I just had a thought like “What if some UFO aduction experiences people claim to have are actually people being kidnapped by the CIA” thinking-about-it

The kind of stories I’m thinking about often go like: “I was driving on an empty road in the middle of nowhere. I saw a bright light,” and then either “I remember nothing but had lost time” or “I remember being experimented on by aliens and then put back in my car.”

My tinfoil hat side is thinking like, these stories started happening around the time the US admitted to experimenting with abuse, torture and psychoactive drugs in Project MK-Ultra. Alien abduction stories were the most prevalent during this time. (CW: Just a heads up. If you want to read the rest of this post or anything else about MK-Ultra, be warned that it’s pretty horrible, and involves some of the most disgusting torture I have ever read about. Death to America.)

Of the surviving documents released to the public about MK-Ultra, the CIA admits to: “kidnapping people it deemed “expendable” to undertake various types of torture and human experimentation on them. The prisoners were interrogated while being administered psychoactive drugs, electroshocked and subjected to extremes of temperature, sensory isolation and the like to develop a better understanding of how to destroy and to control human minds.”

Part of me wonders how many of these alien abduction stories are just people being kidnapped, drugged with powerful hallucinogens, experimented on and then released with the suggestion conditioned into their mind that it was aliens.

The most famous alien abduction story is that of Barney and Betty Hill, an interracial couple that were both civil rights leaders, definitely people that the CIA would want to fuck with, especially during rising tensions with the Soviet Union, the US government was suspicious of minorities and anyone interested in their rights.

• Aliveelectricwire [it/its]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Transdimensional bigfoot /s

No but really I think there has to be something going on with Antarctica. Look at operation highjump and how the guy who led it was given the medal of honor and told to never talk about it.

• Ho_Chi_Chungus [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

the CIA backs and boosts absolute nonsense conspiracy theories like flat earth, tin foil hats, and Obama being a lizard to discredit the notion of conspiracy theory entirely

• novibe@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

There IS evidence of that lol. All the domestic counter-intelligence and psyop point to exactly that. And they literally have memos saying they planned on turning the term “conspiracy theory” to mean “crazy nonsense”. Like actual documents saying: we’re doing this!

• mayo_cider [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

CIA literally created the UFO conspiracy and drove people to mental breakdowns making them chase lights in the desert for decades to give cover for weapons testing

• novibe@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

I mean I wouldn’t say that…. They certainly helped push the most crazy and less credible people and stories. Also discrediting the more credible ones. But I have seen shit that cant be easily explained, and I’ve read and heard many more stories as well.

I think it’s part of their tactic. Just like the “evil pedo satanists” conspiracy, where actual regular evil pedos actually do run the world. Not for their pedophilia, or because of it, it’s still capitalism in the end. But like, push a crazy conspiracy to hide a real one y’know?

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

I meant that they created the concept of UFO conspiracy, the people researching UFOs were already there but CIA took advantage of them to discredit any sighting as ramblings of crazy conspiracy theorists

Going as far as keeping active contact and feeding “leaked information” with prominent UFO researchers, sending literal men in black to their doors, and orchestrating UFO contacts

Tbh most of this is shit I’ve picked up over the years from blog posts and youtube videos, but I’m like 75% certain this had actual sources, I’m just too high to verify anything

• novibe@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

Ah we 100% agree then hahaahah

And yes, even the stuff picked up from getting high and falling into rabbit holes. Tbh, after sometime it gets kinda easy to spot bullshit and psyops.

I’m sure the truth about the phenomenon is not at all what the mainstream and even the “main” conspiracies portray it to be.

What I always go back to is the foo fighters and similar phenomena, crop circles and the nuke orbs. Those are the hardest to explain away imo, and I feel they mean something more than other shit.

But my personal experience also makes me think back to the ancient texts, the Vedas, ancient Egyptian and Sumerian texts etc. And idk, maybe the phenomenon is “angels and demons”. Or how I see it, weird non-physical or material stuff, in “higher” dimensions or consciousnesses. And not “aliens” with starships from other worlds.

• BelieveRevolt [he/him]@hexbear.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                7 months ago

The thing that gets me is how many US UFO sightings were made in the 1950s, at the height of the Cold War. There has to be at least some “what if the Soviets have superweapons” type of thinking there.

• novibe@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

I think it has more to do with nukes tbh. The concentration of sightings around areas related to nukes is much greater (research facilities, test sites, where the nukes themselves are stored etc.).

