• Tiefling IRL@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I’m a professional fire/sideshow performer and certified freak. I know a lot about things that are weird, morbid, or dangerous. I also have a split tongue and love to show it off. I’m fun at parties :)

Ask me anything I guess?

• Sequentialsilence@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Acoustic propagation. I design large format PA systems and as a result need to know both how to make sound and stop sound at a large scale. It is entirely possible and actually relatively easy to be super precise with where sound goes or doesn’t go. The problem is cost.

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Noticed you haven’t been getting any feedback on this. That’s probably a good thing right? ;)

• Sequentialsilence@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Just message me, you’ll get some!

So a lot of people are aware of active noise cancellation that you find in headphones nowadays, that works in large scale as well. The first time that type of technology was used was in the greatful dead’s wall of sound. The problem is it’s expensive to do large scale.

• Sasha@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

A really painful type of coordinate transformation I once had to develop to try and shed some insight on Hawking radiation near black holes.

Unfortunately the results were fucking ugly and I gave up trying to understand them, largely due to the fact that except under very specific circumstances they’re basically impossible to calculate (you get something similar to divide by zero errors).

Nice case:

Not nice case:

There was a ton more related stuff I could have spent a PhD working on, but life didn’t really allow it (and frankly I’m okay with that, I’m actually doing enjoyable stuff for the first time in my life instead of fighting my brain).

• minyakcurry@monyet.cc
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Are you a post-doc now? If so, congrats! If you dont mind me asking, what exactly was your research about (not a physics/mathy person so ELI5 would be appreciated)

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Nah, I never even started a PhD mostly due to financial circumstances. But I’ve since realised I kinda hated academia because of untreated ADHD lol. I may go back to it one day after I’ve got treatment sorted but I really doubt it, I found my passion in music instead.

I’ll try and ELI5 haha. Think of a black hole like a battery, stuff falls in to charge it and then it discharges by tickling empty space into creating particles. The problem is that the particles it creates seem to be random, which means it acts like a big delete button for the stuff that fell inside. Due to quantum stuff, this shouldn’t be possible, so some process could exist to encode the information about the original stuff onto the particles that leave the black hole. Importantly this doesn’t actually mean the particles that leave have to be the same as what fell in, you just need to able to look at them and then reconstruct it. Kinda like if you scrambled a book in a way which makes it look random, but is actually a secret code that still has the whole story contained inside.

My research was to look for that information being written on the particles leaving the black hole, basically by comparing how space and time outside the black hole changes over time and seeing what it does to the tickling.

• minyakcurry@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Holy shit that’s insanely cool actually. But yea academia does get kinda ridiculous sometimes, I’m glad you found your passion for music instead!

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            2 months ago

Nah, I absolutely meant tickling. Black holes make empty space wiggle a bit and it produces particles.

The actual process is much more complicated ofc but that’s the picture in my head of the quantum field theory, if you tickle the surface of a still pond it’ll make ripples which is sorta the same thing.

• Nefara@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Compared to people around me I seem to know a lot about fashion history, textiles and clothing in general.

Hot tip, like literally a hot tip, if you’re having trouble being miserable in the hot weather this summer, try wearing 100% cotton, loose fitting clothes that cover your skin. 100% Linen or a linen/rayon blend is even better but pricey. Wear a hat. Polyester, acrylic, spandex, microfiber, they’re all plastics that not only insulate you but don’t absorb your sweat. That “moisture wicking technology” athletic clothing is always going on about is total bullshit. Wear a linen shirt in the sun with a breeze and marvel at the magic of evaporative cooling. Covering your skin with a hat and sleeves not only helps prevent sunburn, but is also your own portable shade. You know how much cooler it is in the shade, right?

You might look at pictures of old timey people all dressed in big dresses and long sleeve shirts and waistcoats in the old west and think “wow they must have been so uncomfortable!” but I bet you they were more comfortable than you in your polyester. Just ask a reenactor!

• neidu2@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Imagine a Venn Diagram with three circles:

Ships and their electronics
    Linux servers
    Industrial robotics

I’m in the middle where all of those intersect. Pays well.

• CallMeButtLove@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

You should grind everything up to 99 and do like that one person and max them all out one after another at the same time.

Edit: Ah, nevermind, I didn’t realize 99 was the max.

• radicalautonomy@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I can read UPC, ISBN, and EAN bar codes. Tear the numbers off the bottom, hand me the lines, and I can tell you the numbers you tore off. Also, if you give me any specific date on the Gregorian calendar (on or after October 15, 1582), I can tell you the day of the week it was or will be on.

Finally…way less interesting…but I have a Master’s degree in math and have taught elementary, middle school, high school, dual credit, and college math classes.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

It’s a Friday. Because all that matters in any date with a year greater than four digits is the last four digits, and July 26, 2024 is today, and today is a Friday. 😊

But, if I didn’t know July 26, 2024 were a Friday…

Step 1)

Starting numbers:

• Century is a multiple of 400: 2
        • Century is 100 more than multiple of 400: 0
        • Century is 200 more than multiple of 400: 5
        • Century is 300 more than a multiple of 400: 3

2024 is in the century of the 2000s. 2000 is a perfect multiple of 400, so the starting number there is 2.

Step 2) 24 is a multiple of 12, specifically 12 x 2. Thus we add 2.

Step 3) 24 is a perfect multiple of 12 with zero years in excess, so we can add 0.

Step 4) There are no leap years in the 0 extra years beyond the closest multiple of 24, so we can add another 0.

Step 5) The Doomsday for July is 7/11. July 26th is 15 days after July 11th. 15 mod 7 is 1, so we add 1.

