I remember reading somewhere (probably my high school textbook) that one of the reasons people don’t like wind power being built is they cause visual pollution.

In my opinion, I think it would be pretty cool to just look out my window and see a giant windmill there, the opposite of visual pollution.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

“Visual pollution” is a bullshit term that rich people came up with to keep them from being built near their vacation resorts. It means “ugly”

• Shard@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Even if we agree that it causes visual pollution, I’d argue that visual pollution from fossil fuels is many multitudes worse. Case in point, major chinese and indian cities.

• technojamin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I was in New Delhi when the AQI was ~700, that is MUCH worse than visual pollution. My lungs started hurting within 20 minutes of being outside, and a huge amount of people on the domestic flight I was on (mostly local residents) had coughs.

• Max-P@lemmy.max-p.me
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Sometimes “ugly” is even “not pretty and wealthy looking”.

Wind turbines aren’t pretty but they’re not any more of an eye sore as overhead power lines or whatever. And at least it’s a symbol of caring about being sustainable.

A lot of people like to move all the “ugly” elsewhere out of their sight and then call those places shitholes. It doesn’t bother them they’re just moving the infrastructure where the less wealthy have to deal with it. They’d rather a coal plant destroy a lower class city in pollution than see wind turbines near their upper class neighbourhood.

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I think any place that rejects renewables should get a coal fired power plant instead. Let them reconsider it as their kids grow up with heavy metals and all the other shit these things spew out.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

We stayed at a private beach resort once and I never want to again. Sure it was nice for a bit having so much space to yourself, but I miss you guys. I missed the +90 year old couples holding hands, the kids hopped up on ice cream and youth and BEACH, the young families holding a newborn, the middle aged bikers, the weird guy driving a model T, teenagers being sullen and prodding jellyfish, dogs who look like they are in heaven, hipster bicycles, processed meat fried in sugar somehow, arcades that still take coins run by crooked carnies, the 12 guys who decided to dig a really deep hole, the weird religious ethnic immigrant group just chillin…

I missed humanity in all its loud happy glory. This is the way we are meant to have fun, together. Not alone on some beach chair while someone underpaid changes our towels.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s how they’ve been restricting multi home buildings for years. They don’t want it to lower their resale value by obstructing the skyline.

• macaroni1556@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Let alone power plants billowing steam and smoke

And they don’t damage the environment as much as a hydro dam

And nowhere as ugly as giant farms of solar

Honestly its probably the BEST looking power source

• themelm@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Ah pump jacks are satisfying to watch too. And I mean derricks are temporary. But I’ve always liked windmills.

• Gormadt@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

They look better than smoke stacks

And in all honesty they remind me of like a leisurely creek or small waterfall in that they kinda just keep going on in a pleasant consistent kind of way ya know?

Basically what I’m saying is that they’re pretty IMO

• Salad_Fries@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Would suggest a driving trip on I65 just north of Lafayette Indiana…

It is a flat boring patch of rural farm land just like the rest of rural indiana, but they added hundreds of wind turbines to the fields that stretch as far as the eye can see. It is truly a marvel to look at…

In essence, i drive through rural indiana every so often… i can definitively confirm that the section with windmills is far more interesting looking than the rest.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Yeah I drove from central ohio to Chicago once. The thing that struck me most was how little renewables ohio had. The wind farms were exactly what rural America needed to look fine.

But yeah also I advise against driving through rural Indiana because you still have to be there to do it

• A_Very_Big_Fan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I think they’re pretty tbh. There’s a huge stretch of them in a field I drive through sometimes, and at night I like to just stop for a second and watch 95% of them all flash their light on top in sync across an impressive distance.

And sometimes there’s one or two flashing out of sync in a weird rhythm and I assume it’s like an error code which I think is pretty interesting

• MaxHardwood@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I think they look really cool. I can’t get the rage about a friggin’ giant electricity producing machine but they’re fine with billboards everywhere.

• spittingimage@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Once The Man figures out that windmills would make good persistence-of-vision displays to play adverts on, I’m going to start burning them down.

• CarbonIceDragon@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I find them comforting in a reassuring, kinda awe inspiring way. Like, they’re a visual sign of at least trying to address climate change, and there’s something about having a giant, obviously artificial moving structure towering over the landscape that just gives me a sense of thrill and wonder that we are capable of building that. Those things are pretty massive if you get anywhere close to one, after all.

• HububBub@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

No, I like the rhythmic visual quality. And on a conscious level they make me feel happy about clean electricity. I see windmills every single day and they do not get old for me.

• stoy@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Like with anything, too much of it will look/taste/smell/sound bad.

Is that a reason in and of itself to not build wind power plants? No.

Personally I find wind power plants to look cool, a bit sci-fi and futuristic.

The argument that they are ugly is dumb, using a term like “visual pollution” is just a way to try and make a subjective oppinion sound like objective fact.

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

people arguing about visual pollution never had to worry about their kids growing up with asthma induced by exhaust fumes.