(via https://hachyderm.io/@jbcrawford/112202942593125987, archive: https://archive.is/VnqRZ)

surprise, Amazon’s godawful surveillance grocery stores were just exploiting hidden labor and calling it innovation, and even that was too expensive

even worse, the few times I’ve seen one of these fucking things in the wild, it still had 1-2 employees hovering near the entrance to make sure nobody did the utterly obvious (fuck with the payment system and get free shit), a job that’s also known as a fucking cashier, but with much worse pay, much harder labor (physically stopping shoplifters), and no counter to lean on or opportunity to even sit down

• lettruthout@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

“Though it seemed completely automated, Just Walk Out relied on more than 1,000 people in India watching and labeling videos to ensure accurate checkouts. The cashiers were simply moved off-site, and they watched you as you shopped.”

• self@awful.systemsOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

the secret sauce is always hiding labor exploitation behind a thick layer of bad ideas

• froztbyte@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

“hey babe… what if we fucked the entire cashier class… in two countries?? 🥹👉👈”

- bezos, probably

• self@awful.systemsOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I have really got to patch lemmy’s inability to pull in images from mastodon:

• self@awful.systemsOP
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

and the Lemmy devs generally insist on only implementing what is specified by activitypub, leading to some truly low-hanging fruit being absent. and besides that approach to federated software being fucking nonsense, it’s also something they’re very inconsistent on — they’ll use “we don’t implement mastodon-specific interoperability features” as an excuse to not fulfill feature requests, then use mastodon-specific interoperability features to implement their own pet features. it’s just pure toxic developer double standards

• Hello_there@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Lol. This is some.wizard in oz don’t look behind the curtain level of shenanigans. I remember the news articles when it released all said it was automation.

• jonne@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Pretty much every startup operates like that, they hope to figure out the AI stuff later on and basically never do.

• Optional@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

It’d be swell if someone could go ahead and make an equal alternative to amazon. Y’know, doesn’t have to be perfect, just - y’know better people and such.

• alekwithak@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Better people wouldn’t be able to compete with the cutthroat business practices that put Amazon on top in the first place.

• Hubi@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

There are various European and Asian online stores competing with Amazon on national levels. Very few of them are relevant on a global scale though.

• NaoPb@eviltoast.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Well we could always try buying locally again. Not that that’s ideal or cheaper all the time. But it helps local business owners instead of stockholders.

• Cyrus Draegur@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

the only “self-check-out” system I have ever liked is:

1. I have the store app on my phone.
    2. I scan the items with my phone app as I grab them off the shelves.
    3. I then tell the app, “ok, i’m ready to pay for these”
    4. it runs the charge digitally.

no waiting in a queue,
    no ‘place the item back in the bagging area’,
    no stuffing bills into slots,
    no ‘follow the instructions on the pin pad’.
    I’m already done!

• David Gerard@awful.systems
      cake
      M
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Self-checkouts in the UK have a vital use case much in demand from the populace: they save the British from ever having to talk to another person. Probably for the best for everyone really.

• EnderMB@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Is this accurate? Amazon only recently opened some in London.

If so, it looks like even more layoffs at Amazon. For the third year running, multiple arms of the business have been running rolling layoffs, where every 6-12 months jobs will go…all while they continue to hire more people, without a mechanism to move laid-off folks into available roles.

• odelik@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

You get 30 days of continued pay with an assigned internal recruiter to help you do an internal job search.

But honestly, who the fuck wants to get the, “you’re being laid off.” and still want to work for the company when there’s a giant severance check waiting for you to get out of that toxic hell-pit?

• YourNetworkIsHaunted@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Everyone I know who works for/has worked for Amazon treated it like a deal with the devil. The money was good but they will push you into the ground for as long as you can take it. And then a bit longer.

• Pistcow@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I never had an issue with the one near me. Saw maybe 5 staff in the building. Is a bit more expensive than a traditional grocery store.

Honestly, grocery stores have turned to ass due to the fact they’re taking out the automated checker while only having 1-2 live cashier. Fuck ifi want to spend 20-30 minutes waiting in a line.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

congratulations on most comprehensively missing the point. some people have to work at it, but you look to be a natural!

• Pistcow@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Yes. Lines going from the front check out to the back milk fridges. Some real bullshit.

• Potatos_are_not_friends@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I weirdly liked the times I’ve visited in Seattle.

It didn’t seem more expensive to me. It costs as much as a Bartell Drugs or Walgreens. My main issue was the limited product. It was only a handful of things I liked, and I didn’t ever find a reason to go beyond the novelty.

• Amoeba_Girl@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Honestly, beyond the awful labour practices, I just can’t imagine skipping checkout without feeling I’m being scammed.