• novibe@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

You can search for “Robert Salas UFO” to start the rabbit hole, but basically there are a lot of military personnel that worked near nuclear facilities or even transported nukes that say orbs appeared and disassembled or deactivated them. Sometimes even doing this to missiles mid-flight during testing.

There was video of this, I remember seeing it years ago. I tried looking for it, but just found dead links to deleted YouTube videos…

• novibe@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I mean, I can tell you but you have to promise not to look at me like I’m crazy lol

Back in late 2020 I was living on the last floor of an old building with my girlfriend. We were getting ready to go to bed, which means my last cigarette of the day. So I went outside to a little area we had, like a miniscule terrace.

I was smoking and looking over to the dark horizon, to a bridge near our home. The clouds that day were REALLY weird. They completely blanketed the sky and were really low and dense. But the night was not that dark, almost with a brownish light.

Anyways, after a bit, I saw over the distance after the bridge a thing. It was far, but at first it looked like a bunch of black balloons floating. And the “balloons” got nearer and nearer.

I’m terrible at measuring distances, but when it was maybe 100-150m away (I won’t convert to American measures soz), it started to shift in a weeeird way. The small roundish forms that were circling each other (like balloons) started to gather into a single shape. When this happened I ran and screamed for my girlfriend.

I quickly went back to observe the “thing” and I saw the singular black blob continue to move closer. I could now see it wasn’t a shiny black sphere as I thought, it really looked more like a hole in the clouds. Like an endless black hole. It wobbled and shifted a bit, never a perfect sphere.

Soon after my girlfriend arrived (both of us silent, mouths opened just freaking out), the blob “spit” out a smaller sphere. The smaller sphere started to perfectly orbit the bigger blob. And both continued to move closer.

Eventually the two blobs were right above us, maybe 50m above. And THIS is where it starts to get really weird.

The bigger blob shifted shapes again. And it looked like a human. Head, arms and legs. Then the smaller blob became a smaller human shaped thing. To highlight, my girlfriend is much shorter than me. In any case, after they shifted into human shaped holes, they started to dance. They held hands and danced around in a circle. Honestly seemingly very happy.

The only thing on my mind at this moment was “this is the coolest thing I’ve ever seen”. I really think I was smiling.

After maybe a minute, the shapes stopped dancing. The bigger one seemed to look directly at us. And then it waved. I waved back. I felt this was maybe the most momentous moment of my life. But I looked back, at my girlfriend, and she was crying in shock. That brought me down real quick and I was worried for her. I tried to calm her down. Then I looked back at the shapes.

They looked defeated, arms and shoulders down. They slowly became spheres again, and the smaller one went “in” the bigger one. The now one sphere seemed to go up and up, slowly. But it really only looked like a small hole getting smaller. I kept looking at it for maybe 20 minutes as it disappeared completely.

I asked my girlfriend why she was so afraid at that moment, and she said she felt they were going to take me away. I think I kinda felt that as well… but they didn’t want to make her sad I guess.

Idk man, I really searched and researched for months after that. I still have absolutely no fucking clue what it was. I don’t think “aliens” in any way other than “non-human conscious intelligences”.

• Walk_On [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

The reason movie theaters switched from reel projection to digital projection was to undermine the projectors’ union since digital projection can just be automated.

Popular media whether it’s music or film or whatever is decided by studios and labels as opposed to organic popularity. (Obviously not all cases are true, but I feel there’s a lot of cases where it is true.)

• GriffithDidNothingWrong [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

Did anybody ever read the later, weirder Dune books where they reveal that the bene tleilaxu’s axolotl tanks are just what remains of their female members? That’s what’s in that bunker on Epstein island. They honeypot young white girls and then drug them and strap them to tables where they use IVF techniques and fertility drugs to force them to continually produce rich losers like Noam Chomsky and Bill Gates’ quintuplets. Then they move the children to incubators as soon as they’re viable and raise them in secret bunkers so that after the apocalypse these ‘superior’ specimens can emerge to rule what’s left of humanity.

This is the secret they killed Epstein to protect.

• birdcat@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

what is a harmful conspiracy? I hear the terms dangerous and harmful often when it comes to conspiracy theories. and I’m pretty sure they don’t mean ‘the jews are poisoning our wells’ so in don’t understand what they mean or what the exact harm of those conspiracy theories is.

