Business As Usual

Caption:

spoiler

A “hypocrisy” type meme with two images:

Top: photo of a military squad, all geared up, standing ready next to an armored vehicle. Caption: “Germany against scientists sitting in protest for climate”

Bottom: photo of a bunch of military personnel playing while wearing clown makeup. Caption: “Germany against farmers wanting to lynch government members because diesel subsidy needs to be cut”

• ogeist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

At the risk of being downvoted, I will try to explain what is the difference.

The farmers and their union planned and informed the Police about the protests with time in advance. The menure and the demonstrations might not be part of that but I do not know. Germany does respect the right to protest.

On the other hand, the climate protesters did not share their plans with the police and caused some property damage. But more than that they put themselves in danger, as some of them glued their hands.

I’m all in for the climate as well as for the farmers.

• schnokobaer@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I wonder what is worse

The one that’s over an long-term cause that can be ignored right now rather than wanting money right now!

That one was easy.

• Roflmasterbigpimp@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

The Last Generation does that too, you know? They call ahead and inform Police and Fire department over their actions. They simply don’t wait to be allowed to demonstrate because why would they? The Government simply ignores them and their demands to stop killing us all slowly.

• rex30303@lemmings.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Where some of the fatmers protests announced yes but by god not all of them. Some town were completly cut of by trucks and tractors without notice. Doctors and Nurses werent able to get to hospitals they in some case didnt let the police trough which is amazong on so many levels to me.

• ogeist@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Electric tractors are not there yet and they are not free, I’m in for not letting the farmers live in poverty. Inflation and the current state of things is not good for them.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

The farmers’ lobby is one of the largest and most influential in Germany. Farmers made an average operating profit of more than €80,000 in 2021/2022 and received a total of more than €40,000 in subsidies. So yes. Simply capitalist lobbying.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

even as a german i dont understand this meme? diesel subvention is good for the farmers?!?!? A tractor doesnt work with just hot air?

Or does it meant Germany against farmers wanting to lunch government members, because they cut diesel subvention?

I dont know the facts but the meme doesnt make sense for me XD

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

We have shown no regard for climate protesters (progressives) and remove them by force wherever they show up, because we can’t have them threaten the status quo.

Meanwhile our fucking farmers, being sustained by substantial government money against all reason, throw a hissy fit when the government has to cut it unexpectedly because our supreme court decided that the world dying of climate change is not enough reason to take on a bit of debt and denied their budget.

And we let them.

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Being frankly, support local farmers is important, specially with all the uncertainties of climate changes. I also think that governments should help and incentivize criation of alternatives, just increasing the diesel price would not make a farmer use a hoe instead. For me this kind of solution is just government not helping at all but putting the weight in a specific groups.

I’m all in against lobby and things like that but we need strong governments leading the energy transformation, not the private sector, specially weak markets like farming can’t do this alone, only large landowners.

• zeluko@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

There was a funny post on reddit about a family of farmers calculating their worth, trying to justify their hissy fit, turns out they make more than most of us and have significant wealth in property value and ability to have substantial passive income if they didnt wanted to be farmers anymore.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

But then, we should help them even more to stay farmers, or they will not to choose to do so and cripling the local environment => less food produced => more imports => more cost of living and more polution.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Huh, If i do my maths again.

No farmers, no local production. So you have to pay for importing ( yes it cost something ) The normal “Bread” costs now instead of 1€, 1€ + the import costs. Because WHO else would pay for it.

1+1+1=3 Thats how it works

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

No farmers would increase the price until someone sees enough benefit to become a farmer.

Just like how it has always worked.

• zeluko@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

Like with most other markets we have, price goes up, opportunity for people to go into the market or to expand goes up too.
                  If bread gets more expensive, might be worth for me to sell bread too and build up production.

• zeluko@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

Thats already included in the calculation. After paying employees, taxes, repairs, and other costs, they still have alot more than most of us will ever make.

Besides, they already get money from the government when they had a bad year.
              Private profits, public losses.

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I try to buy local produce too to reduce climate impact. Tax imported foods then and use that money to subsidize local farmers if really necessary, but I would rather see them modernize instead of being kept afloat by taxpayer money.

It’s a tricky subject because objectively, shipping food that could be produced locally from the other side of the world is basically an eco-crime, and degrades our quality standards. Then, throwing endless subsidies at local farmers (who, turns out, have a notably higher standard of living than the average German already) isn’t appropriate either.

In my opinion it comes down to the fact that farming / food production shouldn’t be left to the private sector (nor should infrastructure, natural resources, healthcare and industrial means of production, but that’s veering off topic).

• hyves@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I don’t know about Germany, but in the Netherlands people also kept giving that “no farmers no food” argument even though we produce much more than we actually eat. Most of our food is for export.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

Yeah it states all of them needs farmers that care for them. And if farmers dont want to do it anymore all of it goes to 0 because there is no food.

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

Do you not understand basic economics?

Food is pretty much a non elastic commodity. People must have it to live, so the demand is quite fixed regardless of price.

So as soon as the food production drops low enough that prices rise so high that it is profitable on its own, people will be farming again.

Right now we keep local farming artificially afloat through subsidies for strategic reasons. This is necessary because food from elsewhere would be cheaper to import than to produce it here, and the subsidies allow local produce to compete with those cheap prices.

That being said, I am definitely not in favor of importing low quality industrial trash from the other side of the globe either; local farming is better for the environment and provides higher quality product.

We just need to find a better way than throwing money at already well off farmers just so they pretty please keep doing their job.

