cross-posted from: https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/10692187

so, the company was Vastaamo. was because it got bankrupt after the breach, and GDPR violations.

the “hacker”(or rather cracker) was extradited from France to Finland.
you can read about how terrible the company’s security was here: https://tietosuoja.fi/en/-/administrative-fine-imposed-on-psychotherapy-centre-vastaamo-for-data-protection-violations

or watch mental outlaw’s video on the matter, or the Wikipedia article on the breach.

now there are several things that shouldn’t have happened (e.g.: don’t do these things on your main OS, have root access disabled, etc.), but I’ll leave that to you experts.

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      edit-2
      3 months ago

you’re underestimating people’s capability to make such mistakes. remember silk road? the guy used the same username in two places, and gave his email id(which had his full name) in one of them.

• THE MASTERMIND
        link
        fedilink
        363 months ago

Really who the fuck creates an email for that kinda thing with full names !

• @lemmesayOP
          link
          English
          613 months ago

it was late 2000s(he was arrested in 2013, before snowden leaks). and the guy wasn’t a “hacker”. he created the website where stuff(both legal and illegal) was sold. so, you have to keep that perspective in mind.

• THE MASTERMIND
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            3 months ago

Oh yeah i remember that guy i i thought you were talking about someone else. And in my opinion they should just free him he has done more time that he should have to whie other bigger criminals than him with money are running around free . But still it was a very noob mistake of course unless he did it delibretly because he didn’t care about anonymity.

• haui
      link
      fedilink
      223 months ago

Not saying its actually what happened but I would ask how he knew about the data.

Statistically, it should have been a random port scan that got in but since he‘s from the same country, he‘s either professionally or privately connected I assume. He either worked there in IT function, visited as a patient, dated an employee, etc.

So in other words, he‘s not a master hacker but probably stumbled across this. I had this with a webspace provider once were I could see all other customers folders when I used ssh instead of the web interface. I couldnt access them but I got a wiff of how stuff like this happens. 99.9% of their customers are inept at IT stuff so a mistake in ssh would never come up since customers wouldn’t use it and in that one case, they overlook it.

So, this might have been his first hack ever and it probably took a long time til he even understood what he had in his hands. Thats why I dont do stuff like this, I‘m prone to such mistakes as well. Most elaborate scheme imaginable and cc it by mistake to someone I know.

• @bamboo@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        103 months ago

I just was reading Wikipedia and it said he was arrested previously for hacking.

In 2015, when he was still a teenager, a Finnish court found Kivimäki guilty of more than 50,000 aggravated computer break-ins. Among other targets, he attacked large educational institutions in the US, hijacking emails, stealing credit card details and blocking site traffic.

Kivimäki received a two year suspended sentence for those charges.

https://yle.fi/a/3-12669196

You’re probably right he had some connection and stumbled onto the data, but this wasn’t his first rodeo.

• haui
          link
          fedilink
          53 months ago

Thanks for pointing it out. This makes it even more embarassing that he made a mistake like this. But I can still see how it could happen.

• @olutukko@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      63 months ago

Oh you wish. It was huge news, a shit ton of people.got their information and social security numbers leaked in plain text

• @rottingleaf@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      43 months ago

The main reason I’ve never done anything illegal online (not counting piracy) is that I’m confident I’ve been that stupid many times and will be if I do.

• @baseless_discourse@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    3 months ago

While in the U.S., your mental health data are just on the market, waiting to be brought.

https://www.ftc.gov/business-guidance/blog/2023/03/ftc-says-online-counseling-service-betterhelp-pushed-people-handing-over-health-information-broke

In the good case, there will be a class action law suit, and every victim will get approximately 2 dollars back for all their health data sold; but only after giving more sensitive information to the company that distributes these two dollars.

https://www.morrisbart.com/faqs/how-is-money-divided-in-a-class-action-lawsuit/

What a fun time to be alive.

• @chiliedogg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        553 months ago

I firmly believe any service that advertises that much on YouTube and podcasts is evil.

I’m waiting to hear about Hello Fresh’s child trafficking ring or whatever they’re up to.

