She was mostly looking for validation, since the guys in the group thought that hashing the passwords on an online banking application is waste of time, and the best way to handle login is to send the whole user database to the front-end so you can match the unhashed password to the correct account

Colleges should lower their limits for stabbing

• Llituro [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

send the whole user database to the front-end so you can match the unhashed password to the correct account

anyone this dumb will probably also leave themselves as the bagholder when they inevitably fuck up security on prod somewhere.

• mayo_cider [he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Luckily they won’t get hired for anything serious (or non-serious)

IT studies are unfortunately full of people who took “learn to code” to heart the worst way possible

They go through their studies learning only the surface level shit, because they are interested in the salary, not the work

In the end they end up with neither and a degree they can’t utilize

• TheDoctor [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Men would literally rather

function isLoggedIn(password) {
        const users = await db.users.findMany()
        for (const user of users) {
            if (user.password === password) return true
        }
        return false
    }

than go to therapy

• mayo_cider [he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I tutored her last week on some stuff that her group members criticized, I couldn’t find anything egregious from her code and all the “working” code from the guys critizing her was either from QT’s code generators or chatgpt

Today I helped her to revert changes on their repo that broke down because everyone else was using it through browser (downloading the zip or manually copy-pasting from the browser and drag’n’dropping files back in)

One of the guys already nuked all the files on main and copied a random working version over it from last week, this unsurprisingly worsened the situation

The repo was “beyond repair” according to the professionals in the group, but somehow we managed to fix it with couple merge conflicts

Men will rather self-sabotage a group project and their grade than be carried by a woman

• aaaaaaadjsf [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Today I helped her to revert changes on their repo that broke down because everyone else was using it through browser (downloading the zip or manually copy-pasting from the browser and drag’n’dropping files back in

Wtf. Are they first year students or something?

• Parzivus [any]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I’m not even a programmer but I’ve used GitHub for collaborative projects and this shit wouldn’t even occur to me. Incredible things are happening in CS majors

• ChaosMaterialist [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

match the unhashed password to the correct account

I want to see how they’re managing sessions lmao. Like can I just send ‘true’ back from the front-end function to access any account?

• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

has a flashback to a high school class… something to do with computers

Teacher telling me that I need to stop playing with the Windows screen saver because it can mess up the computer.

• bleepbloopbop [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I was a menace with computers in like, middle school

wallpaper gags, sticky keys, sending out domain-wide messages, rebooting other PCs remotely, other such pranks

Nothing sophisticated just fun with windows xp

• Strayce@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I hope they get hired to do something really important for a major hedge fund or holding company.

• D61 [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Make sure you’re SIL keeps tabs on which companies they go work for…

it uh… might come in handy later.

janet-wink

• bleepbloopbop [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

when it progresses into the realm of “4 guys backing each other up that its totally unnecessary and presumably shutting down the SIL trying to correct them,” and when literally any research or forethought would show that its a horrible idea, then I don’t think it is. It isn’t like “can you believe this person isn’t 1337 like me” it’s “hey can you back me up? otherwise my groupmates are going to tank my grade by being self-deluded arrogant pricks”. It’s the not listening when being told why its a bad idea that sucks, and the sexism aspect, while this is way too 3rd hand to know for sure, is pretty sus from my experience in comp sci circles

• hello_hello [they/them, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Making fun of techbros who entered the field to circlejerk with their treats is always valid.

Most people do CS because they think they will get paid handsome wages just for playing with their computers and the IT industry wants expendable workers so CS is advertised as a get rich quick scheme.

Most if not all CS students vastly overestimate their abilities and chauvinism is rampant in the field.

• farting_weedman [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

A coworker of mine was working on some programming homework and we chatted about it. He was having trouble adding a b-tree sort function to something. I asked a few questions about how python handles that (it’s what they teach now) and explained how we’d do it in c. Made the mistake of asking “what is this for, course number of the second semester class?” No, he’s graduating in the fall.

I flunked out of computer science twenty years ago.