Basically, title, here is a link to the Reddit thread for people curious: https://archive.ph/6mObB

I’m quite surprised with the neutral to positive reactions, which also show that some people will probably never leave Reddit.

• @dhork@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2038 months ago

It’s not about the money, though. If it was, they would have just said “third-party API access now requires Reddit Gold”, and a bunch of us would still have stayed there, giving them more money (and content) than they are making now.

Instead, it’s about fundamentally remaking the site to actively drive conversations toward things people pay to hype, and not have those conversations spring up organically. Steering traffic is much harder to do when it can be accessed through third parties.

They don’t want users creating content around what interests them. They want to charge users to interact with content that advertisers pay to host.

• @August27th@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      698 months ago

They don’t want users creating content around what interests them. They want to charge users to interact with content that advertisers pay to host.

Digg 3.0

• @BaronVonBort@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      428 months ago

I was a very heavy Apollo user. I was ALREADY paying monthly for it and if Reddit would have released a reasonable API charge structure and worked with devs, I’d have been happy to pay more for it because I used it every day.

They shot themselves in the foot trying to create a walled garden, now it’s just bots complementing each other in weirdly verbose comments back and forth.

• @banana_meccanica@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

so if there was an oxygen tax, would you be happy to pay for that? i think this is the problem, the reason why those who can keep the system for the balls (Pay me ten cents for this comment).

• @BaronVonBort@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          298 months ago

This is an odd take.

I don’t mind paying for services that I use that give me information and fun, especially one that I used daily (I pay $10/mo for streaming services I use maybe once or twice weekly).

I DO mind when they decide to gouge and disrespect the user base. IMO, THAT’S the issue in today’s market - profits above all else, including your customers.

Services aren’t free. Servers cost money. I get it. If I am a heavy user, I don’t mind paying a reasonable price for it (that reasonable price being close to the 2-5 a month I was already giving to the developer at the time.)

• @Sowhatever
            link
            118 months ago

Yeah, I was ready to pay 5 or 10 bucks a month, but the way they handled the situation is not acceptable. I just hope lemmy (or some other platform) gets enough of a critical mass that it becomes a viable alternative.

• @BlazeOP
      link
      208 months ago

Definitely.

• @Empricorn@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

That, and Reddit was being used to train AI. They saw that and decided they should shut off the API unless companies paid, and the hell with all the users harmed by the change.

• JackbyDev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      48 months ago

It’s funny that you say they’re driving conversations. Whenever I end up on Reddit because of a search I notice that only the top level comments and very rarely first responses to them are visible.

• Doubletwist
    link
    fedilink
    878 months ago

I’ve paid for Relay Pro multiple times over the years, and was happy to do so. And if this subscription had been implemented as just a way to support Relay, I’d have subscribed in a heartbeat, because it’s a fantastic app and worth every penny.

But due to all the Reddit API (and other) bullshit behind it, I just can’t do it. After many, many years of happy usage, I uninstalled Relay Pro yesterday when I got the update.

As far as I’m concerned, Reddit is now only a “read-only” archive that I’ll read if a search returns old information I need, and I’ll read just the post/comment I need from an ad-blocking browser then move on elsewhere (ie. lemmy) when I want to participate in conversations.

I know it’s highly unlikely, but if dbrady ever releases a Relay for Lemmy app, I’ll pay for it.

• @Octavian@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      138 months ago

I agree, I loved relay. Really sad to see it end this way. I hope he remakes it for lemmy.

• @sronweb@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      58 months ago

I agree, and of course the complain is for the Reddit API, not for Relay, which is a great app, and I if they will provide a Lemmy version of Relay I may use it too. What is non-sense in the Reddit API, is that Reddit should value users comments, the platform has value because of users interactions, posts, etc. so it totally a non-sense that user, should pay to participate on Reddit. I may just understand a free donation model, or even the personalized ads based on your interests.

• @Flaky@iusearchlinux.fyi
      link
      fedilink
      English
      17 months ago

I’ve gone as far as to block Reddit on search nowadays. It may have been of help a few years ago, but even before the API stuff it was increasingly being unhelpful.

