The White House said Sunday that “it’s the right time” for Israel to scale back its military offensive in the Gaza Strip, as Israeli leaders again vowed to press ahead with their operation against the territory’s ruling Hamas militant group.

The comments exposed the growing differences between the close allies on the 100th day of the war.

• banneryear1868@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Biden was hoping this would be one and done, but the longer it goes on the more it threatens the election. Sad that it has to work this way.

That said the sentiment that, “geez this is really bad for Palestinians Biden’s polling,” that dominates a lot of the US-centric media and political discourse is pretty disgusting. It always seems to be the case that now is always the worst time to act against war in any way.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Damage already done anyway. Joe “I didn’t ask for a ceasefire” Biden has blood on his hands. A lot of it.

• i_am_not_a_robot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

What does Biden’s polling or blood matter? Do we get a choice? The red party candidacy will go to Trump and the blue party is apparently planning to skip the election and keep Biden as president until he inevitably dies of old age because they’ve opted not to hold any debates.

Voting reform hasn’t happened, so without a miraculous level of coordination and turnout from like-minded voters, Biden being reelected is the best outcome we can hope for. Without a way to ensure a majority of states will vote third party (remember we still have the electoral college with unequal representation and most delegates are able to vote however they want, and many states first count votes by district), voting for a third party candidate is half a vote against your second choice. If you’re in a state where your vote actually matters, you can vote for a third party out of protest or because you really think the third party candidate is better, and then your least favored candidate can win as a result.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

We need to move beyond voting in this broken system.

Personally I’m in Florida so my vote really means fuck all anyway since FL is solid red now so I’m going with third party. Claudia de la Cruz with PSL most likely.

We’re clearly never going to push Dems left by voting for them. The only other possible option for this system is “Move left or you will lose”. This least evil barely different shit is getting old. Beyond that we need to take to the streets.

• Binthinkin@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Good luck continuing to provide no benefit to society with your Florida Man ideas.

We appreciate it!

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

Huh? Does Biden have a rats chance in hell of even being a little close in Florida? No. So I might as well enjoy pissing into the wind.

• tb_@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                5 months ago

You’d rather have Trump on the throne?

A vote not cast is a vote in favour of your opposition.

Sadly, in the two party system of the US, the only effective alternative vote is the one for the lesser of two evils. At least there’s a chance that one will do some things right.

• floofloof@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Are they going to stop supplying Israel with weapons for this slaughter, or continue sending weapons while publicly asking Netanyahu if he wouldn’t mind stopping please?

• isles@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

This is where we say “patriot missiles don’t kill people, people kill people” and keep profiteering.

• filister@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

The narrative that only military force would bring the hostages back to Israel started to crack big time. I see Israel is responsible for the death of a lot of hostages and they managed to save 1 of them only?

And unfortunately even if they manage to oust Netanyahu I am afraid they will elect a government which is even further right and they will more or less screw up any potential for peace in the region.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

JERUSALEM (AP) — The White House said Sunday that “it’s the right time” for Israel to scale back its military offensive in the Gaza Strip, as Israeli leaders again vowed to press ahead with their operation against the territory’s ruling Hamas militant group.

The war has sent tensions soaring across the region, with Israel trading fire almost daily with Lebanon’s Hezbollah militant group and Iranian-backed militias attacking U.S. targets in Syria and Iraq.

“We are continuing, and our front is inflicting losses on the enemy and putting pressure on displaced people,” Nasrallah said in a speech, referring to the tens of thousands of Israelis who have fled northern border areas.

Late Sunday, Hamas released a short video in which three Israeli hostages, presumably speaking under duress, pleaded with their government to end the war and bring them home.

The unprecedented level of death and destruction in Gaza has led South Africa to lodge allegations of genocide against Israel at the International Court of Justice.

During a visit to the region last week, Secretary of State Antony Blinken renewed his calls on Israel to do more to reduce civilian casualties and increase the supplies of desperately needed humanitarian aid entering Gaza.

The original article contains 1,327 words, the summary contains 200 words. Saved 85%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Said Genocide Joe once again. Last time was right before he bypassed Congress to send israel more weapons.

Guess he’s preparing to bypass Congress once again but first the crocodile tears must flow.

• anteaters@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Of course they say that - the hostages trapped in Gaza are Israelis and not Americans. Were they Americans then Gaza would have ceased to exist last year.

• anteaters@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

True, Gaza randomly captured a colorful selection of people they could get their hands on without any care of where they are actually from. Anyone from the other side of the border is a valid slave to them.

• bdonvr@thelemmy.club
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

No it just so happens that a lot of the settlers over there have dual citizenship because they’re not actually from there, or their parents weren’t.

• Limitless_screaming@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

Hmm… This reminds me of a country that kept a strip of people under a blockade, while calculating the calories they need to stay just above starvation level, and then gave permits to the people of the stripe to work like slaves for them.

Anyways the hostages aren’t slaves there. They’re bargaining chips, and it seems like one side of this conflict doesn’t value them.

