• WhyEssEff [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Moralists don’t really have beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child’s toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded. Centrism isn’t change - not even incremental change. It is control. Over yourself and the world. Exercise it. Look up at the sky, at the dark shapes of Coalition airships hanging there. Ask yourself: is there something sinister in moralism? And then answer: no. God is in his heaven. Everything is normal on Earth.

• WhyEssEff [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

pannekoek-point whenever I hear about Destiny I must tap the sign.

Truly the most “I support the status quo” existence imaginable. There is one single belief this weasel has: all that is is how it ought to be. That is the root of all his positions. All else he arrives at is motivated reasoning stemming from this sacrosanct axiom. His entire ideology is a reflexive defense of the state of the world as it is and a rabid disgust towards any form of systemic upheaval. An unserious simple-minded individual who has convinced himself that he is worth hearing from.

• crispy_lol [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I think Destiny has that Elon Musk trait where he compulsively posts memes to be validated by his own fans, he doesn’t even consider the meaning of these memes, it’s just an ego trip.

• M68040 [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

The fact that Alex Jones was even willing to speak to him means he’s not a threat to anything of note. (See also: The Krassenstein brothers)

Also, anyone who’d willingly speak to Alex Jones is a dumbass

• Rom [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

People like him don’t seem to realize that the fact that people are talking about it means it was an effective protest. Like obviously he didn’t expect his actions to immediately solve the problem, dipshit, the purpose was to increase the pressure on the establishment to stop supporting a genocidal regime.

• zifnab25 [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

People like him don’t seem to realize that the fact that people are talking about it means it was an effective protest.

It might be, but there’s some question of what impact popular disapproval carries in a decayed democracy.

He lit himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy. The Houthis lit a few merchant ships passing through the Gulf of Adan on fire. Who has done more for the Palestinian people?

Like obviously he didn’t expect his actions to immediately solve the problem, dipshit, the purpose was to increase the pressure on the establishment to stop supporting a genocidal regime.

That’s definitely the intent. I don’t know if it will be the result. I have a sneaking suspicion that guys like Biden and Blinken will simply whine about being unfairly maligned by the Illegal Dressed Mental Health Lone Wolf, while insisting everyone who doesn’t endorse them during the election season is responsible for the bombs Trump drops in his stead.

Self-sacrifice turned Aaron into a brilliant symbol of non-violent protest in a world where cops shoot non-violent protesters.

• Rom [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It might be, but there’s some question of what impact popular disapproval carries in a decayed democracy.

Nothing will change until the unjust government is overthrown, and any actions that lay bare the atrocities committed by the government will help move the needle in the direction of popular disapproval, even by just a little bit.

He lit himself on fire in front of the Israeli Embassy. The Houthis lit a few merchant ships passing through the Gulf of Adan on fire. Who has done more for the Palestinian people?

What else could he have done? Maybe his self-immolation wasn’t the most effective possible action he could have taken, given his position in the military, but it’s not like he had the opportunity to set fire to any ships himself. Sabotage a couple of servers? They would have just locked him in a cell and had them back up and running within a day. Yes, he didn’t exactly provide material support to the Palestinian people, but I don’t think that makes his protest useless.

I’m sure the Biden regime will try to spin this in their favor, but there’s no question that his unwavering support for genocide is hurting his reelection chances. And maybe the fact that Trump is also rabidly pro-Israel will start waking people up to the idea that this problem can’t be fixed through electoralism. Regardless, the system is collapsing, and to that I say amerikkka isntrael

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Personally think he could have leaked classified material as a form of protest and it would have been far more terrifying to those in charge. Imagine a massive info dump of shit as an anti-genocide protest and the potential copycats that might also do it.

• JohnBrownNote [comrade/them, des/pair]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

deeper-sadness reading about history, it’s kinda hard for me to see how americans protesting the war in viet nam was materially effective in ending it.

• Pastaguini [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’ll probably get dunked on for saying this but I feel like “gusano” is kind of a racist term. It’s an insult only used against people of a specific descent and I usually see white people use it against people of color of Cuban descent, but never against white people with the exact same viewpoints who are white. It strikes me as racist but accepted because it’s used against shitty people with shitty views.

• Frogmanfromlake [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I mean most of the Cubans getting called that are white themselves, including Destiny. Are you referring to brown American Cubans getting called that as well? Gusano has been stretched since its original usage to describe any foreign national that immigrates to the US and spews right-wing garbage against their countries. I’ve seen it used to describe Chinese liberals and Russian liberals.

It would be pointless to use against a fourth generation German-American who is too far removed from Germany to be a gusano. But it could absolutely be used for a German man living in the US and talking about how it’s good the US de-industrialized his country.

• combat_brandonism [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

isn’t destiny the exact whitey with Cuban ancestors you’re claiming doesn’t get the pejorative used against them?

same energy as that taiwanese lemmitor who said ‘comprador’ is a slur

• TrudeauCastroson [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

It’s weird that if you’re from a Spanish speaking country in the Americas, you’re immediately not white in the USA.

There are white people from Cuba, it was the owning class who left. Which is why beaches were segregated before Fidel.

Fidel used Gusano in a specific context, it’s not a viewpoint thing, more of a discrediting of the “my family was targetted by communists in a civil war” (for owning 100 acres and a plantation)

The only equivalent for Euros I can think of is when people of German heritage can’t account for their family history between the late 1930s to 1945. The Bolsheviks took power too long ago for it to be used for eastern europeans, grandparents who fleed did it in different circumstances, and I guess Kulak is the closest equivalent there.

But Kulak ownership structure was different, it was more self employment which is why a lot of peasant political parties were liberals in the face of monarchy, instead of being revolutionaries.

Gusano meaning bourgeois landlords who left due to communist revolution hasn’t been done more recently so there’s no one else to apply the term to really. Maybe white South Africans? Except they still own a lot of that country, and the colonization worked differently.

• zifnab25 [he/him, any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I usually see white people use it against people of color of Cuban descent, but never against white people with the exact same viewpoints who are white.

I’ve seen Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Robert Menendez described as gusanos quite a few times.

I do see a trend in Terminally Online Media to have a Token Black Guy give the “I dream of a free and democratic Cuba!” line, and then a dozen other extremely generic accounts scream “Racism!” at anyone who shows disgust. But there is no shortage of pasty faced “Fidel took all my slaves” mfers who earn the label, regularly.