• @Tja@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1273 months ago

We cannot have two standards, that’s ridiculous! We need to develop one universal standard that covers everyone’s use cases.

• @ABCDE@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            243 months ago

Can it use others, and is there a benefit? USB C makes a lot of sense; lower material usage, small, carries data, power and connects to almost everything now.

• @BetaDoggo_@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              523 months ago

I believe USB-C is the only connector supported for carrying DisplayPort signals other than DisplayPort itself.

The biggest issue with USB-C for display in my opinion is that cable specs vary so much. A cable with a type c end could carry anywhere from 60-10000MB/s and deliver anywhere from 5-240W. What’s worse is that most aren’t labeled, so even if you know what spec you need you’re going to have a hell of a time finding it in a pile of identical black cables.

Not that I dislike USB-C. It’s a great connector, but the branding of USB has always been a mess.

• strawberry
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                3 months ago

would be neat to somehow have a standard color coding. kinda how USB 3 is (usually) blue, maybe there could be thin bands of color on the connector?

better yet, maybe some raised bumps so visually impaired people could feel what type it was. for example one dot is USB 2, two could be USB 3, etc

• @jaxxed@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                43 months ago

I think that the biggest issue with dp over usbc is that people are going to try to use the same cable for 4k and large data transfers at the same time, and will then whine about weird behaviour.

• @ABCDE@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                33 months ago

Yep, very true. I didn’t understand this until I couldn’t connect my Mac to my screen via the USB C given with the computer, I had to buy another (and order it in specifically). Pick up a cable, and I have no idea which version it is.

• @Mr_Dr_Oink@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                13 months ago

Dont forget the limited length. I cant remember exactly but usb c delivering power has a max length of arpund 4 metres

• cum
                link
                fedilink
                English
                13 months ago

Yeah I have multiple USB cables, some at 30w, and some at 140w. Get them mixed up all the time! More companies need to at least brand the wattage on the connectors.

• @Freestylesno@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                03 months ago

This is the big issue I have with with “USB C”. USB c is just the connector which can be used for so many things. What actual is supported depends on things you can’t see, like the cable construction or what the device supports.

• @frezik@midwest.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              63 months ago

There’s some really high bandwidth stuff that USB-C isn’t rated for. You have to really press the limits, though. Something like 4k + 240Hz + HDR.

• @ABCDE@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                13 months ago

That doesn’t even seem so unreasonable. Is that the limit though? My cable puts a gigabyte a second down it so I wouldn’t imagine that would hit the limit.

• @frezik@midwest.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  23 months ago

USB-C with Thunderbolt currently had a limit of 40Gbit/sec. Wikipedia has a table of what DisplayPort can do at that bandwidth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

See the section “Resolution and refresh frequency limits”. The table there shows it’d be able to do 4k/144hz/10bpp just fine, but can’t keep above 60hz for 8k.

Its an uncompressed video signal, and that takes a lot of bandwidth. Though there is a simple lossless compression mode.

• @GeniusIsme@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  23 months ago

It is trivial arithmetic: 4.52403840*2160 ≈ 9 GB/ s. Not even close. Even worse, that cable will struggle to get ordinary 60hz 4k delivered.

• @Player2@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          203 months ago

USB C is just a connector, you might be referring to Displayport over USB C which is basically just the same standard with a different connector at the end. That or Thunderbolt I guess

• @trafficnab@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          133 months ago

USB C seems like a good idea but in reality all it really did was take my 5 different, not interchangeable, but visually distinct, cables, and make them all look identical and require labeling

• admiralteal
          link
          fedilink
          83 months ago

I love having mysterious cables that may or may not do things I expect them to when plugged into ports that may or may not support the features I think they do.

• @trafficnab@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            43 months ago

If the implementation is so broad that I have to break out my label maker, can we even really call it a “standard”

• wjrii
        link
        fedilink
        343 months ago

I thought I had NSFW turned off… 🤣

• wjrii
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            3 months ago

When you’re trying to get into DPs, the outside can be slippery and the screw part can be tight! Very dangerous for the workplace.

