• SuperSaiyanSwag@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 day ago

The title is kinda clickbait-y, 64gb steamdeck is cheaper than oled switch and that’s about it. Standard switch is still cheaper and oled switch is cheaper than other models.

• Auzy@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Yeah. I actually wanted to buy one too. It’s a pity they don’t make steam machines either anymore

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 days ago

The best thing about a Steam Deck is the fact that with Emudeck, you can make your deck a much better Switch. The only thing you’ll be missing is lack of Internet features and the GUI.

I’m also always happy to try and convince anyone and everyone not to buy from Sintendo and buy hardware that isn’t inferior because I swear Sintendo hardware has absolutely been inferior compared to the competition since at at least n64.

• PopOfAfrica@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Honestly, I think we need to stop worrying about console power. It’s not contributing to games getting any better.

If anything, the absolutely insane graphical targets of modern games are causing fewer games being made.

• KubeRoot
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

I do get the impression that Nintendo has consistently had worse hardware for a long time… And I appreciate it. Instead of cranking up the hardware, they make games that are fun and run on weaker hardware, often with neat stylization.

• Tak@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 days ago

While I agree that not chasing further hardware demands is refreshing, it’s also really frustrating to buy a nearly decade old tablet to play games. Many smart phones could run switch games at this point and seeing PCs emulate the switch better than the switch can run natively is exceptionally frustrating.

• KubeRoot
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

Those are fair points, I actually bought the switch pretty early on after seeing praise for Odyssey and BotW. I play on PC otherwise, but I enjoyed the experience, playing docked with joycons with motion controls.

I’m not personally frustrated, while the games definitely seem overpriced, I always felt like Nintendo is just sitting in their niche doing their thing, not trying to one-up others and instead providing various gimmicks with their devices. They’re selling consoles and games for a certain price, and it feels like if you think the deal is bad or unfair, you can just pass on it.

I don’t think I really have a point here, just saying my thoughts. I have my issues with Nintendo, but I do feel like their consoles and games provide value that is hard to get elsewhere.

• PopOfAfrica@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 days ago

Its less crazy when you remember the system is near 8 years old and the sequel system is coming out

• Sphks@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 days ago

But I like Nintendo consoles for their couch-multiplayer games. Like Wii-sport, Boom-blox, Just Dance, Mario party, Mario kart…

A Steam-deck is good for single players games.

• Midnitte@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 days ago

Great for games like Vampire Survivor and Gauntlet Dark Legacy.

Ah… I really need to transfer over the CD image. Someone really needs to make a new Gauntlet.

• loutr@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

With an USB-C dock/hub you can plug the deck into your TV and multiple controllers. Lots of wireless controllers are also supported OOTB, including joy cons.

• ditty@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

And doing it this way you can actually play Switch games at true 1080p 60 fps most of the time

• I_Has_A_Hat@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

I use my Switch to exclusively play Smash Bros with my friends using GameCube controllers with the switch adapter.

My Switch has been having lots of issues lately though. Anyway to replicate that with the Steam Deck?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

If you’re playing offline with friends, Emudeck has Ryujinx available. All you’d need is to either dump your cartridge if you can (which I don’t know how to do) or get a copy and make sure you got a dock to hook up your deck to the TV. I don’t know what kind of port the GameCube controllers use or if they’ll work, though. I don’t have one, so I couldn’t tell you. I know the 3rd party wired pro controller I have works fantastically, though. Only other thing you gotta worry about it having enough ports to plug in to depending on the number of players and dock you got.

As for whether the game will be as smooth on Ryujinx as it is on switch, that’s something I don’t know considering I’ve never tried it on my deck.

• ditty@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

This reddit post leads me to believe that it is doable. I have the official Nintendo USB GameCube adapter and a Steam Deck, and I’d be happy to help you troubleshoot if needed :)

It seems like it should work great! 👍

• Katana314@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

You talk about convincing people into emulation, but can you even do that on moderated websites? I mean, helping them get ROMs without going into “wink wink nudge nudge” communication or risking Nintendo’s lawyers invading that site.

Speaking plainly, I still buy games and hardware the normal way because I don’t want that complication. It’s not worth the effort and hassle just to risk putting viruses on my computer.

• verdigris@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I legit cannot remember the last time I got a virus pirating a game. Probably in the Limewire days, ~20+ years ago.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 days ago

So, anytime people say this, I’m compelled to remind them: Unlike movie depictions, malware is generally incentivized to not be apparent.

You install something, they infect, and then they do their best to ensure you don’t know that for the next few months, if ever. Meanwhile, anything as subtle as key logging or checking wifi-connected devices can give them info for some other attack.

So, I can only say I hope I don’t have a virus right now - but I don’t really know. And I’m pretty sure those pirating groups have profit incentives beyond littering their sites with ads.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

I’d like to think Lemmy is still small enough that talking about piracy of their games and stuff is flying under their radar for now, which is why I don’t care. Also, fuck Sintendo. I ain’t afraid of their corporate stasi.

