others.

• motherofmonsters [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

It’s greed. Here’s how these ghouls see it:

Case 1: they open it. Have to pay potential off work employee to do it or take employee’s valuable labor while on the clock

Case 2: renter has locksmith open it. Free. Or if they damage the door, charge the renter and make money!