It’s a bedbug’s world now. We’re just sleeping in it.

• mo_ztt ✅@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

I was driving through Maryland, it was getting late, and I saw a hotel that was $45 per night. I literally thought to myself, “WTF, I just need a bed, how much could really go wrong if I stay here.”

The room opened straight to the parking lot, and there were cats everywhere outside crying. I said hello to one of them, he was clearly in bad shape and so I went and got some cat food and invited him in and gave him some food. He bit me so I put him back outside and went to sleep.

I was most of the way on the drive home when I noticed I had red welts in a little line down my arm. You fucker, you have to be kidding me.

I basically stripped in the parking lot of my place, went in and took a long shower first thing, and put into the garbage all the clothes I’d had with me, suitcase, shoes, my backpack after taking the computer and notebook out. I put them all in a trash bag in the parking lot and then threw it in a dumpster that wasn’t near any residence. Then I vacuumed my car and took a long shower again.

Fuckin bedbugs. I had no bedbugs carried back to my place after that and that’s how I like it. $45 for the hotel cost me maybe $300 worth of stuff that I decided to get rid of.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Your story includes many strange details and poor choices.

• Nudding@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

so I went and got some cat food and invited him in and gave him some food. He bit me so I put him back outside and went to sleep.

I love cats but this is just ridiculous lmao. What a well meaning person.

• mo_ztt ✅@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

Little buddy was suffering. Nobody wants to see that and I had nothing else going on that night anyway. On the other hand, if it turns out he’s an asshole, then I feel comfortable saying he’s not my problem.

• Bizarroland@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Just as a quick note. Cats can have rabies. You might want to go and tell your doctor that you’ve received a cat bite from an unknown cat and get a rabies shot because once you start showing symptoms you’re already dead.

• dalekcaan@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

If a cat bite breaks the skin you should see a doctor regardless. Cat bites are no joke, and can give you a serious infection.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                8 months ago

Indoor cat bit and scratches my mom’s leg because its tail got caught.

Cue a 4 month ordeal of constant wound care visits and packing infected, necrotic tissue…

Just go get antibiotics immediately. Especially if they’re remotely deep.

• mo_ztt ✅@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Hm, yeah, this is a good point. This was at least 10 years ago so I think I’m probably safe but I agree with the principle in general.

• sixCats@lemmy.dbzer0.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Just because the person talking about rabies wasn’t clear, it can live in your system for years without symptoms

Again, as soon as you have symptoms you’re already dead

• Nudding@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            8 months ago

Oh no I totally get it, I would love to save a random street cat, but like, in some random hotel room? You’re the reason hotels have fleas and bed bugs lol. You’re very well meaning, but clearly lacking in common sense.

• mo_ztt ✅@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              8 months ago

Wat

There are a lot of people who’ve interacted with cats they don’t know. Between the cat, animal control, the hotel, and the local health department, I like how you’ve chosen me as the one in this situation that clearly did something wrong lol.

• Nudding@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                8 months ago

Yeah dude, you took a stray wild animal into a hotel room. That’s well meaning idiocy. Sorry to break it to you like this lol.

• mo_ztt ✅@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  8 months ago

You and I have different definitions of “wild animal.” That’s okay, we can agree to disagree, I’m comfortable with my view.

• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

The one time I encountered bedbugs was also a cheap ass motel. Wtf was I thinking? Never again.

At least I don’t ever have to worry if there is an infestation. I’ll know. Some people apparently don’t get the red welts?

• lennybird@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Fucking bed bugs, indeed. I wouldn’t wish them on my worst enemy except maybe Putin.

They literally cost our entire Spring in tearing our house apart to address them. So much shit moved, tossed out, cleaned, then cleaned again… No idea where they even came from.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

My wife works in a public library and they regularly have a bedbug-sniffing dog come in. She tells me it’s very cute.

• sir_pronoun@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Prepare your flats and take that shit seriously when traveling. Just look under ever mattress you sleep on. And tell your friends and family to do that. For real, we need to get a hold on that.

• Number1SummerJam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

At the very least, treat your bed frame and headboard. Remove any skirts around your bed so the only place the bedbugs can access your bed is the treated surfaces. When you do get them it will slow them down significantly. My best advice to prevent them is to avoid using public coat racks at places like work. Edit: also if you thrift clothes or go to yard sales, keep that stuff in a plastic bag that’s tied shut until you can clean it/inspect it

• derf82@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Check any hotel you stay in. Look under the mattress and in crevasses and seams. And don’t put your suitcase on the bed. Use the luggage stand or a desk.

