• thantik@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    nio månader sedan

One must understand that the operating system that you use does NOT come up in normal everyday conversation. Nobody cares. If you mention this you’re going to be looked at as the biggest dweeb in a 100 mile radius. Every pussy will dry up in the immediate vicinity. You will be forever shunned in social circles, and will likely never live it down.

So of course you mention Arch first!

• southsamurai@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      nio månader sedan

I would have thought so. But you’d be surprised how often it can crop up. Somebody wears an old hat or shirt with a logo, or someone complains about a change at work or whatever.

It won’t be often, but I’ve run into OS discussions maybe three times this year, and I’m fairly antisocial.

9/10 it’s going to be someone bitching about win 11, and someone else saying “hey, south uses Linux something-or-other, go ask him.” And then the conversation happens.

That other one time is usually tangential, where I’m talking about writing and the conversation moves to the programs used, which leads to questions about why I use libreoffice, and the fact that I use it on mint as part of explaining my setup.

Now, I don’t use arch, nor do I usually bring it up outside of a few friends that have abandoned windows. But I have run into a few arch users here and there.

• Thorned_Rose@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        nio månader sedan

Would also like to know. I use Arch everyday and have never noticed any dryness 🤷🏻‍♀️ I talk to my spouse about Arch (he also uses Arch BTW) and can’t say as I have experienced any changes at all. Almost as though my pussy has no fucks to give about what distro I use.

• thantik@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          nio månader sedan

lol, hope you weren’t actually mad over that part of the joke. It was just playing on the trope that it’s mostly men who are into this kind of thing :)

I replied to Snek with a woman’s-version of events (parent comment).

• thantik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        nio månader sedan

No, for women, every man in the immediate radius will start sending you unsolicited dick pics. So I’m not sure if anything will actually change there…

• demonsword@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          nio månader sedan

for women, every man in the immediate radius will start sending you unsolicited limp dick pics

• megane-kun@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            nio månader sedan

Being sent unsolicited limp dick pics sounds fun for the first handful of them. Not that I get sent any, nor do I want to.

• Alex@feddit.ro
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      nio månader sedan

Except when you mention you use NixOS to your crush who uses gentoo (true story)

• thantik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        nio månader sedan

You know, I’ve always wanted to go through the Linux-From-Scratch tutorial…

• luky@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      nio månader sedan

i don’t even have to mention it. I bought the pullover “i use [arch logo] btw” so people come up to me and insult me

• pianoplant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    nio månader sedan

I don’t volunteer either piece of information, but sooner or later someone is going to overhear me ordering vegan food or see me opening my lunch and the dreaded conversation will have to happen. I wish people would just let me make my own food choices in private without making a big thing about it.

• Holzkohlen@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      nio månader sedan

But they feel attacked. They want to continue living in blissful ignorance of how animals are treated or how bad it is for the environment. Same as windows users who don’t want to be reminded what corporate cucks they are. Some even go so far as to become utter bootlickers (see also Elon Musk fanboys)

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        nio månader sedan

I usually ask when someone eats any exotic cereals or processed (tofu, seitan) to 1 have something to talk about (I very much enjoy tofu and all uncommon cereals) 2 know their dietary restrictions to avoid offering them meat or taking care of that whenever there’s an outing. You know, small talk.

• lukas@lemmy.haigner.me
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        nio månader sedan

… or they’re curious. Schools these days educate people about animal treatment, but some people don’t really care that much, including myself.

• jennraeross@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          nio månader sedan

The only class I ever had bring it up was my optional college level philosophy class, and even then I’m pretty sure it was more from the professor than the school. I freaking love that man for it, he changed my life. If you want to learn how animals are treated here, most of the time you gotta do the research yourself. Regrettably, very few people care enough to do so…

• SkyeStarfall@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      nio månader sedan

What sucks is that you have to keep it for yourself, otherwise people will think negatively of you. Because for some reason caring about animals or the climate is cringe or something idk, like it’s something to almost be embarrassed about. Which is doubly strange when animal abuse is often considered very bad by those very same people.

