• LanternEverywhere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

This isn’t the gotcha that you think it is. Inflation is kept at a positive number on purpose. Deflation causes a self-reinforcing spiral that brings everyone’s wealth down. If inflation is too high that’s a problem too, but it’s less of a problem than deflation.

… With that said, the huge amount that prices have gone up recently is caused by corporate profiteering, which is a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

• shalafi@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

A sane economic take on lemmy?! Blasphemy.

I’ll add this; Stop buying shit. I’m not talking rent and food. I’m talking “consumer confidence” stuff. If you don’t need it to live, stop.

Example; Ammo got wildly overpriced. So we stopped buying. Like magic, prices tanked! Ain’t that crazy?

Of course that’s stupid oversimplified, but the basic idea is sound.

Locally, people were bitching about Taco Bell’s quality. OK. Stop buying Taco Bell. They’ll either crash (that store) or correct. Win-win.

I would love a legislative way to stop corporations from wildly profiteering off our asses, but I don’t know what that looks like.

• Serinus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

The corporations are absolutely aware that people have stopped being price conscious.

I understand everyone who can afford a $6 case of coca cola can also afford a $12 case. At some point you have to just choose not to buy it, or the price will just keep rising.

• MotoAsh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I mean, you are the one making the logical fallacy of assuming they are defending the exact opposite… They’re basically just saying, “inflation bad”, and you come in and say, “deflation bad, too!”.

OK? They weren’t defending deflation? You even admit inflation has been out of hand lately…

• C126@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Why does deflation bring your wealth down? If I saved miney in a deflationary period my purchasing power would go up. Deflation means the amount of goods you can buy with the same currency increases over time, inflation means the amount of goods you can buy over time goes down. So actually deflation makes your wealth go up it seems to me.

• prime_number_314159@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

If you already have money, deflation is good for your net financial position, sure. If you work for your money, deflation could mean your boss has to either cut your wages, or fire you. Even if that money can buy more, people are very unwilling to take a pay cut.

That means if there’s a sudden (but small) drop in productivity in an industry, inflation can paper over it, and deflation amplifies it, and potentially means the industry collapses.

• 100_percent_a_bot@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

One additional factor is that there is only a slight delay for prices to catch up with inflation but a major delay for wages to rebound. In a roundabout way inflation allows companies to cut wages without it feeling as shitty to the workers. This is why the central banks throw on the money printer when they fear an incoming recession.

This might seem unfair to the workers but is usually the preferred solution over tons of people losing their jobs.

• LanternEverywhere@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

It’s good for you in the very short term, but bad quickly after that. It makes everyone want to hold onto their cash because your cash becomes more and more valuable the longer you hold on to it. So people start buying way less, and businesses bring in less and less money, so they lower prices more to try to entice you to buy, but the dropping prices only make you want to wait to buy even longer, this keeps spiraling downward and businesses keep bringing in less and less money, and so very soon they have to start firing people, and then more and more companies wind up out of business, causing more and more unemployment, and on and on and on, for everyone involved it all goes very bad.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/investing/what-is-deflation/

• Perfide@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

It makes everyone want to hold onto their cash because your cash becomes more and more valuable the longer you hold on to it. So people start buying way less

This is the part people always lose me when explaining deflation is bad. Why would I suddenly be holding on to cash just because it’s “worth more”? Why would I be buying way LESS than I do now? I would still have bills to pay, I’d still have groceries I need to buy, and since all of that would be cheaper I might even have enough left after to actually buy things I want rather than need. Maybe I could actually afford to eat out every now and then, unlike now. Maybe I could actually afford to support the game developers I like instead of pirating everything. The average person doesn’t have the luxury of hoarding money, if we were in a deflationary period they’d be spending just as much money as before, they’d just get more in return for it. Even in the scenario that I do save some of it, it would be for the purpose of saving up for a big purchase like replacing my shitty car, which isn’t an option at all atm.

No, deflation by itself is good for the average person. It’s the outside factor of billionaires and corporations trying to maximize every last cent of profit that makes deflation a bad thing… and what do you know, it’s the same billionaires and corporations throwing inflation into over drive with their excessive price gouging.

I don’t know maybe it’s just me, but it sure seems like neither deflation nor inflation are the problem here. Both situations have their own unique challenges, but the thing making either a totally dire situation is the greedy billionaires and corporations. We should do something about that.

• azertyfun@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

Your problem is with consumerism.

Entertain for a minute the though of a world with absolutely no consumerism or financial elites where no-one ever buys anything unnecessary or made of plastic.

