• IninewCrow@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Imagine starting or rallying towards a civil war

… for some dumb, stupid, meaningless, ignorant, arrogant and self serving politician like Donald Trump.

• morphballganon@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

He’s not even a politician

He’s a game show host who was informed his only chance of staying out of prison was to be elected president

But then he committed more crimes, so even having been president will no longer cut it

• Drusas@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

He’s not even a game show host. He’s a failed real estate mogul who inherited his wealth and then squandered it, bankrupting multiple businesses along the way.

• finley@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

Not to mention a professional debtor who has probably borrowed more money than he’s ever made for himself.

• FrankFrankson@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            23 days ago

That is not fair he made that money…out of thin air by fraudulently misrepresenting the value of his buildings used as collateral for those loans.

• OpenStars@discuss.online
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

Counterpoint: it’s more like they are trying to use support for him as the excuse to start the civil war? But if not him, they would find some other “cause” for it.

With arson, it is not enough simply to put out the immediate fire.

• Quetzlcoatl@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

Now is your chance to sell the new upside down american flags for triple the price to the stupidest people on planet earth. Do it quick before they realize they can just flip over the 27 flags they already own. End your ebay listing with god bless to really sell it.

• lemmus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

Right-wingers love to disrespect the flag. Seems to contradict their allegiance to the flag, and the liberty and justice for all it is purported to represent.

• mlg@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

“Don’t desecrate the flag unless we want to”

Same group that threw a hissy fit over flag burning

• alexc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

Isn’t flying the flag upside down against the US Flag code? Then again, so is turning it into clothing IIRC.

• ilinamorato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 days ago

Also, technically the Flag Code isn’t the law. Not that that occurred to them when people were using it for progressive protests.

• Tolookah
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

I’m sure to some sovcits out there, flag code is as sacred as maritime law from 200 years ago.

• doctordevice@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            24 days ago

You have to accept these pieces of paper I printed out instead of me paying off my credit card debt because I invoke USC 420.69 Hocus Pocus Debt Begonus.

• CharlesDarwin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          24 days ago

I had to laugh when I was talking to some young con at my university who was beside himself that someone…gasp!..burned a flag on campus in protest. He thought whoever burned it should be in prison.

I first asked him - what about the First Amendment? He didn’t GAF - not “that kind” of free speech, that’s too far! I asked him if he knew what the proper disposal of a flag was? I told him the right way was to BURN it, and so what should happen to those people who are disposing of flags under this new law he wanted that banned burning of flags? He didn’t believe me and was aghast that I’d even say such a thing. LOL.

I also asked him what he thought should happen to old shirts, shoes, and every other random item the flag is plastered all over - if someone tosses those in the trash, and they get incinerated, who goes to jail for that? At this point, he was kinda worn out…

• slippery_salmons@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

For the clothing thing, Isn’t the rule just that you can’t turn a flag into clothing. You’re allowed to make clothes with patterns from flags as long as the material didn’t come from a flag.

• notannpc@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

It’s not a form of right-wing protest. It’s a form of peaceful protest that is currently being used by right-wing morons. There is a difference. Words matter.

Stop assigning ownership of symbols to fleeting groups of imbeciles.

• WaterSword
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 days ago

As someone from the Netherlands this is nothing new. Right wingers and anti-climate policy farmers have been using the upside down Dutch flag for a long time. Always funny when people from other countries see it:

“Why is the flag of Yugoslavia so prevalent?” Or the same thing with Schleswig-Holstein. (A German province)