The intimacy ban that had been in place for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics has been lifted for the 2024 Paris Olympics, and the Olympic village, where the athletes stay during the event, will be stocked with 300,000 condoms, Laurent Michaud, director of the village, told Sky News.

In an interview about the upcoming games, which will be held in the French capital from July 26 to Aug. 11, Michaud said they are preparing for 14,250 residents at the village and are aiming to have 300,000 condoms for the athletes.

Rules on intimacy went into effect for the 2020 Olympics that were held in Tokyo, Japan in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. To help prevent the virus from spreading, athletes were asked to limit their physical contact with each other, keeping about six and a half feet between them, except when necessary, like on the field.

Providing condoms at the Olympics has been a tradition since the 1988 Seoul Olympics, as an effort to raise awareness for HIV and AIDS, according to CBS Sports. In Tokyo, officials still handed out 150,000 condoms – even though the intimacy rules prevented any scenarios to use them.

• scoobford@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

I imagine they’re expecting some athletes to bring their own, free condoms tend to suck.

I also imagine some people will go without by choice.

• PrettyFlyForAFatGuy@feddit.uk
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

you used to be able to get proper branded Durex condoms for free in health centres in the UK with flavoured and ribbed varieties if you were under 18.

Then the boomers complained and they changed it so you could only get the “extra safe” ones which made it so you could barely feel anything.

So naturally me and my gf at the time stopped using them entirely.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          Español
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

free condoms tend to suck

They are literally made in the exact same factory with the exact same material. The only difference is marketing and some custom molds for like, ribbed, ultra thin, etc. Almost all brands in the world share the same dozen or so factories.

• scoobford@lemmy.zip
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Usually the lube isn’t very good and they’re the extra thicc kind that feel like fucking a milk carton.

I’m sure they’re just as safe as the kind you buy at the store.

• kautau@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

“Only for Olympians!” sounds like a challenge of my stamina. Challenge accepted, condoms from 2012

• ivanafterall@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Unrelated question: what’s the easiest sport in which to become an Olympian between now and the 2024 Paris Olympics?

• ours@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

What you want is a sport that’s obscure in your country. Don’t need to compete if nobody else is applying to represent your country for it at the Olympics. Or so I’ve learned from Cool Runnings and Eddie the Eagle.

• SeaJ@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

They changed that rule a while ago. You have to at least qualify in an internationally recognized competition.

• Dagnet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I remember how, 20 years ago, I read that just knowing how to snowboard at the age of 14 was enough to be a very promising candidate for the winter Olympics in my country. I live in Brazil

• catloaf@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

I recall a story just a few years ago about a teenage girl being the only one in her division, so she did a few basic snowboard tricks and went home with first place. I can’t find any articles about it now, unfortunately. I can’t remember if it was the Olympics or some other competition.

• misterundercoat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

So let me get this straight. You’re not having any luck competing with regular schlubs in the real world, so you want to fake your way into a situation where you compete with a group of fitter and more attractive people?

• sexual_tomato@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

A friend of mine shot skeet in the Olympics one year. His gun cost about $12k. He reloaded his own rounds and went through about 250-1000 rounds a day before training, roughly tripling that leading up to the event.

The gun was so expensive because the brand would take your old one on trade every year (for a relatively small fee) for a new one. The program was for people just like him.

• Hadriscus@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Come on, I think you know there’s more to it than that. One also needs to make sure there’s a body of water beneath, which involves observational skills.

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

This story is regularly run in the UK. The easiest is cycling, with some Olympians managing to go from zero to world-class within four years.

Obviously, it’s not that easy, but if your dream is to run your way through the Olympic village, you’ll find a way.

• philipp_
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

That is just plain wrong. People that switch over to cycling and are successful within a few years are athletes from other disciplines. You can not build up the necessary cardio to be an olympic level cyclist in just a few years.

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Well, Chris Hoy, one of GB’s most decorated cyclists, switched to track cycling and was considered a medal hopeful within four years. That’s why I mentioned cycling.