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      153 months ago

As already mentioned, DisplayPort exists. The problem is adoption. Even getting DisplayPort adopted as the de facto standard for PC monitors hasn’t done anything to get it built into TVs.

• voxel
        link
        fedilink
        English
        13 months ago

also there’s still no alternative to hdmi-cec

• @Scrollone@feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          English
          23 months ago

DisplayPort supports CEC.

From Wikipedia:

The DisplayPort AUX channel is a half-duplex (bidirectional) data channel used for miscellaneous additional data beyond video and audio, such as EDID (I2C) or CEC commands.

• voxel
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            3 months ago

huh didn’t know. does it work in practice tho?

• @LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      213 months ago

Is there a reason or way to prevent display port from having so many connection issues specifically on port replicators (docking stations)?

In corporate environments I find so many times that you plug them up over and over, unplug over and over and check the connection a million times before turning everything off one final time, holding the power button on everything (kind of like an smc reset) and then booting up everything like you originally did and they come up. Is this a result of the devices trying to remember a previous setup or is their an easy way to avoid it?

I’ve hooked up dozens of them and still ran into issues when a family member brought a setup home to work when they were sick last week.

• @General_Shenanigans@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        93 months ago

We use Dell WD-19 docks. Not sure if you use similar. Updated dock firmware and laptop drivers made a difference for us with connection issues. Sometimes you gotta perform a reset on them to make them behave (disconnect dock power and USB-C and hold power button for just over 15 sec). Sometimes the laptop NVRAM needs to be reset instead (for Dell, disconnect all devices and power while off and hold button for just over 30 sec). Overall, though, no huge issues with DP specifically if the dock and laptop firmwares are up to date. Third-party docks/replicators definitely have way more issues, though.

• Justin
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1483 months ago

This is really frustrating. This is the only thing holding Linux gaming back for me, as someone who games with a AMD GPU and an OLED TV. On Windows 4k120 works fine, but on Linux I can only get 4k60. I’ve been trying to use an adapter, but it crashes a lot.

AMD seemed to be really trying to bring this feature to Linux, too. Really tragic that they were trying to support us, and some anti-open source goons shot them down.

• Sudomeapizza
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

ive found that the issue in my experience is that X11 only supports a max of 4k60, but Wayland supports 4k120 and beyond. I dont think the cable matters as the same cable im using works on windows with 4k160.

• Justin
        link
        fedilink
        English
        53 months ago

It’s a matter of cable bandwidth. 4k120 4:4:4 requires more bandwidth than hdmi 2.0 can provide. You can drop down to 4:2:0, but that’s a pretty bad experience and ruins the image quality.

I’ve been using an adapter cable, but it’s really flaky, I don’t know if it’s a bad cable or what. But a normal hdmi cable just plain works on Windows, since the windows amd driver supports hdmi 2.1.

• Sudomeapizza
          link
          fedilink
          English
          13 months ago

yes, that is a valid factor. i meant more towards the type of cable doesn’t mater. but yes an up to date spec of the cable is also just as important

• Justin
            link
            fedilink
            English
            23 months ago

Freesync works for me with that cable, but I have some awful cable training problem or something. Everytime the screen is reset, it refuses to go above 4k60 or turn on freesync, and it’ll only work again after I have the screen connected for a few minutes. So whenever I start my comouter, have to switch down 4k60 and wait like half an hour to be able to use high refresh rate. It’s been doing this for months.

I don’t know if I have a bad cable, weird interference, or if FRL adapters are just flaky.

• @ichbinjasokreativ@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      83 months ago

I’m a bit confused by your comment. I have a 120Hz Monitor and use an AMD GPU on linux without issues. Connected via the display port on my GPU to the HDMI Port on my monitor (because samsung does not enable DDC on the display port for some reason).

• Justin
        link
        fedilink
        English
        53 months ago

I’m using an LG C2 Oled TV that doesnt have displayport.

• Cosmic Cleric
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          3 months ago

I’m using an LG C2 Oled TV that doesnt have displayport.

