Hope it’s not too harsh for you guys

• DerisionConsulting@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I stopped walking to work, -50c is too cold for that.

And I didn’t shovel the sidewalk of my whole block, just the part in front of my house.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Holy crap, that’s cold!

• dankm@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

My son rode his bike across Saskatoon for work during this cold. Didn’t even slow him down. Not sure if he’s stupid, crazy, or brave.

• aberrate_junior_beatnik@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I live in Minnesota, my parents live in Florida, and I have a friend who used to live in SK. I could make fun of my parents for what they thought was cold; he could make fun of me for what I thought was cold. Don’t know how you do it.

• WashedOver@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

In Vancouver we don’t know that kind of cold. Wet and damp cold yes, but it’s been a unusually warmer winter. Low 50s even for Xmas and not at much rain and hardly any snow for local mountains.

Now it’s down to low 10s F it’s bloody super cold for us. With the wind chill it has been down to -10F. Not breaking your car quite yet but you don’t want to be out and about for too long without one. Usually the couple of days we get snow here it’s chaos and the major routes are a mess. It was just as bad the one day we did get some during the cold snap and it wasn’t even the wet and heavy stuff we normally get.

I usually go for short walks daily but not during these days - 10F days. We are warming up to near 32F for highs and I’m thinking this is probably nice BBQ weather for Edmonton now.

It seems all relative. I was down in Arizona this past winter. It was one of the coolest ones they had in Yuma and the day time temperatures were reaching high 60s to low 70s during the day with a lot of sun. I thought I was in heaven for winter. The locals were so disappointed.

Mind you at one point it was snowing in California, northern AZ, Phoenix, Tuscan, NM, and Texas while I was in a sun pocket so they may have had something to complain about but I would still take their dry and warm during the day over my normal wet and soggy days.

• kellyaster@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s -5°F over here in Chicago, supposed to hit a high of 2°F later today. Wife and I are working from home, so we’re both ok. We care for a feral cat that spends the winter months in a wooden cat house with a bed and plug-in heating pad that my wife installed on the back deck a few years ago. I’m always worried about that cat, she’s getting older and isn’t as spry as she used to be.

In about six, seven months it’s gonna be 100° warmer, which is wild to me.

• froge@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

For better or worse at least we all know how to deal with the weather. The trains don’t care what temperature it is and life goes on. I feel for the areas that aren’t equipped to deal with temps below 30.

• groucho@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

The snowblower froze up (specifically the mechanism that turns the spout) so I had to drag it into the house to warm it up. The plug cap on my headbolt heater also froze solid. I couldn’t bring the car into the house to warm it up because, among other things, I already had the snowblower in there. I spent 20 minutes with a heat gun prying it off instead.

Aside from that it was a normal weekend.

• the_third@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’m imagining your SO entering the living room full of usually outside stuff and you muttering “Don’t even ask.”

• groucho@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I actually went and talked to her before I started because I knew that was how it’d end up going.

• the_third@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Absolutely right. Open communication is the key to any new roommate situation, even if it’s only between an man, his wife, the couch and the poor freezing snowblower.

• Johandea@feddit.nu
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Too harsh?! It’s lovely! -20 where I’m at and it’s awesome 😎

• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Fine, born and raised Midwest so switching from 55f to -4f in the space of a week or two is no big deal, it’s supposed to be 50 and raining next week despite it being 1 and snowing today lol

• OneOrTheOtherDontAskMe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Man, my house needs sealed better, or maybe it’s just finally time to bite the bullet and move. My rent’s cheap, house is shit, landlords mostly forget we exist but there aren’t tons of problems normally…except when windchill hits and gets in the negatives, then my kitchen is a whole different climate than the rest of the house and I know it’s costing me in heating

• ScreaminOctopus@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I don’t know if you’ve tried this, but I bought some rope caulk for 7 bucks and used it to seal around my windows. It makes a world of difference if the windows aren’t sealing great. You can take it off in the summer when you want to open them up.

• PlanetOfOrd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Already had one power outage, another is on the way.

I actually kinda like power outages. They’re sort of an adventure.

The only gut-punch is that I’ve been looking for work for a while now. Hoping on a miraculous break-through soon. But I had to ask for money from friends for non-perishables.

• kosherbacon79@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Hit a snowbank with my car, so kinda shitty. Damage isn’t too bad, but it’s fucked up my morning.

• Madison420@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Did some dope 360s on the highway first snow, second snow like a week later I bonked some dude who was stopped across all the lanes. Great fun, at least I wasn’t any of the like 20-30 cars i saw off the highway during my like 16mi drive there and back.

• Pandantic@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Took two personal days because I can’t get out of my driveway and it’s not safe to stay out to shovel until Wednesday (when the temps and windchill will finally be above negative). Haven’t been out of the house since Thursday, but I have plenty of food, internet, and things to do.

• xor@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

it’s not safe to stay out to shovel until Wednesday (when the temps and windchill will finally be above negative)

i grew up in michigan and, yeah i shoveled snow in negative temps when i was 12… it’s safe IF you bundle up properly.
      some long johns, or even sweat pants, two pair of jeans… boots… (you can put breadbags over your socks if they leak or you don’t have boots…
      tons of layers of shirts, a ski mask, and gloves…
      no problem… you want the outermost layer to be waterproof/windproof…
      trench coats are actually quite functional and not just for murderers hiding guns…
      and the more you shovel, the more you warm up…
      of course, if the wind is real bad it gets kinda pointless, but you can kinda throw the snow with the wind and it’ll fly away… (unless there’s not one prevailing direction of wind)
      ummm… road salt is pretty important… sand helps too…
      also the layers help when you fall down on the ice…

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s -3 this morning. It used to be a fairly regular temperature during winter, so I’m doing alright. The reason it’s so bad though is this winter up to this weekend has been in the 40s, extremely warm for the season.

• PlasterAnalyst@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I had to pry my car door open yesterday because it was frozen shut. I also couldn’t open my window when I went through the drive up pharmacy.

• the_third@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

the drive up pharmacy.

I think I heard an eagle scream outside when I read that assembly of words 🇺🇸

• PlasterAnalyst@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

It actually makes sense, sick people aren’t going into the store and getting everyone else sick. Elderly people also don’t have to walk and risk slipping on the ice.

• the_third@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Yeah, still, the “never get out of your car for anything”-thing is very… associated with a certain country in the nothern hemisphere.

Those problems you mention have been solved for us, in our rural area of the country: The pharmacies offer a delivery service. Classic job for students, two rounds a day.

• BillMurray@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Sprinkler in the attic burst due to the cold and flooded 10 condos including my own. Great way to relax on a Sunday night, losing a battle to water rushing in from vent, sprinkler heads, lighting fixtures. Currently living out of a Best Western while they are drying out my apartment. Next step demo and restoration, yay.

• BillMurray@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Fire code in Canada, all new buildings need a pressurized sprinkler system. The pipe runs through the attic to a sprinkler head on the ceiling. But the dick head contractor did not insulate the pipe portion that was running through the uninsulated attic.

Oh and when the sprinkler is triggered only the fire department can turn it off.