• wtypstanaccount04 [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

Those conspiracy theories come from the abysmal track record of the U.S. medical system. From over-prescribing opiates for kickbacks to the Tuskegee Experiments, the U.S. medical industry has been responsible for countless horrors over the years. People remember when their relatives, family members, or close friends died of opiate overdoses, and that mistrust extends itself to the rest of the industry. The only reason why I chose to get the vaccine was because the companies were hoarding them from the third world, which was a sure sign that it was effective enough to warrant even more racism in medical care, meaning that these evil companies apparently had something to offer.

Add on to this countless crackpot theories allowed to propagate throughout the country, like “vaccines cause autism” and “china steals organs”, and you get a recipe for a population that has zero trust in companies like Pfizer and J&J.

• Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

because the companies were hoarding them from the third world, which was a sure sign that it was effective enough to warrant even more racism in medical care, meaning that these evil companies apparently had something to offer

Fuck that’s a strong argument

countless crackpot theories allowed to propagate throughout the country, like “vaccines cause autism” and “china steals organs”

There is actually some evidence of Uygers in China being used as organ donors as a part of the larger ongoing ethnic cleansing they’ve been engaging in.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I hadn’t looked deeply into it at the time, but I just remember reliable news sources reporting that it was happening. Here’s the Wikipedia article on the topic, maybe read through the references and Google a little. Definitely passes the sniff test for “actually happening” for me

• wtypstanaccount04 [he/him]@hexbear.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                7 months ago

The organ harvesting conspiracy theory is not true. Falun Gong is a Chinese cult that is racist and anti-science. JJ McCullough, a center-right youtuber I disagree with quite often, has made a good video about the Falun Gong and their claims of organ harvesting. The critical point is right here. Also, Wikipedia is not a good source in general for political knowledge, as politics are very contentious and it’s hard to find the truth there. It’s a good place to start, but you should look in the references part of the article for primary sources and check those instead. You can then evaluate the reliability of those sources. If the source is InfoWars, then it’s probably not a great source. The same goes for a site like Radio Free Asia, which is a U.S. propaganda site directly funded by the U.S. government.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  7 months ago

Bruh that’s literally an Internet reply hastily written at midnight when I should’ve gone to bed 2 hours earlier abour a subject I only know of from reading the news 3 years ago, not a research paper. I did a quick Google (and saw plenty of reliable news sources and a meeting announcement by the United States House on the subject), incorrectly merged two likely separate genocides in my tired brain and tapped out a hasty reply as a friendly “uh check your sources on that one” i also selected Wikipedia as the article to link after glancing at its sources and specifically instructed to “read through the references and Google a little.”

Human Rights Watch, Reuters, CNN and The Washington Post all reported very clear evidence of this involuntary organ harvesting from political prisoners. They clearly state their evidence (none rely on vague “sources”) and none of the articles contain retraction notices nor significant corrections. As a dude who fixes computers for work and may never leave the North American continent that more is good enough for me to trust as I adapt my world view to new information.

And most importantly if you do the same level of research I just did for the other conspiracy the first-level poster mentioned (the well-debunked claim of “vaccines causing autism”) you will come away far sooner with the correct conclusion that not only are vaccines overwhelmingly safe and effective, but there is no correlation, no method and no evidence for vaccines causing autism. My original point that I wanted to make was that the poster grouped a heavily debunked conspiracy theory with a plausible claim that has good evidence supporting it as if both are equally clearly false.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I’m convinced the myth of getting ”enough” protein is perpetuated by the meat industry as well as the food industry in general. You still hear the ”I must eat muh meat to get muh protein” line constantly and the shelves of your local grocery store are probably packed with different ”protein” snacks, even though it’s not that hard to get enough protein from plant-based sources and you probably don’t need to supplement protein unless you work out like Dwayne Johnson.

• aaaaaaadjsf [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

I mean if you’re trying to gain weight and muscle simultaneously in a healthy manner (so without resulting to “dirty bulking” and still doing cardio) you’re going to need to eat a lot of food, including a ton of protein. Not as much as some crazed bodybuilder throwing meat and eggs in a food processor or the 1g per pound of bodyweight myth, but around 1.8g of protein per Kg of total lean mass that you currently have on the high end, and then adjust once you’ve gained weight. Some people will eat more protein just to get a calorie surplus in, because they’re tired of eating so much carbs and fat. If you’ve been there, you’ll know the feeling.