The only things I miss are the Eurovision community (which there’s a Discord for anyway, and has a Last.fm bot which makes things interesting) and Polandball (who apparently have an official YouTube channel now)

• @SamsonSeinfelder@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    648 months ago

Same with Narwhal. They released some days ago their 2.0 App and already mentioned that in a couple of weeks the payment will start. The crazy part (besides the astronomical price) is that you pay for each API request. So every time you upvote, you make an API request and have to pay for it. YOU, the user, gonna pay for GIVING Reddit your engagement. That is crazy. Every Social Media plattform is trying too squeeze out as much engagement as possible from their userbase and now the user has to pay for it too. At this point, the best thing would be to deactive your your up/downvote buttons and comment buttons, to ease on the API requests. The the exact contrary of what the plattforms wants you for. I deleted the App after a decade of usage the same day. Reddit got everything from me. Engagement, Comments and my whole leaning on political and cultural topics based on my votes and comments to build a profile. Now they get nothing out of me. Fuck you Spez.

• Batman
    link
    fedilink
    558 months ago

Multiple years of Relay Pro and last night was upted with the monthly paid option which I am strongly not into. Uninstalled as soon as it showed up and downloaded Boost for Lemmy, so far so good. Few issues here and there but nothing major

• e_mc2
      link
      fedilink
      128 months ago

Yup same. Although I could do with the silver subscription at € 2,29 a month, I still skipped it and moved on to the one-time paid Boost for Lemmy. Feel sorry for dBrady though. He put a lot of effort into making the best Reddit app imo and now he’s forced to charge his users and hand over 90% to those greedy a-holes.

• @Omniraptor@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Check out lemmy sync as well! Excellent app. Also don’t tell anyone but if you use the “list” display mode (instead of cards as default) on the free version, it doesn’t show any ads.

• @Octavian@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      48 months ago

Nearly the same story here. I saw the ads in boost and decided to switch to liftoff. Maybe the paid version of boost is better. There’s no way I’ll pay for a monthly subscription.

• @BaardFigur@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      48 months ago

Boost for Reddit is still working for me btw. Maybe Reddit will stop the access eventually but it hasn’t happened yet. I’m of course using Boost for Lemmy here

• @Sowhatever
      link
      38 months ago

Same here. Had already tested lemmy on web, but an app is more convenient.

• @President_Pyrus@feddit.dk
      link
      fedilink
      118 months ago

As a conservative (by Danish standards, in the US I would probably be centrist and probably vote for the Democrats) I would say that capitalism doesn’t work well for every case in a society. In the olden days, people would meet in the town square and use the village posters.

Those local communities has largely been replaced by the internet today, and whereas the old communities was run by itself with its people taking ownership and responsibility for it with the incentive to make the community as good as possible, today the communities are largely owned by companies with a profit drive. In these new communities the incentive for the owner (the company) is not to create the best possible community, but to extract the most money from it.

I would say that pure capitalism would be to the detriment to a society. Capitalism is more a product of liberalism (where I am not using the definition of liberalism that most Americans would, but the “correct” definition) than it is a product of conservatism.

• @freebee@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

In the olden days, it would have been the church and the local nobles calling the shots on the local community forum, staging a witch-hunt or a public hanging event to keep the topics within desired boundaries and squeezing money, engagement and thus community power towards certain projects and not others.

I agree with the idea of your post commenting on today’s situation in capitalism, but disagree with the imo romanticised idea of how a community forum in the past would have functioned more independent and self-organising

• @banana_meccanica@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

I think there’s nothing liberal about this. I can decide not to attend a community anymore but the alternatives (as here) will always be shadowed by these capitals, advertising, bot factories, which make it difficult, if not impossible, to have a valid alternative, this is monopolization, that, forced by individuals, becomes fascism.

• @President_Pyrus@feddit.dk
          link
          fedilink
          28 months ago

What I am arguing is that capitalism and (classic) liberalism goes more hand in hand than capitalism and classic conservatism. Also, liberalism does not guarantee nor guarantee the lack of monopolies. Monopolies are the result of economics and the industry’s fixed and variable costs.

That being said, I do agree that monopolism is generally bad for society, as it reduces economic welfare (look it up) by generally reducing consumer surplus while increasing monopolist profit by a lower amount, thus creating a dead weight gap.

As a last point, somewhat unrelated, I think that it is an insult to the victims of fascism to call anything you don’t like fascism. I know you are not alone with the comparison, but I wish people would stop sorting people as either people they like or fascists. I think that people sometimes forget that the world isn’t inhabited entirely by saints and fascists.

I hope you have a great Sunday evening though :)

• @folkrav@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            08 months ago

IMHO, what most people call “conservatism” today is an amalgamation of neoliberal economics and conservative values.

• @Fullest@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    328 months ago

Former Relay user here.

