• RadicalEagle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    27 days ago

Personally that’s why I enjoy riding. It requires me to let go of the idea that I have overarching control of my life. Any day could be my last, and if today is my last day I’d like to enjoy it.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      27 days ago

Part of me thinks this is insane, part of me gets it.

Riding my bicycle in the city is my version of it. While it is dangerous and initially I felt too afraid to enjoy it, eventually I came to the attitude that the adrenaline rush and requirement to be so focused is a feeling of being more alive than if I was half zoned out in a car because I could be half zoned out.

I’ve always said I would love a motorcycle if I could feel safe but maybe your perspective here is what I need.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        27 days ago

Agreed that it’s insane. The way I look at it is that there is an inherent amount of danger in any activity. Doesn’t matter how safe or dangerous something is, conscious acceptance of the risk is satisfying.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          27 days ago

I think not experiencing life for the short time it exists is insane. Being that controlled by fear, I think that person’s ironically the biggest threat to their life, laying waste to experiences and opportunities to live it. A sane person wouldn’t do that to themselves.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            27 days ago

There’s a balance though, right? Fear keeps us alive and is good at that. By this argument I could easily talk myself into trying heroin and be miserable then dead in 6 months.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              26 days ago

To put it simply, “To live with as few regrets on the dying day as possible.” Fear helps us survive but also holds us back. It keeps people away from heroin, but also puts them in miserable ruts. Individually it’s different for all, but learning to control fear and not let it control you opens up a world of amazing possibilities and experiences. To have a life worth dying for is an achievement most squander until it’s far too late.

• TrickDacy@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                26 days ago

Yeah I’m just saying it’s not always easy to strike the balance. I’m several times more open to risk than my grandparents were, but I’m willing to bet I’m much more risk averse than you are. I think we are all controlled by “fear” to a large extent because if we weren’t, we wouldn’t last long.

I’ve been thinking about quitting my job for years. But there are so many pluses to it that it’s incredibly hard to go through with it. On the other hand, I’m a slave stuck inside most of my life. I haven’t figured out how to quit my job without blowing up my path to a secure retirement. It’s hard. Life’s hard.

• saltesc@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  26 days ago

Well, that’s easy. Just don’t make your retirement dependent on your current situation. Go explore the world and find better ways and meet good souls. You probably randomly stumbled into your situation through a jobs website or hiring agency. Not exactly a life defining moment when you can do it again any other week but now with a backlog of experience.

There’s a lot of better opportunities out there. And if you don’t like them, you can always come back. But sometimes pulling the plug feels scary because you don’t know what’s going to happen, despite plug pullers always saying it was the best thing they did.

• NoneYa@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      27 days ago

Same here. I tell people that it’s my reminder of my mortality and how fragile life actually is. Treat each day as your last and live as if you won’t be here tomorrow, because it is promised to no one.

• TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        27 days ago

Thirded. And it keeps me disengaged for a while. I need to unplug because of what my job was for two damn decades. Five years ago I would have to pull over for a call or text because I was on call 24/7.

I certainly wouldn’t answer that call if it were my last day on earth. Now I don’t answer it while I’m on the bike.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

I struggle to see how it is suicidal. I define suicide as “trying to kill yourself.” I don’t see how accepting my mortality and not letting the fear of death get in the way of enjoying my life could be classified as suicidal.

• humbletightband@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          26 days ago

You (but probably me) enjoy the thought of having yourself killed. Moreover, you engage in behavior that increases chances of getting into an accident.

I don’t know about you, maybe you have a different shit in your head, just take care

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            26 days ago

I enjoy the thought of living a life worth dying for, but I suppose you could look at it as if I’m killing myself in order to live my life?

Driving a car is also a behavior that increases the chances of getting into an accident, but I don’t think think you’d call everyone who drives a car suicidal. (Or maybe you would, which I think would be totally fair based on your previous point.)

If I was speeding around without a helmet because I hated my life and wanted to die to get away from my responsibilities I think I’d be more likely to call that behavior “suicidal”.