And even if you check carefully, put your clothes straight from the suitcase and into the dryer and run for 60 minutes on high. The heat will kill bedbugs. If you can, also heat the suitcase or keep it sealed in plastic.

Also, protect your stuff. Put your mattress in a zippered encasement.

• Incandemon@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Check the straps of those portable luggage stands first those. They are a favorite location of bed bugs since the don’t often get treated. Unroll the straps a little bit to check underneath them next to the tubes.

• ADTJ@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Why would you put things straight into the dryer without washing them first? Wouldn’t washing the clothes also help kill bugs?

• derf82@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

You need 122F+ for several minutes to kill bed bugs. So maybe with hot water. But just washing may not do it if the water isn’t hot enough.

• Dr. Moose@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 months ago

What if bedbugs evolve resistance and take over the world eventually. Bet no one had that on their Great Filter bingo card.

• holycrapwtfatheism@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

I don’t know if they can adapt to resist diatomaceous earth in any way? It’s one of the more common treatments and it just slices them up.

• pitninja@lemmy.pit.ninja
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The article actually addressed this and apparently they are even developing some resistance to diatomaceous earth. The only sure fire treatments described are extreme heat or cold. It’s a pretty horrifying situation we’ve made for ourselves.

• Piecemakers@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Cedar oil. Fry them before your very eyes.

Also, the fumigation packets for livestock stalls, but you need to duck tape your contractor bags of clothes, etc. closed and leave them outside for 6-10 days.

• blackbirdbiryani@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I once had a pretty bad bed bug infestation and tested DE by putting a bedbug in a cup of it… It lived for weeks before I killed it by hand. DE only hinders their movement in my experience, you need stronger stuff to kill them.

• Piecemakers@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

Cedar oil literally melts them. After weeks of trying everything we could get our hands on ($$$ gone), I tried straight up cedar oil in a spray bottle and found immediate delight in watching those motherfuckers writhe in agony as they shriveled and died. The others tried helplessly to flee, but I was undaunted and hunted them down, one by one. None lived to tell the tale, and all were chemically dessicated and vacuumed up.

• TenderfootGungi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

They already have evolved resistance to the chemicals we use to kill them, hence the resurgence.

Edit: from todays Morningbrew:

It’s possible that France really is suffering from a bedbug epidemic. The critters have been making a comeback globally in recent decades after being nearly eradicated in the 1950s using pesticides. Bedbugs have since developed a resistance to these chemicals, and high levels of international travel also haven’t helped.

However, French exterminators are saying that the public might be overreacting.

The creator of the pest control website badbugs.fr told the BBC that 75% of bedbug inquiries his company receives are false alarms. Normandy-based pest controller Romain Morzaderc explained to the Ouest-France newspaper that in 99% of cases, other “nasty black insects” get mistaken for bedbugs.

• theodewere@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

i think it shows a healthy sense of humility to admit that even the bedbug could unravel this mess at this point

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

God, my brother once brought in a couch he found outside for his room about a year and a half ago. First time and only time I ever had to deal with bedbugs. Didn’t help that the people in charge of the apartment complex took forever to do literally anything about it. I hope I never have to deal with another infestation ever again and that we find ways to completely eradicate them. Even if it means destroying an ecosystem or food chain, I’d be happy to see them go the way of the dodo.

• Huschke@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Well, their food chain is us and honestly we’re doing a pretty good job of destroying it already.

• FrostKing@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

As someone who’s had bedbugs multiple times… Yes it’s very much worth throwing away your entire wardrobe if you have to. Do everything you can to prevent getting them.

• GeekFTW@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Yup. Had em 3-4x in this very apartment. First day we discovered them I was hauling my box spring the fuck outside and dumping it by the trash downstairs at 3am while my wife was panicking.

Thankfully been several years since I’ve seen em and I aim to keep it that way.

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

The first time it happened, I remember killing everything with fire. I even slept on a plastic covered mattress and did daily vacuuming for like two months. Even worse, the bug bites caused my cat to be extra irritated, forcing him to clean himself nonstop from all the bites and having us lock him out of the bedroom else he go through another “obsessive bite cycle”.

It was near impossible since the neighbors didn’t care and solved it by moving.

I don’t recommend it at all.

• dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m sure there are multiple reasons, but I think the biggest cause is how much international travel people are doing now. It’s kind of nuts how many more people travel for fun these days than even 10 years ago. Any place that is even slightly known in the tourism circles has about a billion people showing up every day, so the bed bugs are just being shipped around more efficiently these days.

Yes, I’m one of those people who are traveling internationally much more often than I did 10 years ago, so I’m not disparaging them or judging them. It’s just a fact of the world we live in now that more people have the money to go to more places now.