Willing to bet the comments in that thread are positive because survivorship bias, at least in part. Folks like me who deleted the app probably wouldn’t have commented, after all. I’m also sure I wasn’t the only one to see the subscription prompt come up and just delete the app.

knew it was coming and decided ahead of time that when I was forced to pay, I’d just delete the app.

• @Funny@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          38 months ago

I don’t keep any app that I’m not using on the phone. Uses up resources for no reason. If nothing else play store constantly updates the app with each new version. It could be updating apps that I am using instead.

• @BlazeOP
      link
      48 months ago

Makes sense!

• @garbagebagel@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      48 months ago

I did the exact same thing, but I gotta say even in the months leading up to the subscription the quality and traffic in my subs had diminished to almost nothing, there were so many subs that were already gone or inaccessible from mobile. There was a time when I think I would’ve been ok with paying $2-3/month for the previous content but never in the current state.

• @Fullest@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

I totally agree. I wasn’t decided on quitting Reddit just because of the 3rd party apps fiasco, but the overall quality of the content took a nosedive which only further reinforced my decision to uninstall Relay once the subs finally came.

At a cost of free it was still like of worth checking out but not if I have to pay.

• @TwanHE@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      48 months ago

Only reason I still have a patched app is to be able to open the answer to questions on Google where Reddit is the only sensible answer

• @Occamsrazer@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    288 months ago

I vowed to be done with it when it became subscription based, and now here I am. Kind of glad actually, been looking for an excuse for years as the site became more and more stale, unoriginal, and politics began to overwhelm everything. Maybe this is just how it has to be every decade or so.

• @manuallybreathing@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    7 months ago

I got shouted down pretty intensely when relay announced they’d be doing this, and I mentioned it’d been a good run but I was jumping ship, especially vitriolic against the mention of lemmy lol

i’d used relay for a decade, was a bit sad

• NerfHerder
      link
      fedilink
      158 months ago

Same. Bought pro the day it released. Was a great interface but once Reddit announced they were digging out, I settled into Lemmy.

• @Airazz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    248 months ago

I signed up here a while ago but continued using reddit because Relay still worked. Now it’s asking for money and there’s no chance in hell I’ll give even a cent to spez.

• @thoro@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Yep. I kept using Reddit with relay but now I’m going to use it so much less. The official app is garbage and I will never pay a monthly subscription to use Reddit

• @UntouchedWagons@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    8 months ago

Based on my usage I’d have to get one of the higher tier of plans. I’m not entirely against paying in theory, but when reddit actively protected subreddits that spread hate speech and misinformation? No I’m not paying.

• @andysteakfries@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      128 months ago

Sync for Reddit stopped working as soon as the API changeover happened on July 1.

The developer rewrote the app for Lemmy, though, and it’s pretty damn good.

• @Octavian@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Subreddits spreading hate and misinformation? I thought they removed the_donald. Were there others they weren’t getting removed? *Just remembered r/sino was pretty extreme.

• @Gerbler@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        48 months ago

It took them like 4 years and an attempt at ending US democracy for them to step in with the_Donald

• @UntouchedWagons@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        28 months ago

Oh there’s definitely more hate subs. I forget which subreddit it was but someone used the k slur for jews and a user on AgainstHateSubreddits posted about how they reported the post to the admins and one of the admins replied that there was nothing wrong with the comment.

• @Traegs@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    178 months ago

I’ve used Relay for years, first tried it when it was still called Reddit News.

I’ll admit that I’ve been browsing Reddit a bit with the official app and it’s a garbage experience. Like, there’s no /r/all? Wtf.

Anyway, it’s just pushing me more onto Lemmy. It’s slowly turning into a viable alternative as engagement grows.

• @m0nky@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      38 months ago

Fellow reddit news user here. It’s pretty sad, I wonder how many hours I’ve spent on that app. All things come to an end, I suppose.

• @tiita@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    8 months ago

yep. I also came from reddit and I’ve been using relay since the beginning.

I have so much time for relay for reddit. it’s a great application and I have plenty of time for the developer too

he’s the only one who didn’t abandon the ship when the spez made those idiotic changes and came up with a workaround.

But yes, it costs money.

My take is if you still like to use reddit on mobile, that’s the way to go.

Having said that, there’s another app called redreader which is still free and very decent, but stuck in the stone age compared to relay.

The 4.99 cost is one of the options the devs provides too. there are more.

it’s either that or ads with crap functionality, especially on mobile.

I hope the developer will also develop something for lemmy at some point. he’s awesome, for what I can tell.

• arefx
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Hey man I’ve met crack heads who are more reasonably sound than redditors