But I guess for many caring about other people in general is cringe as well, as long as they are sufficiently emotionally distanced, so ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯ I just wish it wasn’t, and that caring for others was the baseline more than anything else.

• YaBoyMax@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      nio månader sedan

Yeah, the stereotype drives me nuts. Like, yes, food is a big part of day-to-day life and sometimes I need to explain when asked why I’m not eating if there’s nothing for me at, say, a company event. I try to avoid it as much as possible and just say I’m not hungry.

• palordrolap@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        nio månader sedan

Whatever the highest rank is.

Arch- usually indicates the highest form possible without utter transcendence into a different form, or at least a, well, overarching rank of some sort. (Semantically related, but not etymologically, apparently. At least not directly. But I digress.)

It is, after all, why the name of Arch Linux is what it is (so sayeth Wikipedia). The creator wanted it to be the best with no equal.

An arch-vegan might be one best at not only avoiding animal-based produce but also convincing people to convert to veganism, as well as making normally well-adjusted vegans feel that they’re not being a good enough vegan.

• Floey@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    nio månader sedan

What’s the arch user equivalent of getting asked if a fish is an animal?

What’s the vegan equivalent of getting asked if you use PC or Mac?

Vegan Arch user btw

• Matombo@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      nio månader sedan

Also people who use pc as a synonyme for windows. fuck those guys and guydedts.

PS. Macs are also PCs as PC describes the hardware and the usecase unrelated to the producer and the installed os.

• zagaberoo@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        nio månader sedan

There’s a bit more subtlety to it than that. The PC architecture that dominates today is a direct descendant of the 1981 IBM Personal Computer, which was made to run DOS and later Wondows. The cultural association makes sense in that context.

• probably@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        nio månader sedan

Language changes over time and words don’t mean the same thing forever. The entire purpose of language is to communicate. So if you have a Mac and say you are a PC user, you are failing to use language well. Apple themselves helped facilitate that change. It can be less consistent with Linux on a PC, I agree. But language is an evolving meme (as per the original definition of meme, not the cat photos). And to not acknowledge that is like being a young earth creationist with language.

Do you also argue that anyone who is happy is part of the LGBT community?

• Matombo@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          nio månader sedan

But PC has not made this transition universaly which makes it a very ambigues word. It is still used a category of electronic devices regardless auf operating system. Also if you say PC = Windows PC and MAC = MacOS PC what is the overarching Category? and ? = Linux PC?

• Matombo@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      nio månader sedan
      1. Do you think Manjaro is Arch/an Arch derivative?

2. But you still eat fish, right?

• igorlogius@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    nio månader sedan

I forsee the creation of another arch based distro that is specifically designed for vegans that will solve this problem

• flicker@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          nio månader sedan

This absolutely chaps my ass! I said I don’t want dairy! I love gluten goddammit! Why am I being lumped in with celiacs??

• monotremata@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            nio månader sedan

Gluten kicks ass. It’s easily the best fake meat base. I remember in college cooking a meal for my roommates and them saying afterwards “wait, aren’t you vegetarian? did you cook this just for us and not eat any?” and having to explain that no, that wasn’t beef, it was wheat gluten and mushrooms and miso. They were dubious, saying, “well, to me this is just really tender beef.”

So yeah. I’m also disappointed that gluten has gotten such a bad rap. I’m waiting for this knowledge to trickle back into the convenience foods sector so I can buy this stuff and not have to make it by hand every time, and it seems like I’ll be waiting a long time.

• jaybone@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          nio månader sedan

Not if you’re using LactOS.

EDIT meant to reply to the dairy guy’s comment doh

• bob@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      nio månader sedan

“I use argan. It allows me to user arch in a non-violent way to adhere to my vegan lifestyle” probably