• humbletightband@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              25 days ago

If I was speeding around without a helmet because I hated my life and wanted to die to get away from my responsibilities I think I’d be more likely to call that behavior “suicidal”.

This

• Everythingispenguins@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

Get a new psychiatrist. There is a big difference between self destructive risk taking and the acknowledgment of the inherent mortality of our lives.

• SuperSpruce@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

That’s an interesting take. I enjoy riding due to the full control of my machine and piercing through the wind while zooming through the landscape. And the best part is when there’s some nice curves to corner through. All of these reasons would only be enhanced with less cars on the road.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

Absolutely. There’s a feeling of being more “present” in the world. It’s more stimulating for your senses, which I think is ultimately why your brain rewards you for it with dopamine.

• DudeImMacGyver@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    27 days ago

Motorcycles might be dangerous as fuck (but fun as hell) but this is a good time to mention that for just about all of us driving is, by far, the most dangerous thing we do every day.

Sure would be cool to have protected lanes for !micromobility@lemmy.world though

• Takios
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

If you’re in Germany, a car is the best weapon to get away with murder since car drivers (especially the elderly) usually get only a slap on the wrist if they injure or even kill someone.

• uis@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

I wouldn’t be surprised, if even in america cars kill more people than guns.

• lengau@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

It’s actually pretty similar in the US - roughly 40,000 annual car and gun deaths each. American roads are also less safe than most peer countries.

• uis@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                25 days ago

Normalized over population deaths ratio in Russia seems to be about 0.00010069444, while in USA 0.00012309309, which is about 22% more than in Russia.

Some could say “look, how good living in Russia is”, but we all have to keep in mind that for example in Finland only 210 people died in one year as result of traffic accident, which is 0.00003779697 normalized. This is slightly more than third compared to Russia. In other words normalized death ratio from accidents in Russia is 266% more than in Finland.

• dejected_warp_core@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          26 days ago

No, but it’s actually pretty close.

Cars: 40,990 people The agency estimates that 40,990 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2023, a decrease of about 3.6% as compared to 42,514 fatalities reported to have occurred in 2022. The fourth quarter of 2023 represents the seventh consecutive quarterly decline in fatalities beginning with the second quarter of 2022.Apr 1, 2024

NHTSA Releases 2022 Traffic Deaths, 2023 Early Estimates

Guns: 42,967 people In 2023, 42,967 people died in the United States from gun related injuries. Between 2010 and 2020, gun-related deaths rose by roughly 43%. Every day, on average, at least 327 people are shot across the US, including roughly. 115,552 are shot.Feb 14, 2024

Nearly 43000 died from gun violence in 2023: How to tell the …

• uis@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            26 days ago

Do crashes include running over pedestrians? Majority of deaths are pedestrians. Unless USSA is more backwards than I expected.

• uis@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                26 days ago

And after reading report for 2022 it seems this includes killed pedestriands. And pedestrians get American-reversaled and for some reason appear to die less, which is very wierd.

Maybe pedestrian death only counted if pedestrian dies right there right then, but not later somewhere else? Maybe a lot of deaths were not included for some other reason? Maybe this report only includes deaths on highways, but not on roads in cities? Or maybe America so backwards country, that indeed everyone is in car and die in car?

Reading more…

Edit: fun fact, in rural areas more people die in “light trucks” AKA Stupid Ugly Vehicles that in passenger cars.

EDIT2: this report seems to include at least some roads in “urban area”. Not sure about all.

• EvilEyedPanda@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      27 days ago

Unless I drive away, a close friend can’t even get insurance for her bike anymore, because a hit and run left her with a TBI, and she had to fight the insurance company to cover it.

• Mr_Dr_Oink@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    26 days ago

Funnily enough this is sort of my argument for confident drivers arguing that they are safe when driving at speeds way over the speed limit. Like yeah, you won’t crash in isolation. Like if this was a time trial, then sure, you would be number 1 in the world. But thats not driving. Driving with other people is more like mario kart. You can be the best driver in the in the world but all it takes is one green shell on their phone to not notice you and its all over.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    27 days ago

I’ve been rear-ended while driving three times over the years. Two were minor, one totaled the car. I have to think that all three of those would have been exponentially worse if I was on a motorcycle instead of in a car.