In a deflationary scenario, everybody holds on to every dollar they make which they don’t have to spend on nevessities. Savings account are worse than the underside of the mattress, since deflation means negative interest rates by definition.
            So where do you find the money to finance medical research, new roads, or anything that would return a future net benefit to society? Money under a mattress serves no purpose to society whatsoever.

• assassin_aragorn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Doesn’t that mean that deflation is favorable to the rich however, and inflation is favorable for the working class?

Deflation makes what we already have more valuable, so people who have the most would see their net worth go up the most. In contrast however, inflation means the people hoarding wealth would see their net worth go down. The purchasing power for the wealthy only gets higher in deflation.

This would suggest that inflation is actually to the benefit of consumers when it’s kept within check. The money they earn is more valuable relative to their net worth. Or rather, they don’t have as much of a loss to their assets.

• paddirn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

This doesn’t seem like a correct use of this meme. I’d even allow for something other than the standard “Aliens” if it was something equally ridiculous or nonsensical compared to the first statement, but this isn’t even following the format.

• FrankTheHealer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Because it’s efficient at transferring wealth upwards.

Normally a strong democracy with multiple parties, checks and balances would help stop this. But the new META in economics is to just buy politicians to do your bidding for you. Kinda hoping the Supreme Court will patch that at some point, but it’s not looking likely.

• Tartas1995
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I am not even saying that capitalism is remotely acceptable but prices going up doesn’t imply inefficient of the system. Inflation could be a reason and inflation says nothing about efficiency.

Shit on capitalism. Be my guest. Just don’t make bad arguments.

• Kiwi_Girl@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I thought they were coming at it from a supply & demand angle.

Inelastic demand on food and housing yet prices still go up.

• Tartas1995
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

That might be the case but generalized statement that are wrong, are wrong.

Don’t generalize to the point of failure of your point. Especially in public, the in-group might understand you but the out-group will misunderstand and judge you and your ideology based on their misunderstanding.

• Haha@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Ok explain why the prices in my local supermarkets go up every three weeks. Go ahead. Whats the argument.

• natuhhlee@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I’m not an expert in macroeconomics but I’d say some global effects are likely due to the invasion of Ukraine (global exporter of wheat) ABC News and US Gov, the rising price of oil (some fertilizer uses fossil fuels)NBC, and possibly that the world has changed due to Covid and that a lot of things had shifted along with it CNN. A country that once was in the top 5 of grain exporters dropping off the global map is going to shake things quite a bit and oil unfortunately affects so many different markets.

• Haha@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I know all this. We can go through all sorts of explanation to see why, it still does not make it okay.

• Tartas1995
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Let’s say for the sake of the argument and not remotely because I believe it is the case nor any other reason than for the sake of the argument, your prices go up due to inefficiency, that doesn’t change the fact a increase in pricing doesn’t prove inefficiency. Just that sometimes it is the reason.

My pet is a dog. Not all pet are dogs. The existence of pets doesn’t prove the existence of dogs nor are all pets dogs.

• Haha@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

We need water, so uh, what do you think lmao. The cost of necessities going up and still paying for it doesn’t equate to it being acceptable, bootlicker.

• ASeriesOfPoorChoices@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

You’re paying for water at your local supermarket?wtf is wrong with you?

What kind of fucking moron gets water from a supermarket?! If you have to buy water from a shop, why don’t you get it from a distillery? Fuck you’re dumb and deserve everything wrong in your life.

• Haha@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

People like me with specific diseases or issues need a specific brand we can get from supermarkets or the source itself. I cant drink filtered tap water or other stuff or i might actually die. Ever thought about that scenario? To me water is medicine and absolutely an expense. Back the fuck off and tone it down with the swearing. Shame on you! Username checks out. Don’t bother replying you are blocked.

• ASeriesOfPoorChoices@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

this is some stupid bullshit. if he thinks there’s magic water, he’s insane.

but mostly, he fucking retarded, because I said “distilled” and he ignored that, and wrote “filtered”, so that he could strawman to “win” an argument about how he’s not dumb as shit.

jfc, people. this is why Lemmy sucks.

• Chemical Wonka
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

On the contrary, this is the proof that it is efficient. The right question to make is: Efficient for whom?

• unreasonabro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I realize this isn’t really the place for this discussion but capitalism doesn’t know what the word “efficient” means. Is it efficient to have to buy the same thing twice? Is it efficient to only make cheap shitty and yet still overpriced versions of everything for the consuming public, shit that is designed to fail? Is pollution efficient? Is ruining everyone’s lives efficient? Pointless jobs? Rich people? These things are efficient the way fucking for virginity is efficient. The way Elon’s Twitter has been efficient. The way shitting the bed is efficient. Which is to say, it’s really fucking not.