Also, on Steam Deck, Emudeck takes away the vast majority of complications regarding getting multiple emulators set up by having pre-configured configurations for each emulator you install to try and make sure game compatibility and running them is as smooth as can be for most games.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

The emulators are generally easy to get. The struggle is in getting the games themselves.

Even if you’re unafraid of Nintendo’s stasi, you aren’t the one assuming risk. Takedown notices tend to go to the hosting / discussing sites, not individual users. It’s not very brave to order Lemmy hosts to battle those notices in court on your behalf.

• Mango@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

I’m not even mad that I just paid full price. I don’t think I’ve been happier with any other purchase I’ve ever made!

• Hanrahan@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Damn Gabe, u doing guerilla marketing now?.

Jokes aside, I do keep looking… Closely and I do hardly any gaming these days, usually 15 minutes on the phone awaiting an apoinment etc.

• Mango@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

I just got a mouse and keyboard and play black ops 3 zombies with my roommate all the time. He uses controller. Everything just works!

• yuri@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Protondb has user reports that (usually) include performance stats and settings, as well as any additional setup like launch options or specific preferred proton versions.

I also check Valve’s own “top 100 played on steam deck” list to see what other people are rockin, always surprised to see shit like Fallout 4 on there.

• golli@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 days ago

Fallout probably got a boost from the new series, that was quite well received.

• Tattorack@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 days ago

I have yet to run into any game through Steam that really doesn’t work. Even ones listed as incompatible, or having issues.

I’m having a lot of fun chilling in the couch playing Civ 6.

• Tattorack@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

Thanks to Humble Monthly I have over 400 games on my Steam account.

In just the last three weeks I’ve played No Man’s Sky, Worms WMD, Civ 6, Bravery and Greed, Darkest Dungeon, Warframe and just today LEGO 2K Drive.

And that’s not counting emulation.

If you’re complaining that some AAA games don’t work, that’s because AAA games have sucked for the past 5 or so years. Starfield, Jedi Survivor, Cyberpunk all still struggle to run nicely on even the best hardware out there. Not a problem with the Deck, but rather the state of the industry.

• cordlesslamp@lemmy.today
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 days ago

I’m curious about the emulation on Steam Deck. Which emulator run well enough to play daily? Can it run Switch emulator at 30fps, or specifically Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

• Tattorack@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 days ago

I use Yuzu through EmuDeck. Even with Nintendo having given the crunch on Yuzu it’s still my preferred emu and can run almost anything with little to ko flaws.

• Mariokart 8 Deluxe runs great, flawlessly I’d almost say! Online multiplayer works really well too, if you have friends that are also playing through Yuzu. However… Local multiplayer is hit or miss; there is a prevalent issue starting up a splitscreen match with the controller activation pop-up, as it tends to soft-lock the game.

• The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild runs great too, but with occasional framerate instability. However, I noticed framerate on the native Switch wasn’t perfectly stable either when I played my friend’s copy. You’ll certainly notice bad framerate when the game has to render rainy thunderstorms.

• Raymen Legends The Complete Edition is completely flawless!

• Mario Wonder struggles a lot with framedrops. Dunno what it is, but that game is seriously difficult to get a stable framerate on regardless of the Deck or a modestly powerful desktop, even after trying all sorts of settings.

Those are all the Switch games I’ve played, but I’m also playing, and have played other emulated games:

• PCSX2 for PlayStation 2 I don’t think you’re going to have any problems with. I’ve played through some of Rayman 2 and Spyro The Eternal Night and have had no issues.

• RPCS3 for Playstation 3 takes some finangling with the settings to get games to run decently, and you WILL still get imperfect framerates… Buuuuut… I’m currently playing the first Motorstorm and the Ratchet & Clank HD Trilogy and I really can’t complain. Despite the occasional slow-mo lag (especially in Ratchet & Clank for some reason) performance is great.

The two games I’m playing through RPCS3 work best by setting the resolution to 75% native and turning on 50% FSR in the emulator’s graphics settings. It looks better and runs better that way, as opposed to using the native resolution.

• cordlesslamp@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 day ago

Thank you so much.

With the sale going on, the 512GB OLED is almost double the price of the 512GB LCD. Do you think it’s worth the money? Personally what would you recommend?

• Tattorack@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 day ago

I bought a certified refurbished 512 GB LCD model. This was shortly before the OLED version came out. You can get a lot of games to run 4 hours on it, longer if the game hardly challenges the Deck.

Other games just juice the Deck like a lemon.

Games like Worms WMD last a very long time on the Deck.

No Man’s Sky lasts 4-ish hours, though perhaps a little under 4 hours.