Besides…I’m not a olympic cyclist. It probably isn’t true, since it was written by a journalist and not a cyclist, but that’s what the UK rags always say.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Once your event is over you’re just left hanging out with a bunch of young, fit people with nothing else to do who you won’t see for four years. Frankly I’m amazed they don’t have sex rooms for the athletes at the Olympics just to make it easier to clean.

• Lath@kbin.earth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Yes. It was started by the Nazis at their Olympics, when they sought to breed out some supersoldiers. All the major powers agreed and it has been an unofficial rule ever since.

Edit: Ok, actually I’m lying. It was started by the Greco-Roman Olympics, when they sought to breed out some demigods. All the major powers agreed and so Asterix and Obelix were born.

• OhmsLawn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I’m thinking about the tier list.

“Sprinter? No lol. No thanks.”

I’d have to guess there are socioeconomic groupings as well. The rowers probably have the upper hand there, along with anything involving firearms or horses.

• nonailsleft@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Nope. From what I’ve read even olympic athletes consider anyone good enough for the olympics as ‘top tier’. And it only lasts a few weeks

• OhmsLawn@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Honestly, it was a guess, based less on US socioeconomics, and more globally. In a lot of countries, shooting involves a lot of red tape that’s easier to wade through with a boatload of money.

• RGB3x3@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Oh… I misread your comment and thought you were ranking them based on sexual performance based on their sport.

Like, rowers have great thighs and arms, so they’re strong. Horse riders know how to… Ride. But you wouldn’t want sprinters because their goal is to finish the quickest.

But then I was wondering what would make a shooter so good in bed.

Anyway, the way I read your comment gave me a good chuckle. “The Olympian Sexual Performance Tier List.”

• OhmsLawn@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

Got it.

The idea was a sexual attractiveness tier list, and money plays a role there.

• ivanafterall@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

Nah, dude, dude, think about it: she’s in the middle of Paris at the Olympic Games with some dude she barely knows. You know, she looks around and what does she see? A guy with a gun and 300,000 condoms. “Ahh, there’s nowhere for me to run. What am I gonna do, say ‘no?’”

• MyNamesNotRobert@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

How do they even enforce a sex ban in the first place? Do they have drug test equivalents for sexual activity now? I hope it never gets to a point where most employers are firing people for having too much sex while off duty.

• Belgdore@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Presumably they were quarantining the participants between matches because of COVID. There is a difference between making sure the world’s best athletes don’t contract a disease that affects their respiratory functions and work places preventing sex.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        Español
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

It’s on the article, on the summary, on the post text. But you can count on people on the internet to NOT ever read what’s directly in front of them before making or upvoting a dumb comment.

• A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

considering how many condoms the athletes villages uses with sex bans in place, I doubt this is gonna do much to make a difference, lol.

• dustyData@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      Español
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

This ban was in place for one Olympic game, due to covid only. Olympic organizers have distributed condoms since Seoul '88. And they were always free to have as much sex as they wanted ever since the inception of the modern games.

• DudeImMacGyver@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

There was an intimacy ban?

Did anyone tell the athletes?

From what I heard there’s quite a lot of intimacy that was already a well established tradition at the Olympic villages.

• BestBouclettes@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Young athletes in their prime under extreme tension and stress. Yep nothing to see here, absolutely no sex will happen.

• FireRetardant@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Especially when you consider that atheletes tend to be unattractive, have poor body shapes, no confidence. Definitely no sex going on.

• PoopingCough@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Not to mention most of them are used to consuming way more calories then the average human and doing intense workouts that they then stop doing during s competition. That energy needs to release somehow.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

It took France this long to realize that people fuck a lot?

Do you people downvoting me not realize that France is like Fuck Central?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

The issue was not COVID. They may have claimed it was COVID, but that’s ridiculous. People were going to fuck their brains out regardless because A) it’s the Olympics and that’s what always happens and B) it’s in Paris. Condoms should have been distributed in Tokyo too.

• kfoo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Condoms WERE distributed in Tokyo. It’s in that article you said you read.