• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    23 days ago

Even if that existed, it wouldn’t work like that…

Even if it did, the person coming out of it would be absolutely insane or comatose.

Which is probably why the article is a decade old and we haven’t heard of it

• fine_sandy_bottom
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Yeah it pops up every month or so in these communities.

There’s no connection between the perceived passage of time and the penal system.

• AVincentInSpace@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

Times I’ve seen this headline: too many to count

Times I’ve seen any evidence at all that anything like this is even theoretically possible or that anyone on Earth, including any government, actually desires it: 0

• Drusenija@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    22 days ago

Even if this worked as promised, if someone just murdered your child for example, and they got given a 1000 year sentence that was over in an afternoon from your perspective, would you feel that justice had been done?

You can argue that yes, of course it has, they’ve lived a millennium being punished for their crime, but I feel the vast majority of people would feel short changed by the process.

Whether that in itself is right or wrong is a completely separate discussion. But you’d have to have it if this tech actually existed and was used as they’re suggesting.

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

1,000 years imprisonment would drive that person insane.

Not figuratively. The human mind was not built to comprehend such timescales.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

You have to decide whether imprisonment is about punishment or rehabilitation or removing threatening individuals from society.

The problem is I don’t think the court system really knows what it wants to achieve either. Although it certainly didn’t want to rehabilitate anyone thank you very much.

• Dicska@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        22 days ago

Plus another question is whether the punishment should make the family of the victim feel better or not - should it be a factor, at all? If you could literally turn someone into an OK person with the help of a 10 minute (3 day, 30 days) treatment, should we still make their suffering longer just for the family to feel they got their revenge?

• KISSmyOSFeddit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      22 days ago

You can bet a lot of people would demand a 20-year sentence with the drug.
      So it feels like 20 million years for the criminal.

• Transporter Room 3@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Hey I remember that one!

Its a chilling concept, for sure but I don’t think anyone could truly understand how much someone would be begging for death by the time they pulled out their phone, let alone finished typing.

By the time anyone did or worse yet by the time it wore off, there would be nothing left of the person from the day before.

Like damn that would be the one time I wish I had a concealed carry weapon. If there is a deity that abhors such things, I think they’d understand the mitigating circumstances. If not, then it’s not a deity I’d like to spend another eternity with.

• Yggnar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 days ago

Reminds me of that Junji Ito story about the dreamer. Don’t remember what it was called off the top of my head.

• HootinNHollerin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    22 days ago

I mean I’ve experienced creating the Big Bang and watching the formation of stars and galaxies on a full blast of 5-MEO DMT combined with peaking on a heavy dose LSD and wasn’t even human or ‘me’

Then my friend said he was trapped in a windowless and doorless room for what felt like decades, but he was very depressed going through a divorce

The drug exposes you to what you need and is there to help imo. I don’t see how they could ensure you have a bad experience but I’m sure they’ll try

• Not a replicant@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    аҧсуа бызшәа
    arrow-up
    ·
    22 days ago

This is not a new concept. That was a plot line in an episode of an obscure British dystopian-future tv series called “1990” starring Edward Woodward - made in the late 1970s. The general premise was that the public service bureaucracy had taken over and lives were lived according to a great deal of surveillance and oversight.

Prisoners had the “option” of misery pills to shorten their sentences. Designed to reduce the prison population by getting prisoners through their sentences faster.

Quite an interesting show IIRC - I haven’t managed to find it while out sailing.

• hector@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

I love how the title doesn’t frame this idea as the worse thing we could try to design and engineer as a society.

• JadenSmith@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    21 days ago

Bromo Dragonfly.

I’ve read some horror stories about Bromo Dragonfly… Lasts for days and one person described it as hallucinating that the devil was constantly dragging him into hell, over and over again, for hours.

• Mango@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

DMT is not like that.

If there is something like that and I hear about any authorities trying to use it to harm people, I will be doing everything in my power to kill those authorities.