• MayoPete [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

It really is these people forcing their view of “normal” on everyone else. Everyone has to dress a certain way, act a certain way, and hold the same viewpoints or else it is “wrong”. They are the kind of people who can’t handle people with green hair color or punk outfits or literally anything that doesn’t look like you are going to the business factory or church.

“Freedom” my ass

• dead [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

South Carolina has the lowest union membership percentage out of any state. Only 3% of workers in South Carolina are in a labor union.

Nikki Haley was the Governor of South Carolina from 2011 to 2017.

Lesser known fact about South Carolina. In South Carolina and North Carolina, 16 year old and 17 year old students drove the school bus routes until 1988 because the states didn’t want to hire bus drivers and they payed the students less than minimum wage. Gen X children drove their own school busses. In West Columbia South Carolina, January 1988, a 17 year old bus driver ran over and killed a 4 year old student. The federal government ordered them to stop using children to drive the buses.

https://www.nytimes.com/1988/02/28/us/us-ends-exemption-for-young-school-bus-drivers.html

• charlie [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Boeing intentionally maneuvered to open a plant in South Carolina to gut Union support. That plant there is not unionized, unlike every other production facility. At great effort and expense.

One ridiculous thing, they don’t have QA for paint in South Carolina because the QA in Renton refused to train a non-union QA dept. So there is no QA for paint in South Carolina. Instead, they mix the paint there, then ship it 3,000 miles to Renton, WA where it gets “QA checked” (check recent news for their QA standards) then it gets shipped 3,000 miles back. All to for Union busting.

• regul [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Just asked my mom (who graduated from highschool in rural SC in the late 70s) who drove her bus. She told me she didn’t ride the bus (I think my uncle drove her) and didn’t know about the student drivers.

Pretty wild to read about, though, because clearly it was happening.

• Greenleaf [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

This further supports my thought that Minnesota is probably among the better states in the US to live in right now (other places that are similarly not as reactionary are more expensive).

• Adkml [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Great Lakes region and northeast are already the best place in the country by a wide margin and that margin is going to keep expanding as the rest of the country sinks into the ocean or completely runs out of fresh water. (Or sinks into the fresh water in the case of California next time there’s a major flood in the central valley)

• Poison_Ivy [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

(Or sinks into the fresh water in the case of California next time there’s a major flood in the central valley)

Thats just Lake Tulare making it known that she is not deceased just sleeping

• junebug2 [comrade/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

a few days ago the state water board put the area on probation (stop pumping groundwater), which could mean they actually build state flood management stuff there. the tulare lake basin is currently exempt from state regulations, and so the locals/ ranchers have built no appropriate infrastructure and pump as much as they want. water is something california takes pretty seriously, so they might actually do something to reform the water system in the central valley

• HexBroke [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Or sinks into the fresh water in the case of California next time there’s a major flood in the central valley

There’s a lot of articles about how climate resilience the Great Lakes region is, but they’re mostly trash.

The precipitation that comes in the form of snow will increasingly be coming as rain, massively increasing floods.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

That’s not an issue that’s unique to the great lakes region and if anything all the interconnected water bodies and especially the wetlands make the area better suited than anywhere else in the country. Also I’ll take “too much water” over “no water” 10 times put of 10.

Same with a map of days over 100 degrees, seems pretty bad that they have that many days untill you check how many basically anywhere else is forecast to have.

Although I know some of the Midwest bordering great lake states have a harder time with high Temps in the summer than more coastal climates in the northeast.

• Beaver [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yes, although Minnesota only has a slim DFL majority in their state government, that serves at the pleasure of suburban liberals who haven’t yet been scratched.

• FnordPrefect [comrade/them, he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Yelled at for not wearing a mask, and because abortion remains legal

Oh, you poor thing! How did you make it through such adversity? jagoff

“A conservative bubble melting pot,” Mr. Johnson said.

The word you’re looking for is ‘Crucible’

• invalidusernamelol [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Greenville and the surrounding area up to Asheville is like a hot pocket. Small areas of the most violent, cruel chuds, then everyone else who’s usually pretty cool.

The chuds never come into the towns unless it’s to harass the locals. They almost entirely stay in their suburbs or in the grocery parking lots.

• invalidusernamelol [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Sometimes it can be fun, I used to go to the car show at a Sonic near downtown Asheville when I was in highschool and everyone would just try and race cops.