• idoubledo@lemmy.sdf.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

Well, that strip of of land is not occupied since 2005, which hasn’t prevented Hamas and the “innocent people of Gaza” from throwing more than 8,000 rockets into civilian towns, while also trying to build tunnels under the border. What would you expect Israel to do? Open the border and just let them in? You’re delusional, ill-informed or you just want Israel gone, in which case you call for a actual genocide.

Oh, btw, did you know Gaza also borders with Egypt? Ever asked yourself why the Egyptians never opened their borders to their fellow Muslim brothers even though a large percentage of the Gaza population descended from Egyption migrants to the region?

Also, why wasn’t there any calls for a Palestinian state between 1948-1967?

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Hamas shouldn’t have governed Gaza, but the other option had to be Fatah and “Israel” had to be a blood thirsty nation for all of it’s existence. Hamas was acting as a charity; making the situation better for Gazans by building hospitals, schools, and mosques. While Fatah was showing off its corruption, and Hamas didn’t even win by that much: Hamas: 44.45% | Fatah: 41.43 %

Israel left Gaza in 2005, one year later Hamas took over and killed its political opponents, this was followed by an unprovoked daily barrages of missiles towards civilian towns. I don’t know where your claim of Hamas was acting out of charity comes from, and obviously the schools mosques and other charitable activity was all a front for their terrorist activities.

What do you think should have been the answer to that problem? I think cutting off weapons supply routes is a reasonable course of action. Regarding water, communication and electricity independence - those problems could have been at least partially solved with the billions in aid money that were instead used for terror infrastructure under civilian homes.

Gaza was supposed to be an example of how a Palestinian state could eventually look like, but they f***ed up, badly.

“Israel” shouldn’t have existed, and should cease to exist

“From the river to the sea” style? Your true colors are showing

All-Palestine. Looks like a call to me

You didn’t actually read the link you sent, did you? this initiative was a failure, with no real takers from the Arab states. Jordan basically ignored it by annexing the West bank immediately, and Egypt would rather use Gaza to generate more problems for the new Israeli state than confront it directly after the defeat of 1948 (it annexed it later stating its incompetence).

• Limitless_screaming@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

I don’t know where your claim of Hamas was acting out of charity comes from

Social services wing

What do you think should have been the answer to that problem? I think cutting off weapons supply routes is a reasonable course of action.

I don’t disagree.

Regarding water, communication and electricity independence - those problems could have been at least partially solved with the billions in aid money that were instead used for terror infrastructure under civilian homes.

They were used for welfare too, but not everything can be solved with valueless paper notes.

“From the river to the sea” style? Your true colors are showing

I never hid my “true colors”, The nation simply shouldn’t have existed. BTW you’re still not addressing your “innocent people of Gaza” comment, and that’s a pretty ugly shade. So you haven’t unlocked the moral high ground yet.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

All of you assholes down voting my comment, tell me how stating facts deserves your down votes.

• bamboo@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Stating facts deserve downvotes when they’re stated in a way that intentionally misrepresents them, especially when that purpose is justifying genocide.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  5 months ago

That’s a gross misrepresentation of what I wrote, also, there’s no genocide being done today. On October 7th however…

• twinnie@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I’m no defender of the US or anything but I doubt they’d be bombing refugee camps and hospitals.

• Mrkawfee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I get the feeling, given that Israel has killed more civilians in 3 months than the US did in Afghanistan in 20 years, that the US doesn’t go out of its way to deliberately target civilians.

• agitatedpotato@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

Whats fucked up is the US did kill a lot of civilians too. You can look up interviews with marine Staff Sergeant Jimmy Massey who details some really brutal standard oeperating procedures on some of the cities most occupied by the terrorists forces. He describes pulling bodies from cars ‘time and time again’ that turned out to be civilians just trying to flee the city(which is a possible reason why they ignored the US troops warning shot). It’s some horrifying stuff, and what makes me sick is that by the numbers it’s so much worse in Gaza still. I can’t fathom the lack of regard for life it takes to do what Israel is doing, even giving them every benefit of the doubt it looks worse than what the Staff Sergeant admitted to and in his own words called genocide.

• banneryear1868@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

While US sponsored military committed atrocities in Afghanistan it served their overall goal to avoid it as much as possible. We have plenty of examples where that wasn’t the case, but generally the US prefers to arm counter-revolutionaries and fascists to do what they do.

• Ashy@lemmy.wtf
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

They’ll get to those once they are done bombing all the weddings.

• BraveSirZaphod@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

“Refugee camps” is something of a misleading term when it comes to Gaza. While there are several settlements that did begin decades ago as camps of tents, which is the image the term conjures, at this point they are essentially cities like any other. Due to some unique legal circumstances, a huge chunk of the population of Gaza are legally considered refugees by the UN, but this is a unique status that’s even inheritable by the descendents of the people who originally fled during the establishment of Israel.

This isn’t to defend bombing civilians, to be clear. It’s just that, frankly, it’s difficult to throw a dart at Gaza without hitting what is legally considered a refugee camp.

