SpaceX projected 20 million Starlink users by 2022—it ended up with 1 million::Starlink has a fraction of the projected $12B revenue and 20M users, WSJ says.

• scala@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Private infrastructure owned by that megalomaniac is not good.

• makingStuffForFun@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

If there was another option I’d take it. As it is though, I’m travelling around Australia and it’s freaking brilliant. Australia has zero coverage for most of the country outside of the towns and city regions. I can park up in total outback with no phone reception and get anywhere from 150 to 400 Mbps. I couldn’t do this without it, so I’ll take it, as it’s the only option

• falkerie71@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Although in the case of Starlink, one company is already putting enough space junk in LEO to affect astronomy research and photography. I can’t imagine if there were more than one competitor.

• ours@lemmy.film
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

The man is working very hard to rapidly destroy every single bit of hype and goodwill he has built up in the past.

I’m not even American or in America and I’m mad he derailed the chances of the USA having high-speed rail all for this half-assed hyper-loop project. Switzerland already considered a similar project (Swiss Metro) and despite lots of experience in making tunnels and railways, it was dismissed as unfeasible.

• Sanctus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Starlink is perfect for nationalization. Internet is. Infact, nationalize all utilities. Yes, internet should be a utility at this point. It should not be run for profit.

• WaxedWookie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

After Musk disabled Starlink to aid Russia, a hostile state in their efforts to invade a sovereign democracy, it should have been clear to everyone that Musk poses a very real security threat, and Starlink should have been seized and nationalised.

• Illuminostro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

This fiasco is a glaring example that no one indvidual shold be able to accrue enough wealth to affect entire countries.

• Jakeroxs@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Y’all all really think there isn’t something more going on there? Like people being like “Crimea is Ukraine!” Well yes I agree with the sentiment, even the US government doesn’t consider crimea to be Ukraine

Edit: After looking further I do see the US stance is that Crimea is Ukraine, however they have specifically not been providing weaponry with the intent of retaking Crimea (at least until recently where it seems they’ve taken a looser stance on it) similarly to how they weren’t providing weaponry to attack Russia, the whole idea was that we were helping them defend themselves “only”.

• Jakeroxs@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

Look at how we handle Taiwan for an idea of how wishy-washy the US government is in these situations.

Biden has said we support Taiwan and it’s independence, then directly after that our government walks it back to avoid escalating tensions with China.

Sorry I was definitely wrong about the US’s stance overall on Crimea, however we specifically were not providing armaments that could/would be used to attack Crimea

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/18/us/politics/ukraine-crimea-military.html

My initial statement was based on my incorrect memory of what was said after the initial faux-“referendum” that caused it to be annexed (forcefully taken) by Russia (which they tried to pretend was by the people living in crimea), as the US didn’t do much except slap a few sanctions on Russia.

I’ll edit my initial comment to better reflect the truth.

• mailerdaemon@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

As someone who lives in a country that formerly had a nationalized phone company in the internet age, and currently has a nationalized power company and airline. Dear God fuck no!

• CurlyMoustache@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

In my country, the main backbone is built, owned and operated by the government. The services on it are privatized

• demlet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I say we let him build up a huge satellite fleet and then force him to sell a huge chunk of it under antitrust law.

• sorghum@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

You mean the same government that allowed XM and Sirius to merge with no other satellite radio competition would go after Starlink when they have competition (Hughesnet)?

• SpaceBar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

My internet where I live is through cable and it’s terrible. Bad. Outtages all of the time. Down for days at times. So I switched to starlink. It’s fine. Works great EXCEPT WHEN IT RAINS HEAVILY.

Heavy rain blocks the signal. Elon Musk owns it.

Now, I have a t-mobile hotspot. It’s only $50 per month as opposed to the $110 for Starlink.

If you have no other decent option, Starlink is amazing. If you have other options, don’t give Musk your money.

• Donjuanme@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I was the perfect target for the service, the wife and I went as far as downloading the app to get telemetry from our house, we were like 20% covered and decided to hold off just a little while longer. Then musk went jacking it on the corner in San Diego levels crazy, we pay just about as much for our current Internet (and it’s mobile hotspot backup plan in case the internet goes out and we have vital work that needs to be done, or I need some low latency gaming time) which is 5 mb/s on its best days, and we’re very happy to not be supporting that Russian stooge.

• xts@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

“ I think that you will be able to fall asleep in a Tesla, is about two years away” Elon Musk, 2017

Yeah you shouldn’t believe anything this guy or his companies say lol

• SkaveRat
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I think that you will be able to fall asleep in a Tesla, is about two years away

I mean, you can do that. It’s just not a good idea if you’re the driver

• mriguy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You can do that now. But you’ll probably wake up dead. Same in two years.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

I’ve definitely seen articles proving this was an accurate comment. He didn’t specify what the outcome would be though.

• 8BitRoadTrip@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Anybody else read the post about Elon musk raw dogging his data center migration ?

• dhtseany@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah, I’ve worked in data centers a fair amount in my day and I can’t believe they allowed Musk to do any of that to begin with. Every data center experience I’ve ever had was met with a thousand rules that were meant to keep the customer safe and I cannot believe they were authorized to do this in any fashion.

It’s not about whether they owned the equipment or not, it’s about the fact that they violated policies and procedures that were put in place to safeguard other clients and the privacy of their data. Total bullshit if you ask me and I’d be suing the data center afterwards if I was one of their primary clients for the breach of trust.

• kungen@feddit.nu
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I interpreted it that NTT did nothing wrong (other than not physically stopping Musk)? A Twitter worker let him in, and he assuming didn’t have access to data from other NTT clients.

