• Summzashi@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

Mickey Mouse. Like what is even the appeal? Is there anyone who actually likes Mickey Mouse?

That fucking mouse is absolutely everywhere but it’s the most boring nonsense character to ever exist.

• vonbaronhans@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Like most really early animated characters, Mickey Mouse was a lot of things over a long period of time. And as far as American animation goes, Mickey Mouse has been a staple for the childhood of literally every generation. Younger millennials and zoomers grew up on Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Children in decades prior watched Mickey be a musketeer in one short and starving due to poverty in the next.

So while the rough edges of the character have been sanded down over time, he’s still very much a plucky, brave, kind, and helpful protagonist in most of the media he’s in.

Which to your average adult viewer means… he’s a bland and uninteresting character.

That said, he’s still an icon of animation as a whole, and most things with Mickey in them are doing some new and novel something (design, production pipeline, whatever) that pushes the whole industry forward in some way.

• all-knight-party@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

I’m curious, I feel like I haven’t seen mickey in anything flagship Disney in an extremely long time, what’s his latest work?

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

as someone who is in their mid 30s… Kingdom Hearts? And I really only played the first one where’s he’s (if I remember correctly) just kinda talked about and teased at the end. I would be really shocked if anyone had any actual feelings toward him as a character in any meaningful way other than him being a mascot. Did he even win a sportsball recently?

• vonbaronhans@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

At this point I’m not sure what’s newest, since my kid just watches everything streaming.

I do have to say the newer 2D animated shorts, The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse, are a fantastic return to form.

• Captain Aggravated@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Rich Evans once said of Who Framed Roger Rabbit: “Bugs Bunny gave Eddie Valiant the spare tire (instead of a spare parachute) because Mickey Mouse would never do anything funny.”

• Illuminostro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 days ago

I like how he fucks up anyone stupid enough to fuck with him. How does The Mouse’s dick taste, DeSantis?

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Superman has had its good moments like the world made of cardboard scene. Nowadays I think saitama from one punch man makes for a better all powerful hero as the narrative really focuses more on the consiquences of that power on himself and the people around him rather than just having him save the day over and over.

• Postmortal_Pop@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

Superman is such a single note character that the good things that came out of his existence can all be counted on one hand. I get that he was foundational to the concept of superheros, but it shows in this day and age.

I will say the monologue in justice league while he’s slapping around Darkside is immaculate though.

• invertedspear@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

The best thing to come from Superman is Lex Luther. No villain can go toe to toe with Supes, except maybe Doomsday, but does he really count as a villain? Mindless kill machine. Anyway, Lex has to beat Superman who can punch him into mist, or roast him by looking at him too hard, or literally blow him to the moon. How do you write a villain to counter that? By making them cunning and lovable to the public so that if Superman does any of those things, the public turns against him. Superman’s weakness isn’t only kryptonite, he craves social acceptance, if he didn’t he would just punch his way into being in charge and dare anyone to stop him. Lex gets how razor thin that edge is and takes full advantage.

• androogee (they/she)@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

Eh, Batman is exactly as single-note as Superman is.

Superman requires very good writing from someone who understands what to do with the character.

I’m pretty excited to see what Gunn does with him, tbh.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

That’s a fair comparison. Superman is powerful enough to always make the right choice, even when it’s hard. The appeal comes from Superman discovering and making the right choice.

Batman makes the necessary choice (apart from killing), which isn’t always the right choice. The appeal comes from stories where Batman walks the line between criminal vigilante and hero who saves the day.

• inb4_FoundTheVegan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 days ago

Yeah but batman is literally just as crazy as the villains he fights. Gotham is just glad he has a weird justice obsession instead of a weird clown or scarecrow kink. That’s more interesting than superman just being perfect at everything. I’ve been reading through “Alan Moore in the DC universe” and like, each of the superman stories are just so one note. He is good at everything, until a random mcguffin comes up and then another charcter comes along to pick it off the ground, and then Supes beats up whoever brought the evil space flower to him in the first place.

I’ll be intrigued to see how Gunn handles him too, but in a life time of reading comics the only superman stories I found interesting was elseworld stuff red son and kingdom come where they treat him as a concept more than a charcter.

Main universe or any of the movies? Meh.

• Susaga@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        5 days ago

I disagree. Superman has as much depth as Batman. He’s just more morally pure, and people mistake “dark” for “complex”.

• Postmortal_Pop@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

I’d argue Batman’s equally bad, it’s interesting that he’s not super by the definition everyone wide uses, but trauma an only carry you so far

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

Harry Potter. People often talk about a “golden age” of JK Rowling, and I think to myself, what golden age? Harry Potter, both the character and the books, are written like a hyperinflated Cinderella, complete with an attempt at discriminatory apologetics that would make CS Lewis say “you okay bro?”

Also, Luke Skywalker. People hate Anakin for being whiny and weak and Rey for being a Mary Sue, but Luke is both and nobody complains.