• gamermanh@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      27 days ago

This is why lane splitting and filtering exist and need to be legal. Reduces the amount of rear-ending INTO bikes

• UnPassive@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

Legal where I live and it’s fantastic. Love being first in line at every intersection and not having to worry about getting ran over.

Buuut… there is a fair number of drivers who like to yell at me to not cut in line… had one person drive on the sidewalk and around me onto the crosswalk and said “if you can cut, so can I.” Super scary.

I usually just say, “it’s legal, learn to drive” but the “learn to drive” part makes a certain kind of driver so mad that it’s not worth risking the road rage

• Teppichbrand@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    25 days ago

Nothing triggers me more than motorcyclists. We moved from a big city in Germany to the countryside a couple years ago and I totally underestimated the amount of noise you guys make. On every sunny weekend, fat people in their mid-fifties dressed like sausages rattle along the country roads and wave at each other in a cool manner. Saturdays are annoying, Sundays seriously unbearable. We can’t have a conversation in the garden, even deep in the forest you can hear the engines roar. They hang around on the benches, bus stops and at the petrol station, smoking and talking on their phones. Ambulances once or twice a day, rescue helicopters every other week. One time friends came to visit and greeted me with: “There was a motorcyclist lying on the crossroads”. At the start of the season, two motorcyclists collided on a bend close to my home and both died. Casual! It was pretty quiet while the paramedics failed to save both of the fathers lifes.
    Riding a motorcycle is such an embarrassing, reckless and mean-spirited pastime, it drives me insane. If I sell this house again, it will be because of you. I pray for a ban on driving on Sundays and public holidays and noise controls. Buy a racing bike, seriously!

• KnoLord@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      25 days ago

As someone who does ride, I understand your perspective, but your proposal of banning motorcycles on weekends and public holidays would be only doing one thing: letting the rich fucks ruin your day on a weekday with their bobbed Harleys and tough-guy cosplay, while working-class people, who picked up the hobby, would yearn even more for fascism, because “tHoSe lEfTiEs wAnnA bAn eVeryThiNg”.

But noise control - yes, please. You are on the streets, not on a track.

• BorgDrone@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      25 days ago

Motorcyclists are a major source of donor organs though. Due to the nature of the injuries one is most likely to suffer when in a motorcycle accident they often end up braindead. I’ve heard people who work in a hospital refer to motorcycles as ‘donorcycles’.

• Teppichbrand@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        25 days ago

I really hope so! Unfortunately, being VERY LOUD is important to motorcycle-men and part of their ridiculous sense of community and freedom. That’s why I fear they will be one of the last to switch to electric motors.

• Mighty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    26 days ago

as a motorcycle rider: I know. that’s why i don’t only need to pay attention to everything around me but also account for idiots

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      26 days ago

Back when I rode I just assumed they were actively trying to kill me. Worked pretty well considering I only ever hurt myself.

• Demdaru@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    26 days ago

Bloody hell people here present driving motorcycle or even bicycle as a big survival thingy. Wtf.

Never once feared for my life on bicycle. On the road never heard or saw about motorcycle crashes other than these where the motorcyclist lost control or did something stupid. Hell, people recommend getting motorcycle.

Now, this may be regional thing but in this case, how the hell is, let’s assume, USA so bad with driving if most ya all spend most of your life driving?

• SomeGuy69@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

If everyone is allowed to drive, you also have the incapable ones. The people able to drive properly aren’t important and you don’t notice them, only those that are dangerous. In other countries they are forced to walk or use public transport. This starts with harder to acquire license and ends with infrastructure.

• frezik@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        26 days ago

To add, we lack almost any kind of graduated licensing, both for two and four wheeled vehicles. You can get a motorcycle license (even a learners permit) and go out and buy a literbike built from the factory to go directly on the track. Likewise, you can buy a gigantic truck on a basic license and have no clue how to park it. These facts are both insane.