• Uniquitous@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

They’re about to lose another one. We finally got fiber run to our area, so now I have internet that doesn’t zone out every 5 - 10 minutes to find another satellite. Canceling Starlink next week. Fuck you Elon.

• KJ118@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I was hyped when I first learned about starlink, finally I wouldn’t be stuck with 1 Mbps from ATT, then my power co-op announced it would be running gig fiber to all customers homes.

• InvaderDJ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

One thing this article doesn’t get into is whether it is an issue of customer demand or incorrect estimates on how many customers Starlink can handle.

Musk is a dumbass, unserious douche. But from everyone I’ve heard from who has Starlink and NEEDS it, it’s a godsend. For rural and mobile users (van life, RVs, boats, etc) I don’t think there is a better option.

Another question is whether this Starlink service should be nationalized or at least duplicated by other countries. I’m uncomfortable with it being used for war as it is honestly. It’s a supposed civilian, consumer aimed service that I think arguably can be considered a military target right now. Countries like Russia could make an argument for attacking these satellites. And for countries like Ukraine that are relying on it, having it being at the whims of someone like Musk also seems like it isn’t optimal.

• SkyezOpen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Countries like Russia could make an argument for attacking these satellites.

Russia’s best shot would be accidentally crashing a lunar lander into one.

• PFShady@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

My parents have it because of where they live. The only other option they had was century link DSL at 1.5Mbps. Now she can watch streaming services, work from home, etc. The service has been great, Musk is a douche.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

It’s a supposed civilian, consumer aimed service

The internet was invented to wage war. It’s not an admirable goal, but it’s what it was made for. Only after the fact did we turn it into the banal meme stream it is now. When SpaceX requested permission to the FAA to launch its hundreds of thousands of garbage cans, military infrastructure backup was actually part of the pitch to justify the sky contamination. The Pentagon agreed to acquire Starlink for UA because it was part of the listed capabilities of the network. And military operations are not just about destroying things and killing people. Military operations include rescuing the wounded and safeguarding civilians from harm. Armies need to have good communications for this, to avoid destroying non-military targets, reduce the risk of collateral damage, coordinate evacuations and to defend themselves from the opposing force. A communication network should be a neutral channel, what Musk has done with it is to politicize and weaponize it, like the Russians weaponize medical care, judicial freedom and other things that should be basic human rights but are used to coerce individuals to commit atrocities against others.

• Rajtinka@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I had Starlink for over a year. They raised the price twice in that time. In addition, it would not play nice with my Uverse streaming service and I would randomly lose my sports and local channels. I live remote, but ended up switching to copper for $50/no and dumped the cable streaming. Since I don’t game, I have not noticed any difference in streaming quality on Netflix or Hulu or Prime. Paying way less than half for copper just made Starlink completely not worth it. The terminal is sitting on a chair in my office…

• exohuman@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

They haven’t done a great job of marketing it. $100-120 a month isn’t bad and it beats the pants off of all the other satellite internet services.

• netburnr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

It’s especially more cost effective than rural wireless ISPs. Those places are straight crooks.

• SpliceVW@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Have they needed to? My mom has no high speed internet to her house. She signed up for Starlink like 2 years ago. Still on the waitlist.

• CmdrShepard@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

My coworkers mom signed up for it about 1.5 years ago and got connected about a year ago in rural WA. Are you sure you’re still on the list?

• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

They dosh them out to more profitable areas first, or areas with more open slots.

• SpliceVW@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

Yeah, they were notified they’ll have the chance soon. I think it depends on your area. As I understand it, they were being very limited with accepting users as they continue to expand capacity.

• Buckshot@programming.dev
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Maybe that’s normal in US but it’s way overpriced in UK. They want £75/mo and I’m paying £35 for 500Mb in a rural area and there’s several different providers to choose from. My sister is even more remote than me and they’re getting fibre this week.

I could also get unlimited 4G for about £20.

I don’t know anyone who is using starlink

• exohuman@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I wish the USA had the options you just posted in rural areas. We pay for broadband expansion out of our taxes and they still won’t expand. It’s sad.

• tankplanker@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Its priced at people who wouldn’t get anything more than a few mb in remote areas who have no other choice, rather than a direct competitor against high speed fiber or someone lucky enough to live line of sight to a 5G mast.

I have fiber at home and starlink for my RV, for travel starlink works perfectly. I have a proper 4g router and external aerial for my van and it never comes close to the speed I get from starlink. I know people who cruise on boats and it works perfectly for them as well (as long as its kept dry).

Mobile high speed internet where you struggle to get even enough mobile phone signal to make a phone call it has no real competitor at that price point. Boats in particular its transformed the market, it used to be thousands per month for high speed internet at sea with any sort of decent data allowance.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

SpaceX’s Starlink division hasn’t come close to meeting customer and revenue projections that the company shared with investors before building the satellite network, according to a Wall Street Journal report published today.

SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell said in February that Starlink is expected to turn a profit this year.

"The majority of the world’s population that the business could serve and that can afford high-speed broadband lives in cities.

In those regions, Internet service is readily available, usually offers cheaper monthly costs than Starlink and doesn’t require specialized equipment."

But in public he has stated more modest ambitions for Starlink, pointing out that low-Earth orbit satellite ventures have a history of going bankrupt.

One step forward on profitability is that SpaceX says it is no longer selling Starlink user terminals at a loss.

The original article contains 654 words, the summary contains 135 words. Saved 79%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!