• WanderingVentra@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Luke had to actually train and failed when he fought his main, more experienced villain for the first time. Then he went back and did more training off screen. I think that makes him less a Mary Sue. He’s definitely whiny, though.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Only in the beginning. Part of the excellence of the OT was seeing him grow from whiny kid to self-confident man.

• all-knight-party@kbin.run
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

He’s whiny in just barely enough lines to establish that he’s still a bit naive, but I would not consider him an overall whiny character, even in the vacuum of episode 4, he is not constantly bitching and dodging his responsibility once its importance is established.

Its probably the best way they could’ve utilized whininess

• WanderingVentra@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

True, true. It’'s a good coming of age story in that way. You don’t see him grow up physically, but in maturity, confidence, wisdom, and least importantly, ironically enough, power. I say least importantly, because it’s the growing in wisdom that helps him defeat the Emperor in the end, not his cool force powers (although that does make the movies more fun to watch).

• jacksilver@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Additionally, and probably most importantly, Luke actually isn’t strong enough to defeat the emperor at the end. He losses. However, he wins over his father and that’s what turns the tide.

Similarly, while Anikan has some mary sue moments, he has a far share of losses (chase for Padme’s would be assassin, count doku fight, Obi-Wan fight, etc.)

I think the only time Rey “losses” a battle is in force awakens when she gets captured (but even after being captured she overpowers Ben almost immediately).

• Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

As much as I enjoy that franchise I agree with you. For years I kept hearing ‘it’s better in the books’, I remember specifically people saying that about the organization that helps dobbie and his people. Fuggin, I read the books as an adult and it’s barely expanded on it at all, they just have more scenes about the organization but it isn’t ever truly relevant beyond explaining why Hermione does what she does as an adult.

It’s a charming little story that matured with readers and got a decent adaptation that led it to explode. Lots of luck to get to where it’s at.

I would love to see a wandering inn adaptation instead.

• Pumafred9@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Yeah, but he used to bullseye womp rats in his T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.

• Valmond@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

One-trick ponies, with one characteristic only (strong, loyal, fast, …)

So flat and boooring.

• RebekahWSD@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

Astarion from BG3. I can understand why people like him. I personally do not and generally never used him in the party because I didn’t want to hear him be annoyed yet again I was helping people.

• TheFeatureCreature@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Astarion is particularly annoying in Act 1 for some reason, with 99% of his reactions just being him hating anything that is remotely positive. His reactions (and character in general) in the following acts is a lot more fleshed out and varied.

• snooggums@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

His guard is up for the first act because he is traveling with new people.the change is due to warming up to the characters.

Shadowheart does this in the first act too, and combined they are really annoying as a combo but I found both to be fine individually.

• TheFeatureCreature@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

Even with her guard up, Shadowheart’s character is still more varied. Her reactions are more mixed and you can really see her bluntness and pragmatism come through. Her responses vary from indifference, apathy, rudeness, hostility, and moments of care and tenderness. Astarion in Act 1 is just an asshole all the time. I also feel that some of his reactions clash with his character and don’t make sense. Don’t get me wrong; I think he’s a good character but I can also see why so many want nothing to do with him.

• Quetzalcutlass@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 days ago

The thing is, Viconia and ::: spoiler Throne of Bhaal spoilers Sarevok ::: had similar arcs in the previous games but I never got annoyed enough to not want them in my party. A character can be disagreeable without being insufferable.

• owenfromcanada@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

I wasn’t a fan of Astarion either. Though to be fair, I’m never a fan of self-centered characters or evil runs. I don’t get the appeal.

• leave_it_blank@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

It was the same for me with the guy with the hamster in Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2. He’s a favourite to everyone, to me he was just an annoying idiot.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

I think he’s endearing. But I was probably about 12 when I first played BG1, and the dumb-but-good-hearted warrior with the world’s only miniature giant space hamster was comedic gold for me at that age.

• ThunderWhiskers@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 days ago

Minsc is getting a big punch up for the nostalgia factor. He’s a beloved character from the original games and has been featured in other D&D stories.

• Lenny@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

I killed him almost immediately after those first few nights in camp. I then left Shadowheart there to rot with his corpse. I never understand the mass appeal towards those two.

• TheOakTree@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

I think as the game progresses, you get to see why Astarion is so eager to act in his own interests. However, his backstory really only justifies half of his refusal to help people. The other half of his whining feels antithetical to his own situation, but perhaps that’s just because he doesn’t fully acknowledge his newfound freedoms until Act 2.

• BlowMe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

Edward Kenway from Assassin’s Creed 4. The whole game actually is extremely overrated. I had a hard time finishing that game. I rather play 3 or even Unity.

• ivanafterall@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 days ago

I’ve been watching some Friends here and there (a bit late to the game) and I absolutely cannot stand Rachel.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

Ross is the one that drives me insane. Literally every other person demonstrates some sort of growth over the 10 years the show takes place, but Ross is pretty much exactly the same.

For me, Rachel starts out annoying but gets more likeable through the seasons.

• ivanafterall@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

I was watching a few on a road trip and happened to catch them when Rachel was rejecting Joey, then demanding Ross not date and stay with her. She was just awful in every episode I saw.