The thing is, the vast majority of people are not taking part in some conscious effort to gain muscle and/or weight, so they don’t need anywhere near that amount of protein.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I meant just for regular people who maybe work out once or twice times a week and aren’t trying to bulk up. I doubt serious bodybuilders are eating protein candy bars from the grocery store anyway.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          7 months ago

This theory falls apart at the protein candy bars, most of the protein supplements are plant based, it’s exponentially cheaper

Most people won’t be able or willing to eat the amounts of chicken or tuna to get the protein macros needed for reasonably fast gains, so they’ll just get a bag of whey protein and protein bars to get there

• macerated_baby_presidents [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        7 months ago

i read /u/mechwarrior2’s link, if true it is quite interesting that they were communists who had a bunch of air force friends and lived real close to a nuclear base. However Betty also seems like a very unreliable narrator.

e: and contrary to the substack author’s opinions, Martin Cannon seems like a rather excitable fellow, and I’m not sure I trust the “Martin Cannon listened to a tape and said it said she was a communist” or really anything that comes from him. I read his paper called The Controllers (later developed into a book from which the substack author took this tidbit), but Cannon seems to be writing further than the facts allow. 1. He gives a lot of credence to some guy who says he’s a deadly Navy SEAL with the usual accompanying deadly weapon hands 2. At great length he entertains the possibility of US government implanting electrodes in peoples’ brains, remotely activated in order to affect their behavior. Okay sure, we’ve got pacemakers, there’s some prior published research with brain stimulation on humans, and that would definitely be useful militarily. That’s a viable MKULTRA experiment area, they’d try it. But he goes on to say

[Robert] Naeslund, a Swedish citizen, tells a similar story. Moreover, his claims were backed by special evidence: X-rays revealed an implant in his brain. Naeslund actually went to the extreme of having his implant tested by electronic technicians employed by Hewlett-Packard. A Greek surgeon performed the necessary trepanation to remove the device.

You’re telling me that this guy had a mysterious implant removed from his head by a surgeon and the most I can find is a photo of a dark blob on an X-ray? You’re telling me that brain implants are common in “abductees” and there’s no evidence of these physical artifacts? Especially because the usual paranormal explanation for these experiences is alien abduction, an “alien” artifact would be a big fucking deal and they’d publicize it. Props to him for putting forth a theory that can be supported or killed by evidence, I guess.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I strongly believe that a lot of the internet is dead and that it’s just chugging along with a digital Potemkin village of activity and relevance, with no further input from living people needed or even wanted.

Much like how “oops, the stonks-down did a fucky wucky today so livelihoods must end” tea leaf reading is just taken for granted as meaning something, way too many people just trust “googling it” or whatever a Wikipedia entry says and go with whatever is then put in front of them.

• duderium [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Since returning to reddit a few months ago after a hiatus of a few years I’ve definitely started to wonder. So much of that site is so circle-jerky, they just talk about the same shit over and over again. Is it because they’re just redditors, they’re bots, or is it a little of both?

• anarchoilluminati [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

I never thought about it that way but that actually seems plausible to me.

No, I’m not in on it, but I think the idea of some secret society running things is somewhat possible. I know this type of conspiracy theory is ultimately a reaction to global capitalism. But it’s not an impossibility that these elite, capitalists have some society they join and keep secret. I think about it being similar to how at one point the monarchies that spread throughout Europe were actually all related so, despite wars and differences, they are still family. A secret society of capitalists doesn’t negate the truths of capitalism, so anti-capitalist critiques are still valid, but maybe they do hang out at some spot together, talk shop, party, get wasted, and fuck each other. In a way it’s harmless because the secret society itself is not the issue, their brutal capitalist form of life is the real harm, and it’s very possible that they have some group to support shared interests even if it’s filled with people who otherwise hate each other. It’s likely not the case and I don’t truly believe it but I think it’s possible.

Also, there are totally massive sea monsters from legends in the ocean we haven’t found yet. That’s not a conspiracy theory, just straight facts.

• huf [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

i mean, dont they gather in davos to openly do this sort of thing? and the thousands of exclusive resorts all around the world, and and and

• anarchoilluminati [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Yes, this is very true and I realize it realistically serves the same purpose, but I meant they literally could have a secret club they belong to and don’t speak about. The reason why I doubt it exists is because those idiots would probably blab about it immediately. Security culture is unnecessary when you are in power.