• thatKamGuy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Capitalism is the most efficient way of extracting as much value from one’s employees, and sales from one’s customers as possible.

Efficiency isn’t always a good thing, such as in this case.

• Aceticon@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

It’s broader that that: it’s the most efficient way of extracting money from everything else in general.

Hence just how common it is to see large companies getting massive subsidies or having laws written to benefit them (notice, for example, the Disney Corporation rigging the system to extract more value from the broader society by getting the Copyright terms extended ahain and again), none of which is sales or employment related.

Capitalism doesn’t limit itself to things of a trading nature (which includes employment, which is basically people selling their work to others) and that’s the core of the problem with it: it naturally corrupts anything around it which can help provide not just trade advantages but even force the rest of society to give larger entities “free” money even outside trade (subsidies, bailouts) or forcing into being paid for that which would be naturally free (i.e. copyright, water rights, even land).

Some people think Crony Capitalism is not real Capitalism, but is actually real Capitalism in it’s purest form: the best ROI in this game of who makes the most money comes from buying the referees and those who make the rules.

• Kjatten@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Couldn’t have said it better. Our society is bound to collapse, and it’s us, “the peasants”, which will be dealt the blow.

• fosforus@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Capitalism is effective at cleaning up inefficiency, at least if it’s allowed to run its course. Twitter, for instance: if it crashes and burns, all the talent in there will be free to move to doing something better instead. If it somehow succeeds, that’s a more obvious net benefit as well.

Is it efficient to only make cheap shitty and yet still overpriced versions of everything for the consuming public, shit that is designed to fail?

Why do people buy cheap and shitty things?

Is it efficient to have to buy the same thing twice?

What is this referring to? Obviously not efficient.

Pointless jobs?

That’s a total waste, and these would be removed in an efficient market.

Rich people?

In a free market system, rich people happen because they’ve provided something that others want, or made good investments.

Is pollution efficient?

Pollution is indeed a problem that require global solutions. CO2 markets, for instance, are a thing.

Is it efficient to have to buy the same thing twice?

• Chrobin
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

What about space travel? Preclaimer: I’m a physics student. Before SpaceX and Indian companies, one ESA launch cost like 500 million dollars, which was impossible to achieve for scientists without direct ESA funding. Now, suddenly physicists can launch small satellites with less than a million.

• unreasonabro@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

and do you genuinely attribute that to capitalism or is that a necessary process that comes with developing a new technology and the infrastructure and expertise to operate it

do you genuinely not believe that that would have happened anyway

i’m sure it’d be hard to disentangle all the influences and come up with hard numbers for “how much” “capitalism” “contributed” and how much farther along cheap space flight is than it would have been under some nonexistent alternative system for which we have no real world examples, but to suggest space flight would not have gotten any cheaper than its initial price would be a tough position to defend, let’s put it that way.

And then let’s put it another way. Do you not think that a focused society, one run properly and without corruption (ie not human), could develop space flight faster, safer, and cheaper, than it could do while burdened with a bunch of greedy thieves who spend more of their resources on bribing politicians, lining their own pockets, and lying to the public about their products through the marketing department than they do on actual technological development?

Capitalism’s shit, m8. Just one big lie from start to finish with not a redeeming moment in between. It’s a vampire and you’re its food. Do you care if your food has opinions?

• MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

The system is working as intended.

The rich get richer

… The system is working as intended.

• mriormro@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Capitalism isn’t concerned with efficiency, merely the most direct route to monopoly.

• Nobody@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Companies that are structured to maximize short term shareholder value need to make extra profits at all costs.

Supply lines were strained during the pandemic, which led to drastic price increases. Supply lines stabilized and the pandemic subsidized. Prices didn’t go down? Why?

Because the companies that set prices need to make more money this quarter to make the shareholders happy. And they bribe the politicians and the judges and the regulators to control the system at every level.

These rich assholes doomed our world to destruction and our “leaders” were too greedy and small minded to stop them.

Enjoy the ride down

• BenLeMan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Because “number go up” is all the system cares about. Damn you living creatures for opposing it. The system shall prevail.

• LemmyIsFantastic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Wow. There ignorance in this thread is something. Lemmy doesn’t understand economics, at all . Bitcoin bruhs have it all figured out I guess.

• SlopppyEngineer
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

“We’re wrong about economics. But because we’re all wrong in the same way it kinda works.” ~Mark Blyth, political economist