• wirelesswire@kbin.run
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

I think he’s liked more because he’s relatable, rather than he’s an interesting character. Personally, I think his pranks on Dwight are amusing, but everything else about him is nothing special.

• invertedspear@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 days ago

Dwight would be a much more loyal friend for sure, and far less likely to steal your girl. But these high intelligence low wisdom friends are exhausting. Especially when they make a mistake, because they’re so book smart they couldn’t possibly be wrong. Tons of unwanted advice on subjects they’ve only read about. But they’ll always be first to arrive when you need help moving. It’s almost impossible for you to be as good a friend in return, not that it’s required, but I feel bad when it’s not even. And then you’re just driving around one day chatting with them in the passenger seat and they pull out the ninja star they bought at the gas station and want you to think it’s as cool as they do. I just don’t know how to handle Dwight friends.

• dohpaz42@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 days ago

Not that I’m suggesting that I’m smart, but I really felt this comment to my core. I feel like people that know me may look at me like I’m a “Dwight Friend”, and I’ve long realized this (though never have I articulated it quite as well as you). It’s a real confidence killer when you realize this is how you’re viewed. But yes, if someone called needing help, I would be there in a heartbeat.

• invertedspear@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 days ago

If it helps, in pretty much every friendship, one of you will be the Dwight. I have Dwight friends, and I am the Dwight to other friends. If you feel like you’re always the Dwight, you just haven’t found your Dwight yet. He’s out there and he’s patient.

• Sludgehammer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 days ago

Sephiroth. His look is basically the most generic bishy anime character you can make, his entire backstory can be boiled down to “mommy issues” and his motivations are the standard villain “destroy world/become god”. He’s just so bland.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

Agreed. And Kefka was way cooler anyway.

(I firmly believe most people gush over FF7 so much only because it was their first exposure to a mainstream console RPG in non-Japanese circles. FF7 as a whole was a fairly meh entry into the series anyway, if you ask me.)

Not only did Kefka have real style, twisted though it may be, he also for all intents and purposes actually managed to win. He fractured the world, scattered the heroes, built his goddamned tower, and was lording it all over everybody with a penthouse view. He didn’t have angst; he was just nuts. It was frankly a complete fluke that he got the shit whacked out of him by a little girl with a paintbrush, a 8x per round attacking Moogle with Genji gloves, a senior citizen, and a mime.

• Margot Robbie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

The Joker.

I really don’t get the obsession with overusing the Joker when most of Barman’s other rogue gallery members are much more interesting. The worst of it is during “The Batman Who Laughs”, because now you have both the regular Joker and “what if Batman became Joker” running around. And then, as if it couldn’t get any more ridiculous,

spoiler

The Batman who Laughs gets Dr. Manhattan’s powers in a groan-worthy way which is like, not how Dr. Manhattan works at all just so they can fit more Joker into the story.

And I think most people will agree by now that Harley Quinn is a lot better of a character after she’s done being Joker’s sidekick.

• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 days ago

The Doctor.

We get it. You wish a dashing eccentric gentleman with an English accent will appear out of the blue and whisk you away from your situation to a life of adventure. But it’s not going to happen, sweetheart.

It doesn’t help that Doctor Who has always been crap sci-fi, but gets a free ride due to having such a long history stretching back to before anyone knew any better. The series as a whole is one of those I find also dragged down by a subsection of rabid insufferable fans, at least the modern incarnations, right up there with Rick and Morty and Supernatural. (I see I already kicked the beehive.)

• CheeseNoodle@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Dr Who has had some genuinely good episodes and plot lines, nowadays though it does mostly seem to be re-hashing its own old plot lines but in a shorter and less well executed form or just trying to cram as many current issues into an episode as possible. Its basically suffering the same fate as the simpsons.

• 🧟‍♂️ Cadaver@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

I think the sci-fi is not crap. But it is not appealing to everyone. DW remains a children’s show, always has been. It should be viewed as such, just like Star Wars is.

TBH, I still watch it, even though it peaked seasons 4 - 6, then went down and down and down. I think nostalgia has got a hold of me because the new season wouldn’t wouldn’t get hooked to it if I were my first time watching it.

• Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

For me it was Rose. She was an alright companion but far from the best and it annoyed me how much importance she had to everything with all her storylines.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 days ago

Upvoted for a hot take!

I never watched the old stuff. I enjoyed the campy and quirky scifi romp that peaked with the 10/11 doctors, but there are certainly long stretches of pretty dull episodes, I admit. There are many episodes that I just love and tried to make note of through my last watch through.

It doesn’t take itself too seriously and I like that. It’s also like gateway scifi for people not normally too into the genre.

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

I thought you were referring to The Doctor from Star Trek: Voyager and was about to pitch a fit but, yeah—fuck Whom’st Doctor Doth Darken Mine Teleboothe

• Croquette@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

It’s an easy movie to watch, which makes it enjoyable for me. Everything else in life takes a lot of energy, so when I want to watch a movie over doing something else, I just want something that I can zone out to.

Same reason I watch a Will Ferrell movie and like them (like the one where he voiced a dog)