Civ 6 sucks the battery dry in less than 2 hours, but with tweaking some settings now lasts 4 hours.

Phoenix Point runs well but drinks battery power like an alcoholic, lasting only an hour.

Switch games emulated through Yuzu can last a surprisingly long time. I’ve managed to play Breath of the Wild for nearly 4 hours.

All in all I would say the LCD model is not a bad choice at all. However, if you can afford the OLED model, I’d recommend getting that one; it’s exactly like my model in performance, except better in a few areas. The battery is bigger and lasts much longer. The screen looks gorgeous being an OLED. Valve has made opening the Deck easier, for maintenance and modification purposes.

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 days ago

Still waiting for a good deal on the OLED model to convince myself to upgrade from the LCD. I’m hoping the holiday sale this year might bring some deals.

• Plap plap 𓁑𓂸 @lemmyf.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 days ago

I upgraded to the OLED model when it came out. The screen looks much nicer, has a faster refresh and longer battery life. I definitely recommend it over the original, but it is a steep price when you already have one that works fine.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Man there aren’t many things I would upgrade from one gen to the next but the OLED is such a massive improvement in every single way (other than still having a single USB port).

• DaGeek247@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 days ago

Last I heard was that the steam deck wasn’t getting a version 2 update until there was next gen hardware to match it. Gaben isn’t a big fan of regular sub five percent hardware refreshes that other companies are happy with.

Might be a name thing though. They did the OLED update, but it’s not called the steam deck 2.

• randomname01@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

If they want Steam Deck to be a legitimate platform to target for developers - which seems to be the case and which seems to be working - they practically need to make sure they’re not refreshing it every 2-3 years with a spec bump. I’d personally be very surprised if Valve releases the next generation Steam Deck before 2026.

• NoneYa@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 days ago

I’m not sure about that. Index fans are still waiting for the sequel to their hardware.

I wonder if Gabe/Valve is content with the OLED model as is and doesn’t find a reason to make another so soon.

• ggppjj@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 days ago

God, if this ends up with the steam deck 2 powering a standalone index 2 with redesigned knuckles 2 that can be used standalone as a Steam Controller 2…

It’s a fantasy, absolutely. The controller part especially probably wouldn’t work. But… I can dream.

• narc0tic_bird@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 days ago

If they want to keep the Deck’s reputation of being able to run “most” PC games, they’ll have to make a new model sooner rather than later. I’m guessing they’re waiting for AMDs beefier RDNA 3.5 iGPUs. Pair that with more and faster memory and they should be good to go.

• menemen@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 days ago

Man, I just bought a new gaming notebook, but I really want to get one. And I have almlst no time for gaming nowadays. Why are you tempting me, Gabe???

• Anamnesis@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

So glad I have a computer I can play games on so I don’t have to mess around with a smaller computer with a smaller screen and worse performance.

Edit: I pissed off the dad caucus with this comment. Steam decks are only for dads who can’t get more than thirty minutes of game time anymore and have no space for a legit gaming PC.

• verdigris@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I love taking my whole gaming pc setup with me to go visit my parents or take a flight, or just lugging it out to the porch for a nice evening of outdoor gaming.

• Anamnesis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

I guess I’m the only one in this thread that does other things when I’ve got down time away from the computer. When I want to play a video game, I don’t want to play a shittier version of it.

• PsychedSy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

For the kinds of games I play it’s not bad at all. I still have my gaming rig for FPSes, but I end up playing metroidvanias or something most of the time.

Mostly about controls and mood.

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

Have fun playing on your PC in the train or on other random places then?

• Anamnesis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 days ago

Maybe bring a book? Why not save gaming for when you can actually do it well, not on a tiny screen at sub-60fps?

• ReakDuck@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          24 hours ago

But what when I wanna play some games that fit perfectly for such trips?

Cult of the lamb is like perfect for such a task and many many other games.

I fucking loved playing Titanfall 2 campaign here and then while on a trip. Fucking satisfying for some reason. Some games are not really enjoyable on the trip. But a Book? Idk. Its personal preference what you want and need.

I guess I will switch to books for now, but the bit younger me didn’t liked books and enjoyed it a lot to play on rides instead of at home, you know.

• Cowbee@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

You can see the screen perfectly well at 90 FPS in many, many games. Why do you need to specifically play Tarkov or something on the train?

• thatsTheCatch@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

I have a steam deck… And a gaming PC! 🤯 I plug the steam deck into my TV with a couple of controllers, and now I have a “console” with all my steam games on it that I can use to play local multiplayer games with my partner. It’s also great to take when visiting family

• Cowbee@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

It’s convenient and controls extremely well for anyone with a busy life, or comfortable life, dad or no.

• PsychedSy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

My 'deck is my best controller. Less fuckiness, too. Steam integration with the controller is fantastic. It is a bit heavy when my wrists are being fucky, tho.