• @AMDIsOurLord@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            133 months ago

Raid Shadow Legends is connected to an Israeli gambling company

Anything that advertises heavily is most likely to be a piece of shit

• @IntentionallyAnon@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            83 months ago

I find Nord’s sponsor scripts misleading at the best and lies at the worst but the service for what it is is pretty good. Still would recommend Mullvad

• @anivia@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              63 months ago

but the service for what it is is pretty good

I disagree. Most people wouldn’t need it at all, and for most people that would actually need it it’s useless due to not supporting port forwarding

• @IntentionallyAnon@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                3 months ago

Mainly so someone doesn’t get my ip and know my city and sometimes I sail the high seas

I know ip is useless. I just don’t want someone to get my city and send an investigator

I fully agree with your point. I feel like sponsor scripts should say these points. 1: if somebody sends you an ip tracker link Nord won’t leak your IP 2. if you want to watch georestricted content 3. If you are on someone else’s network and you don’t want them peeping your websites. 4. 🏴‍☠️

• @anivia@lemmy.ml
                  link
                  fedilink
                  13 months ago

and sometimes I sail the high seas

Yeah, but it’s useless for that. If you pirate from Usenet or one click hosters you don’t need a VPN, and if you use torrents or other peer to peer protocols you need port forwarding, which NordVPN doesn’t support

• Ann Archy
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Not exactly an indictment on the hacker as much as it is one on these predatory online psych dealerships.

Once again we’re seeing deregulations leading to McSolutions that A) are of lower quality, and B) more expensive than what we had.

• @WhoPutDisHere@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      103 months ago

Yeah, it felt like the clown man was the company in the first two panels, then it shifts to hacker, then the final few are just confusing. Poor clown man, so many internal conflicts.

• @Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Who has an email associated with their crypto wallet??

Unless… Oh… He transferred to a centralized service first then mixed it up and then transferred to the same service…

• TWeaK
    link
    fedilink
    English
    543 months ago

Sad that the company was able to declare bankruptcy, rather than the directors being held criminally liable.

• TWeaK
        link
        fedilink
        English
        103 months ago

That’s a start, but on its own pretty meaningless. A suspended sentence means he does not go to prison, so long as he behaves himself for a year or however long.

The article doesn’t go into it, but I hope he was also fined heavily. All we have is “the court determined it could not be resolve through fines, a prison sentence is warranted”.

• venia_sil
        link
        fedilink
        23 months ago

See? CEOs get criminal liabilities! Capitalism works!

(/s alas)

• @NaoPb@eviltoast.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    153 months ago

I’m always worried when making .tars that I’m doing something wrong when the file also has a . file inside. I know this is probably nothing but it makes me think of something like this.

• . and … are how terminals navigate around file systems.

The command cd . means “change directory (cd) to here (.)”

cd .. means “change directory to here, but one level up: my parent directory.”

So following that model, winrar and maybe older versions of 7zip used folders called ‘.’ as navigational tools within the archive browser. If you double-clicked through them, you’d see where they go.

I don’t know how much of this you knew, but the point is it shouldn’t freak you out too see them.

• @uis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    3 months ago

On one hand what the fuck just happeend, on the other hand it’s Finland, in Finland massmurderer will complain about lack of PS5 in prison and.

Edit: nevermind, it was PS3

• @Cavemanfreak@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      163 months ago

Dude, did you even read the (very short, obviously biased and sometimes factually incorrect) article you linked? Breivik is in Norway, not in Finland.

• @Urist@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Also, why the fuck should they not have access to ps3, books and such. Prison is about taking away one’s freedom, not about putting people in psychological or physical distress. In Norway we want convicts to be in a better state when they come out than when they got incarcerated (though Breivik will most likely never come out). Who wants to live next to a person who have been 20 years in solitary, I mean come on.

• @jkrtn@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          83 months ago

If you’re not a bloodthirsty Calvinist predestination lover I don’t know if you would understand the American mindset at all.

• @Cavemanfreak@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          53 months ago

Yep. The American system of punishment over rehabilitation is so strange to me. It won’t help one bit when (if in this case) they get out.