the one where I’m unconcious for a couple hours while vividly halucinating

• ArtieShaw@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Two cats at once. I get the part of the bed not taken by the cats. I’m motivated to lie very still by the cats and the obvious repercussions for moving.

If that fails, the podcast Casefile - gruesome true crime stories recited by a very slow talking Australian fellow. It almost always puts me out. In bed or on planes.

• ClusterBomb@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Mine is really weird and hard to describe. I’ll try to be concise. I close my eyes (no shit Sherlock) and I imagine faces of people. It can be someone close, a star of a TV show, anything. Then I change element of their face one by one (e.g. their eyes). And I keep going. And everytime the face changes enough I question myself “I know this person, who is this ?”. And when I answer the question, the face is clearer (because I’ve put a name on the face so it is easier to imagine it and correct it) and I can go on again until I fall asleep.

• ApostleO@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

To combat jet lag, or otherwise reset your sleep schedule if it has drifted…

1. Go 24 hours without eating.

2. Go to bed early enough to make sure you get 8-10 hours before you normally want to wake up.

3. Using an alarm, wake up a bit earlier than you usually want to wake up.

4. Make a big breakfast, eating when you normally want to wake up.

Now your body will have reset its circadian rhythm, and you’ll naturally wake up at that time.

• betterdeadthanreddit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

If I’m having a hard time getting to sleep, I put on a podcast and that usually does the trick. Need to find something in the sweet spot where it’s engaging enough that it’ll hold my attention without being so interesting that it keeps me awake.

• drawerair@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I used to have a hard time when I wanted to fall 💤. Podcast has been magical to me. I play Daily tech news show then I’m 💤.

• ccunning@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

My bed is exclusively for sleeping and sex. No food. No coffee. No TV. So my body has learned if we’re not doing one thing then we’re doing the other.

My mind does have a tendency to wander/worry/race though so I put on a podcast when I lay down to distract my brain. I’m usually asleep within 5-10 minutes.

• ascallion@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

That’s a great idea. I tend to scroll lemmy in bed like I’m doing now. Actually associating sleep with lying in bed sounds like it’d be pretty helpful.

• d00ery@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

If I’m struggling to sleep because I have a lot on my mind I’ll just read until I’m sleepy again - otherwise I end up getting more and more stressed.

• rah@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

sleeping technique

No idea what you mean by this.

• SisIsNotMaiMaserTong@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Imagining something fantastic like living in an asteroid mine and managing things. Or trying to not think anything. Both works for me. And of course working 60h a week and spending my whole free time with my kids leaving me completely exhausted falling in coma in a second. Good night!

• dan1101@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Dark room, turn on something boring/soothing on TV, turn sleep timer on 30 min, turn tv screen off, lay in a cozy comfortable position and close my eyes and listen.

• Hikermick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

My technique as well. I need a distraction from my own thoughts so I turn on something that’s not too stimulating. Definitely no news. Often something I’ve seen before though right now it’s Unsooolved Mysteries. LOTR is a soothing choice

• dan1101@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I tend to pick things with no sudden loud noises or music, like documentaries or standup comedy. Some shows like Seinfeld work pretty well too.