“Motorcycle” licensing needs to start with a basic set that covers class III e-bikes and scooters/motorcylces up to 300cc or so (appox 40hp, or 3kW), and then you can work your way up.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          26 days ago

I ride the motorcycle daily and I am always trying to encourage new riders. It stupid how may want their dream bike first. Sometimes it is real work to get them to go to a smaller bike first.

On the plus side it is pretty easy to find really nice low mileage bikes because some squid scared the shit out themselves and never got back on it.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            26 days ago

I got my FZ6R that way. I bought it for $3000 with 299 miles on it. Not a typo. Two-nine-nine. Homeboy told me he rode it once. His dad put the remaining miles on it, but apparently much preferred his Harley.

Whatever. Mine now.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              26 days ago

I bet he whisky throttled it and scared shit out of him self. I bet anything that he had it low down in the rev range like a Harley and didn’t get anything. So he just kept applying throttle without regard to what was gonna happen.

• SeekPie@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          26 days ago

Where I live, there are different licences for different powered bikes. Up to 250w and max 25 km/h are classified as e-bikes and don’t need any license, anything over that but under 50cc is a moped and needs a license (that people 14+ can get), then there’s up to 125cc and 11kw (which is 16+), then theres up to 35 kw (18+) and anything over it requires that you have had a driver’s license for at least 2 years and are 24 years old (and take classes and pass a test).

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        26 days ago

i don’t think this will solve anything. where i live licenses are stupid hard and expensive to acquire. i’m talking 6mo long process and 3k bucks.

still plenty of idiots on the roads, and a lot of people driving without a license, especially motorcycles.

when we are made to depend so heavily on cars, people just gotta use it despite everything. i think the solution involves better public transport.

• UnPassive@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

I pedal bike to work and have close calls weekly with cars. Couple months ago I was in the bike path and a car came next to me and matched my speed and then came into the bike lane and drove me into the grass. I thought they were doing it on purpose but they were just confused following their GPS and drifted… Similar stories on my motorcycle. Lane splitting is legal where I live but people still yell at me saying I can’t “cut in line” and I had one lady drive on the sidewalk and around me onto the crosswalk (at a red light) saying “if you can cut then so can I.” It was kinda terrifying.

Where I live, everyone drives and everyone hates driving and hates other drivers, but they hate bikes and motorcycles more because out grouping or something. Only way to stay alive is to pretend you’re invisible and not piss car drivers off.

Midwest USA if curious

• Demdaru@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

Gimmie a sec to grab my jaw from the floor. Yeah if I ever end in the USA I’m gonna make sure to avoid getting on two wheels. Where I live there is some hatred between bikers and drivers (two way), but not that point.

• SuperSpruce@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

I’m gonna assume you’re actually in the GTA in Canada because there are no states in the Midwest USA where lane splitting is legal.

• JohnnyH842@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

It’s definitely an issue of distracted driving rather than a lack of skills to drive adequately. Because of our lack of public transportation options compared to where I’m assuming you live, most folks have to drive to do most things. They also have to do this at the same time as everyone else, which makes driving a shitty necessity and overall poor experience. Now we have computers in our hands and can do something more enjoyable than pay attention to the road while you’re on your Thursday evening 1.5 hour commute home from work.

Personally I think that distracted driving violations should be treated the same way a DUI is.

• Demdaru@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        26 days ago

Fits with what the u/UnPassive wrote. Still terrible. And yeah, where I live we have quite good public transport, even if folk here tend to think it’s not good enough. But overall where I live people seem to be more focused, maybe because a lot of them likes to speed a little bit too much, and that requires focus. Our traffic isn’t that congested.

• glitchdx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      26 days ago

I’ve been hit 4 times in the past 2 years, all while I did everything absolutely correct. It’s utterly amazing that I’m not dead.

• Gakomi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    26 days ago

We know and that’s why most of us that care about our life we drive slow as well as stop even if it’s a green light the rest well let’s hope they have good luck or don’t depending on what you wish for them!