Connected via the display port on my GPU to the HDMI Port on my monitor

ichbinjasokreativ seems to suggest that the viewing device he/she connects to is done via HDMI, the same as your OLED TV.

Unless I’m missing something?

Edit: You discuss this issue further down in the topic, so no need to reply.

Could have saved myself the time of replying to you if I had scrolled all the way through first, then backtracked, but that’s kind of unintuitive to do, especially on a cell phone browser.

• Justin
            link
            fedilink
            English
            13 months ago

No worries, I didn’t see they meant an adapter cable, either.

• 🐍🩶🐢
          link
          fedilink
          English
          13 months ago

I have one too. Go take a look at Cable Matters. I am able to play games at 4k120 with my mac. See if something will work for you and you can always send a message to their customer support to ask questions.

• Justin
            link
            fedilink
            English
            23 months ago

Yeah thats the one I have. Maybe I’ll ask their support. It has the latest firmware but it’s so flaky about being able to do high bandwidth.

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

So why is it rejected?

Just because they’re still trying to use HDMI to prevent piracy? Who in fuck’s name is using HDMI capture for piracy? On a 24fps movie, that’s 237MB of data to process every second just for the video. A 2 hour movie would be 1.6TB. Plus the audio would likely be over 2TB.

I’ve got a Jellyfin server packed with 4K Blu-ray rips that suggest there are easier ways to get at that data.

• @buddascrayon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      443 months ago

The CEO’s of the media companies are all fucking dinosaurs who still think VCRs should have been made illegal. You will never convince them that built in copy protection is a dumb idea and a waste of time.

• Kairos
      link
      fedilink
      English
      83 months ago

HDMI Splitter + capture card.

No video put on a streaming service produced in the next 40 years will need HDMI 2.1 to display.

• @sarmale@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      83 months ago

Can’t you compress what the HDMI outputs in real time so that it would have a normal size?

• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        93 months ago

Sure. But why bother when you can rip it right from the disc in higher quality than you could ever hope to capture in real time?

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          3 months ago

All I can think of would be capturing a live broadcast of something airing on TV, and only on TV. Which… Has to be pretty rare these days. And you still have better methods to capture even that!

• @CCF_100@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      63 months ago

Even despite that HDMI capture is simply an awful way of obtaining that data, it’s even more pathetic when that “protection” can be defeated by a $30 capture card on Amazon…

• @lengau@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      43 months ago

The profiles HDMI 2.1 enables are even worse - 4k@120fps type stuff. Not exactly something needed for a movie.

• @dangblingus@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Most people don’t pirate 4K media due to file size and internet speed constraints. Most people pirate 1080p video. There’s also the prospect of people pirating live television, which HDMI capture would be perfect for.

• JackbyDev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        33 months ago

The raw images are that big, but they’re compressed (even losslessly) to a fraction of the size.

• @Psythik@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        33 months ago

Then most people need get a better ISP. My crappy $60/mo fixed 5G can download an entire 4K film in under 10 minutes or start streaming it within a second. Y’all should see if there are any options beyond cable and DSL in your town. You might be pleasantly surprised what’s available these days.

• @nymwit@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Is that not a compressed stream though? Genuinely asking. A 4k blu ray rip and a 4k stream from a service (or whatever it saves for offline viewing on an app) a pretty different. I think things are getting conflated with capturing live 4k television and capturing a 4k blu ray as it plays, which both might be using an HDMI cable.

• @Psythik@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            3 months ago

I use Stremio and only stream full 4K Blu Ray rips, with HDR and Dolby Atmos and all. So nothing is recompressed. 50-70GB files but it starts streaming almost instantly.

I have a poor 5G signal due to a tree that’s blocking my view of the antenna, so I get anywhere between 400Mbps and 1400Mbps (I’m supposed to get a gigabit but it’s usually closer to 500). Even with a poor signal it’s still way faster than any other ISP in my town.

• @turmacar@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          33 months ago

Recently become a fan of kickasstorrents, they usually have a x265 version with a bunch of blu-ray extras and Prowlarr already knows who they are.