• BeanGoblin@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

The valid response to that is not “Oh well, guess lots of civilians are gonna die”, it’s “Shit, guess we can’t bomb the place then.”

• BraveSirZaphod@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

My point is that, in this context, “bombing a refugee camp” is not meaningfully different than bombing any other urban environment.

Which is to say, very deadly and terrible and generally a bad idea unless there are literally no other options, which I would say isn’t really the case here.

• vind@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

The majority of the population in Gaza was not born when Hamas “won the election” (which, by the way, was supported by Israel). Then now they have no choice but to “show support” in polls because Hamas is authoritarian. That’s like saying the majority of North Koreans are supportive of Kim Jong Un’s government because the polls say he has a 100% approval rating.

• FMT99@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Those babies in the hospitals didn’t vote for anyone. Besides, a war crime is a war crime even if the target “deserved” it.

A whole population doesn’t deserve to be punished for the crimes of some of them. It’s the kind of barbaric evil practised by dictators.

• boredtortoise@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Israel has chosen to attack mostly the population instead of precisely hostile forces

• anteaters@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Gaza has chosen to completely blur the boundaries between combatants, locations used for terrorist attacks and the civilian population. They expected to Israel to just sit on their hands and go “duh, guess we’ll have to accept them kidnapping people and wildly shooting missiles at us.”

That was a fucking dumb expectation and now everyone there has to pay for it.

• OccamsTeapot@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

That was a fucking dumb expectation and now everyone there has to pay for it.

You might say they are being punished collectively. Like collective punishment. Aka a war crime

• anteaters@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              6 months ago

Maybe Israel Hams could… Not starve them. Maybe let them actually have an economy. These things would really help.

Ungodly amounts of money were pumped into Gaza and all they have to show for it is tunnels for terrorists to hide in, weapons caches in every house and thousands of rockets. Is that supposed to be the “economy” of Gaza?

Uh… I know your ilk don’t care about the facts, but October 7th was legitimate resistance.

Also there is no need for you to respond, this outs you as a disgusting creature completely lost to any form of reason.

• NoneOfUrBusiness@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                6 months ago

Ungodly amounts of money were pumped into Gaza

Which doesn’t help when you can’t actually use it to buy things. Israel’s blockade is calculated so it keeps Gaza on the brink of collapse after aid.

• Deceptichum@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

Where do you expect Palestine to field its conventional army and will Israel allow them to get tanks planes etc shipped in?

Its a war zone the size of a city, how else are they going to fight here in your mind?

• anteaters@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

Who said anything about tanks and planes? Stop that nonsense. How about wearing some sort of uniform to make them distinguishable from civilians instead of running around in tracksuits hiding weapons? They love to dress up like soldiers for photo ops and parades but when push comes to shove they wear adidas and sneakers.

They decided to play war dressed as civilians and hide among them - a war crime that expectedly makes civilians into potential targets.

• kurwa@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Oh so that’s why Israel has leveled city blocks? That’s why they have killed 1 out of 100 of every Palestinian? That’s why the starve them, take away their electricity, aid, and water? The “was crimes” that is just guerilla warfare is puny in comparison to the atrocities that Israel commits on the daily, for the last 70 years.

• anteaters@feddit.de
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  6 months ago

That’s why they have killed 1 out of 100 of every Palestinian? That’s why the starve them, take away their electricity, aid, and water?

That’s on Hamas. They steal all the aid and murder the people living there. They misfire their rockets on their “own” people trying to harm Israel. Go direct your complaints at them - they can stop the war.

And I see how you just completely ignore the fact that Hamas war crimes directly lead to the civilian populace becoming a target. Engaging in combat dressed as a civilian is not “guerilla” warfare - even those wear their uniforms to act within the Geneva Conventions. What Hamas does is just plain old terrorism.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Uh… I know your ilk don’t care about the facts, but October 7th was legitimate resistance. That’s why it targeted military facilities, and why even after the IDF shot and shelled their own citizens 33% of casualties were military targets. Not denying that too many atrocities were committed, but “October 7th was a terrorist attack” is basically Israeli propaganda at this point.

But even if that wasn’t the case, stop supporting genocide.

• kick_out_the_jams@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

“October 7th was a terrorist attack” is basically Israeli propaganda at this point.

Let me see you try telling that to the folks who were at the music festival.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

I did say I acknowledge and condemn all atrocities that were committed. However, that and the idea that October 7th as a whole was a terrorist attack are different things, because to say October 7th was a terrorist attack is to deny the concrete military goals it had or, alternatively, claim that in addition to these goals it had the goal of killing civilians. The distinction is important because “Hamas soldiers committed atrocities on October 7th” and “October 7th was legitimate resistance” aren’t mutually exclusive, but “October 7th was a terrorist attack” and “October 7th was legitimate resistance” are.

Also, the IDF killed their fair share of civilians at the festival, so blaming all the casualties on Hamas requires numbers that Israel refuses to release or denies altogether.

• PugJesus@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

Uh… I know your ilk don’t care about the facts, but October 7th was legitimate resistance.

Jesus fucking Christ.