• Ech@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Turns out every game sounds bad if you purposefully describe it badly.

• Tarquinn2049@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

This is every game for the people that skip dialog and cutscenes.

Now do a recap of a TV show, except skip all the parts where they aren’t shooting a gun or stuff isn’t exploding. I don’t get that TV show, nothing had any context and there was no motivation or lessons to learn, stuff just randomly exploded from being shot at.

• fartsparkles@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Pretty sure Minecraft was the most profitable game of all time.

And you can be that reductive for pretty much all games. Run right and jump on mushrooms. Watch shapes rotate and fall. Punch cubes. Three of the other most profitable games of all time.

• Ech@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Minecraft is the highest selling game (beating out GTA V by 110 million units sold source), but it’s not the most profitable. GTA does have it beat there ($9.9 billion vs $3.3 billion). Though CoD has them both beat at $31 billion (source).

• havokdj@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

CoD as a FRANCHISE beats them both, but you have to keep in mind that metric for GTA V and Minecraft are indeed, for single video games.

• Ech@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

That’s true (to be even more precise, the GTA metric is also for the franchise…which GTAV makes up $8.5 billion of >.>). How about Candy Crush at $20 billion?

• MadBob@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

“This game named after a crime involving cars involves too much driving and crime”

• Transporter Room 3@startrek.website
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

start game

go from A to B

press button/scan object

go from B to C

solve 3rd grade puzzle

go from C to D

scan object and defend while npc does things

optionally sneak from D to E

repeat until the game is over

And the best part is, I’m sure nobody even knows what game I’m talking about, but they think they might have it narrowed to 3 or 4.

Some of my favorite games on the planet are literally “wander around opening doors” and “go to a place to solve simple puzzles, press some buttons, and don’t die”

• MBM@lemmings.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’ll be annoying and say it’s been ages since I last played a game like this, and it’s not because I don’t game

• funkless_eck@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

live in point A

something calls someone away to point B

in order to change it back they have to sacrifice something important

return to point A

they are changed as well

and the best part nobody even knows which story I’m talking about

• voxel@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

watch dogs comes to mind first, just because of the 3rd grade puzzle part

• Cratermaker
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I was gonna say it couldn’t be Hunt Showdown, but it actually fits pretty well, minus the friendly NPC. Start game, collect clues, fight the boss, wait for the banish and try to defend, then take the boss token to the extract, all while trying not to die from enemy players. Of course the enemy players make it exciting, and I guess that’s why I’m not that into single player games.

How else can you create a good player experience while not alienating casual players though?

• PaulieDied@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

At least Vice City had fun missions like dropping bombs in trashcans with the world’s most fickle RC helicopters

• otp@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Not sure if they fixed it in the PC port, but I enjoyed it when I played it last. I think I failed the mission only once, if at all?

I imagine they reduced the number of enemies or their aggro range, or raised the timer by a ton

• OfficerBribe@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

That’s San Andreas. I loved all their missions and even though they also could be reduced to only, driving, flying and shooting they all felt distinct and memorable.

Invading Madd Dogg’s mansion and stealing lyric book and delivering it back OG Loc who had a party in your hood was fun. Stealing jetpack for a hippy, burying alive someone in construction site while they are in portable toilet, doing heists with Catalina, all that was fun.

I can’t seem to recall a single GTA 4 or 5 mission / moment truly memorable besides the line “Causin, let’s go bowling”. Maybe it’s all related to when I played SA and probably my memory was better then.

• PaulieDied@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Your memory may indeed be a bit flaky, because that mission (demolition man) is quite definitely from Vice City :)

I agree with the sentiment of your post though

• OfficerBribe@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Thought you meant New Model Army mission which also feature RC heli, bombs and barrels :)

I remember not knowing how to activate magnet and thinking that mission is impossible.

• lud@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I don’t understand why anyone would want to travel between point A and B and point B and A. Can’t they just make up their mind about where they want to be?

I just want to live at point D and spend a pleasant amount of time at point E

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

You can go to a virtual titty bar and see virtual titties.

Point A is not the titty bar and point B is the titty bar. That’s why it’s number 1. It’s also why you’re murdering everything in your way and trying to get to B as fast as possible. Because it’s a titty bar.

• gradyp@awful.systems
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Hate to say it, but it’s because it’s fun. I haven’t played in ages but despite it not being my kind of game (I’m usually a fallout kind of guy), I really loved playing through it. I enjoyed it enough that when the next one comes out, I’ll likely finally buy a current gen console.

• Rozz@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

So instead you like going on a mission, getting distracted and killing a bunch of people/ghouls/irradiated creatures and managing inventory ( I do too).

• Beefalo@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Sir the rest of us were ignoring the mission trying to see how many cops could chase us at once and also how many of them we could murder when we let them catch up. Then they went online with it and people started wearing the game like a suit.

That may explain things.