But these guys mostly just sit in their trucks or drive through town rolling coal on the locals

• drhead [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

At least in my experiences it hasn’t been that bad here compared to other places? We’re not passing Project 2025 shit at the same rate that Texas or Florida are, for instance, probably partially because there’s no concern at all that we will become a swing state any time soon and therefore not nearly as much urgency to do things to try to drive people who would likely vote for Dems out of the state.

• barrbaric [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Not even an opinion piece, just a full article in the NYT about christofascists moving to christofascist states. Doesn’t call for the federal government to bomb them. Why publish this?

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

MORE republicans are moving to south Carolina.

We went there on vacation once when I was little like 20 years ago and nobody in my family had any interest of ever going back.

You not only get the homegrown chuds you get every northern dipshit that went on vacation and couldn’t quiet get to Florida.

• south carolina is in the same tier as texas, of places i will go days out of my way to avoid even passing through. it makes georgia look like vermont. for the record, i’ve been there more times than i care to remember. it’s so fucking hot sometimes. all the northern chuds should move to a compound there and get walled in.

but anyway, more earnestly, as a native son of the south, there was an episode of Who Makes Cents not long ago that made a lot of things click for me about the American South in the 21st century. it also provides a material context to these shallow stories of people in other parts of the US relocating in significant numbers to the american south that confound liberals and require the sort of trash tier framing found in this eye roll of an article about an idiot finding her village.

if you haven’t listened to Who Makes Cents: A History of Capitalism Podcast before, while engaging, it is not an entertainment product. it doesn’t have ads/ad reads and consists of a structured, polished interview of a recently published and lauded subject matter expert allowing them to do a deep dive into their area of study. many/most of the guests are phoning in, so sometimes the sound quality needs help / boosted volume, BUT it creates a very informative 45m-1hr long episode where the interviewee gives powerful context for some counter-intuitive or obscure phenomenon that reveals the structural forces at work and connects them to the bigger picture. it’s also generally delivered in very plain language, so no need to be a theoretical head. i got into it before i was really even a leftist, though it is pretty obviously marxian now that i know what to look for.

from the episode description

An iced cold Coca-Cola. A cross-country flight on Delta to visit friends. A much-needed medication overnighted via Fed-Ex. Bulk toilet paper purchased at Wal-Mart. What do these items have in common? In today’s modern economy, each of these can be purchased from the comfort of the couch, frequently with a credit card pioneered by Bank of America. They are all also from companies headquartered in the American South.

Most Americans, when they think about the companies that have given rise to our modern-day economy, their thoughts frequently drift to places like New York, San Francisco, Seattle, all major cities that frequently draw recent college graduates eager to land a job in the high-paying tech and finance sectors. Yet, some the biggest companies responsible for our have-it-now, fly-by-the night, buy-on-credit, modern economy originated not in the urban North and Northwest, but through servicing the rural American South. Many of these same companies are some of the biggest contributors to climate change. Drawing on exclusive interviews with company executives, corporate archives, and other records, he explains how businesses from the American South helped make it possible for us to satisfy our desires from the convenience of our home and/or hometown, no matter how remote, while also revealing the environmental costs associated with each.

Bart Elmore is a Professor of History at The Ohio State University. His latest book, out now with UNC Press, is Country Capitalism: How Corporations from the American South Remade Our Economy and the Planet. His first book, Citizen Coke: The Making of Coca-Cola Capitalism (W.W. Norton, 2015) won the Axiom Business Book Award for best business commentary and the Council of Graduate Schools 2016 Gustave O. Arlt Award in the Humanities. His second book, Seed Money: Monsanto’s Past and Our Food Future (W.W. Norton, 2021), won the 2020 J. Anthony Lukas Work-in-Progress Award and the 2022 IACP Food Issues and Matters Award, and was a finalist for both the American Society for Environmental History’s George Perkins Marsh Prize and the 2022 Hagley Prize in Business History sponsored by the Business History Conference and the Hagley Museum. He is a recipient of the Dan David Award.

• SkingradGuard [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

How the hell does “it” (which isn’t even a “thing” anyway, it’s just scaremongering) supposedly “infiltrate all aspects of education, and public life”

Conservatives are the most idiotic, evil people around.