• @Scrollone@feddit.it
          link
          fedilink
          English
          13 months ago

Is therarbg safe? The original rarbg closed one or two years ago.

Also, don’t forget torrent private trackers. They’re harder to get in (signups are usually closed, or you need an invite from someone who’s already in), but they’re very good!

Lots of hight quality content, well organized, usually with many seeds.

Of course you need to follow their rules and seed enough.

Usenet is also a surprisingly good way to find content, but you’ll need to pay both an indexer and a server.

• @PeterPoopshit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

You can pirate media that uses that new blu ray drm by plugging a capture card into the overpriced compatible DVD player and recording the video. Also, it’s a way to transfer saved content from a dvr as their hard drives are always encrypted (do those still exist). The video stream on all this stuff is encrypted with hdcp to prevent this but there exist hdcp strippers. It seems to still be possible to buy them even on Amazon. Stock up before they get banned. Frankly I’m surprised they aren’t banned already.

• @nivenkos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    653 months ago

This sucks as all new TVs use HDMI2.1 for modern features and modern games consoles rely on those for 4k 60Hz HDR, etc.

So now Valve can’t just make their own home console with Steam OS for TVs directly (and support high-end features at least).

• Justin
      link
      fedilink
      English
      33 months ago

I believe this is specifically for FRL. Other features should still work afaik.

• @Godort@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    493 months ago

What’s the over/under that this was about preventing people getting around HDCP using a modified driver?

• Cosmic Cleric
    link
    fedilink
    English
    363 months ago

No disrespect meant towards GamingOnLinux, but this article from Tom’s Hardware has a much better description of what’s going on, including quotes.

• AutoTL;DRB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    323 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

If you were hoping at some point to see HDMI 2.1+ on Linux with AMD + Mesa, you’re out of luck right now as it’s simply not going to be happening.

There’s been a bug report on the Mesa GitLab of “4k@120hz unavailable via HDMI 2.1” that’s been open for a few years now, with lots of comments and chatter about the issue.

In an update on the bug report, AMD engineer Alex Deucher commented: "The HDMI Forum has rejected our proposal unfortunately.

So if you’re on Linux, it’s going to continue to be best to buy hardware that uses DisplayPort.

On the NVIDIA side though, it seems like it may not be an issue, as developer Karol Herbst wrote on Mastodon: "Even though AMD might not be able to add support for HDMI 2.1, nouveau certainly will as Nvidia’s open source driver also supports HDMI 2.1 so there is no reason to believe that at least some drivers can’t support HDMI 2.1

It’s quite backwards, but apparently having all the logic inside firmware (like Nvidia does) will probably help us implementing support for HDMI 2.1"

The original article contains 244 words, the summary contains 183 words. Saved 25%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• @thedirtyknapkin@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      833 months ago

Piracy being easier is the only risk. Once again ruining the experience of legitimate customers to try and stop a thing that they have had no success at even slowing down.

• @Acters@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        263 months ago

Even further, it made it more expensive to buy products from all the dumb licensing fees that all the middlemen try to shoehorn in.

• @smileyheadOP
      link
      English
      53 months ago

Having to use systems that swing to more closed solutions is going to degrade security in more places.

• sebinspace
      link
      fedilink
      English
      13 months ago

First thing I could think of is taking advantage of the ARC to spy on you.

• NoLifeGaming
    link
    fedilink
    English
    193 months ago

Always thought that display port is better anyways lol. Anything that HDMI does or have that display port doesnt?

• MeanEYE
        link
        fedilink
        English
        173 months ago

Naah, DisplayPort carries everything from audio, USB, displays, etc. Version 1.2 even allows daisy chaining displays, so you don’t have to have number of cables going to your PC. When it comes to audio, version 1.4 supports 1536 kHz maximum sample rate at 24bits and supports 32 individual audio channels. Scary good! Overall it’s significantly better protocol.

• @smileyheadOP
      link
      English
      33 months ago

I guess HDMI-CEC and some DRM.

• @kevincox@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        63 months ago

DisplayPort supports CEC and HDCP DRM.

I have yet to see a reason why HDMI is better than DP other than what port is available on your device.