• i3c8XHV@aussie.zone
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

Nope, what you’ll get is more import, and strategic dependency on food producing countries.

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  6 months ago

Yea I mentioned that, no? We keep local farmers going not because it’s the cheapest thing to do but so we have an independent means of producing food, otherwise we would be dependent on imports and also suffer the resulting geopolitical power loss.

• PotatoesFall
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Removing these subsidies will not stop farming in Germany. It’s a small setback to an already very pampered industry. Please don’t parrot these “no farmers no food” slogans, the existence of farmers is not under threat.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Imported goods from far away countries, that gets delayed because the climate protestors blocked the road. And this in a endless cycle.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

I am just looking at the beef vs coffee. I assume this is by weight. I drink too much coffee but the amount I use in a day has to be a small fraction of the amount of beef I have eaten in a single meal.

It’s an interesting way to look at it.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

Yeah it still shows, that those red parts could have been almost 0. Your point is probably to eat only vegan i guess. Just a question about the diagramm, would it take in if all of them are import ( via airplane ) or are they all calculated if they are in the same country?

Idc about those tbh, my choice stands, we should help the local farmers and help them reduce their emissions.

• PotatoesFall
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

We are helping them to reduce their emissions. With diesel subsidies removed, a farmer has an economic advantage when saving fuel vs a wasteful competitor.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

Reduce farmers ahh yes then their fields get built upon and they cant go back. Congrats you reduced local emissions to 0 but increased the rate of imports from far away countries.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I mean supporting our local farmers benefits both, the environment and the people around them with jobs.

With the “progressives” arent they called “klimakleber” if so i have no regards on them too, blocking roads for cars or even emergency services i have no tollerance on that, they are literally killing people with their behaviour.

We all know that there is a climate change, but with that behaviour no one will ever do anything, because like said just the name is saying everything.

• LwL@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

No one has been doing anything before the klimakleber, so if all they lead to is no one doing anything, that’d still be fine.

But in reality it does help. More extreme forms of protest shift the point of reference and as such help other forms get taken seriously. Even if I have mixed feelings about it, ultimately it’s probably a good thing.

Also to my knowledge the Klimakleber have always left space for a Rettungsgasse…

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Huh, not in my region then. Could be Klimakleber extreme. Probably all glued themselves and could stand up for because of it.

I think we have both different understandings, the Klimakleber is for me a laughing stock.

They should rather do something productive for the environmnet, and not buy extra warning jackets, glue that is probably bad for the environment and forcing cars to idle and get people angry about the klimakleber.

• GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Regarding the klimakleber, obviously they should let emergency services pass. However, what else do you think they should do, if not peacefully be inconvenient? Everything else is already illegal here, or has no reach.

The situation is dire, our ecosystem is collapsing and everyone under 60 right now is very likely to feel the dramatic consequences of that. We need to make drastic and uncomfortable changes in our way of life and economic system to prevent the worst, and people do not want to hear this, they just want to go on. If there is one thing Germans fear it’s change.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

The thing is you are going not to convince anyone by inconvinience. Thats sadly the hard truth. Be a good modle and dont buy stuff you dont need, eating local sourced food, dont drive unecessary and hope that today not a klimakleber blocks your way, so that you have to idle unnecessary. Push repairability, reusability and long lasting products. Dont buy a new iphone every year.

Dont buy the coffee out of the the furthest possible country.

And so that you know, the internet runs on electricity! So every click you do here produces emissions.

• brrt@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

So you’re saying the farmers protests, which inconvenienced many people and raised emissions by wasting fuel driving around tractors with no real purpose, are wrong too? Got it!

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

At least they are doing it right. And let emergency vehicles through. + they dont fly to the place where they want to protest.

• brrt@sh.itjust.works
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  6 months ago

It must be quite tiring trying to justify to yourself the same means if only they meet your ends.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

The fact you are here arguing proves it works. We wouldn’t be having this conversation if they didn’t glue themselves to something.

We would be arguing something less important.

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Wow we prove it with mentioning . Do we prove aliens if we mentioning them too? Klimakleber went up in the funny charts because of that everyone knows and is annoyed by them.

• nte
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Both are blocking the roads. One protest is regarding our all future without personal gain, the other one is about profit margins. Both are blocking the roads, all the same

• Rooki@lemmy.worldM
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

One is protesting because they feel like it, the other wants to say if you do that we leave our jobs and you will not have local farmers anymore.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

Klimademonstranten werden von der Straße gezerrt weil Sie versuchen uns am elendigen verrecken zu hindern. Bauern die in Landwirtschaftlichen Betrieben im Schnitt mehr als 80.000€ GEWINN (nicht Rohgewinn, nicht Umsatz sondern ECHTEN GEWINN) machen und davon mit mit mehr als 40.000€ subventioniert werden regen sich auf und bekommen sogar noch Verständnis weil Sie minimal weniger Subventionen bekommen würden. Dabei wurde von den Kürzungen schon wieder einiges zurück genommen BEVOR die Proteste anfingen. Dazu kommt das diese “Demonstranten” Habeck am verlassen einer Fähre gehindert haben, versucht haben diese zu stürmen und ein Gesprächsangebot von Habeck einfach stumpf abgelehnt haben. Was auch immer die machen wollten, reden war es ja scheinbar nicht.

(Bild weil Statista einen manchmal einfach die Statistiken nicht sehen lässt.)

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’m more concerned about the clown make up. I’m pretty sure using clowns against civilians violates at least 3 dozen conventions of the Geneva accords…