Step 6) 2 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 1 = 5

Step 7)

• 0 = Sunday (Noneday)
        • 1 = Monday (Oneday)
        • 2 = Tuesday (Twoday)
        • 3 = Wednesday (Threesday)
        • 4 = Thursday (Thorsday Foursday)
        • 5 = Friday (Fiveday)
        • 6 = Saturday (Sixaday)

Our total was 5, so the date July 26th, 2024 (or any year with the last four digits 2024) is a Friday.

• udon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

What should also probably matter though is the existence of the sun 😉 Otherwise, how can it be a day?

To be fair though, I gave that point in time a day-like notation

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I edited my response to show the math behind it. And well played with the astronomy fun, didn’t even notice it. I am a math teacher with autism IRL, so I hyperfixated on the numbers!

• greencactus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I’ve delved way too deep into the fall of the Western Roman Empire. I think I know a lot about Majorian, Stilicho, Aetius and Ricimer. My gf at this point even knows who Honorius is and why he was a bad emperor. Edit: and that he had chicken :)

When I saw the meme “How often do you daily think about the Roman Empire”, I knew that it was about me, because the answer is yes :/

• stiephelando
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I think it’s neat that you’re taking an interest in history. You could do worse things with your free time :)

• greencactus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I think so too, especially because learning history provides one with a better understanding and contextualization of current events. I’m still wondering why exactly I picked the Roman Empire, but I also think that’s a pretty nice topic to delve into :)

Once again, thanks for your comment - it really matters to me!

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I am a steadicam operator and have been making power cables for cameras. I get calls from around the USA and the world from people trying to troubleshoot their electrical systems on their Steadicam and cinema cameras.

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

If you need an expert on the long-discontinued Motorola 96002 digital signal processor, I’m your guy! I wrote an entire graphical operating system in its assembly language and still need to maintain it from time to time, so my skills remain sharp.

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Well we built some instrumentation around it at work back in the 90s and still use it today. It was ahead of its time. It had hardware loops, a hardware call stack, hardware circular buffer addressing, and a DMA controller. In one instruction, you could do 2 FPU operations and a memory move with a DMA transfer going on in the background. It was an insane architecture. And it could handle 3 separate memory spaces, so even though it’s a 32-bit chip, you could access well over 4 GB of RAM.

The best thing about chips of that era though is you could tell ahead of time exactly how long your code will take to execute. Like you just type numbers into a spreadsheet and add up the instruction cycle counts. That kind of analysis is hopeless these days, but it informed the design of the instrument. More recently, we’ve been looking at RISC-V for a newer generation, but it’s harder to predict ahead of time how it will perform?

• Unbecredible@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I know how you feel, I once made the Kessler run in under twelve parsecs myself.

Whatcha coding that needs to be so precisely timed? Something nuclear? I heard once that nuclear plants have something called real time operating systems that allow for that type of timing prediction.

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I can’t say too much about it but we’re in the mining sector.

And yeah, if I had to do it all over again from scratch, I’d definitely be looking at a real-time OS. There just weren’t many options back in the day besides coding it all yourself. Even now, I’d have to benchmark the OS to see what its latency is actually like? We had it down in the microseconds range with our custom OS but if it’s more like milliseconds with an off-the-shelf OS, for example, that would change the whole ball game.

• Blackout@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I stumbled into an optics development project over a decade ago. Today I develop multiple systems a year and know the math behind it pretty well, although I use the dedicated software. I’ve also worked on the manufacturing of lenses. I’ve always been into photography and hope to start a niche camera lens company in the US just like MS optics in Japan.

• pseudo@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Good Luck. If you happened to do it, don’t hesitate to advertise us me on Lemmy.

• Tazerface@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I can look at a blueprint (top, front, and side views) and imagine the object in 3D. This is probably why I find topo maps easy to read as well.

• Zos_Kia@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I got way too hard into the Minecraft anarchy scene so I’ve got knowledge that even Minecraft fans find abhorrent.

Setting up bots and automation, using server exploits to hunt for hidden bases, exploiting item duplication glitches, and of course using cheat clients. I’ve even written a few hacks for a private client my group used to make.

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Meanwhile I get blown up by a creeper trying to set up a fence around my cobblestone and dirt house…

• Zos_Kia@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

haha yeah, same when I play solo without cheats. but it’s better to have a creeper blow a hole in your dirt shack than in your carefully designed redstone contraption!

• LazaroFilm@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Cats. Cats everywhere. I started playing Minecraft a few months ago. My kid wanted to play it so I decided to try it. Now I’m hooked.

• Zos_Kia@lemmynsfw.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

haha yeah it ain’t a good base if it doesn’t have dozens of pets sitting around. You should show your kid how to tame parrots with seeds, he’s gonna love it !

• Zos_Kia@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yes you got it ! By combining redstone elements you can make all the basic logic gates. You combine logic gates to make binary adders, multipliers etc… You can store data as inventories, like for example a chest with 5 slots filled won’t give the same signal as a chest with 3 slots filled. And finally you have various elements that can light up when powered so you make displays out of that.

• cheese_greater@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

What can you actually all do within the context of the game and its limitations?

Like what beneficial ends can it help achieve?

• Zos_Kia@lemmynsfw.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            2 months ago

Oh, it is functionally useless in the context of the game, more of a “because they can” kind of deal… That is why you’ll almost exclusively see that kind of things in Creative mode - it eats up tons of resources for no discernible end.

• lennybird@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

I’ve been learning about air quality consultation as a backup business plan over the past few years. Buying commercial-grade sensors, researching various aspects of air quality, monitoring, and purification techniques. Nothing crazy but feels pretty niche to me.

• stelelor@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I’ve always agreed with that saying “jack of all trades, master of none, but better than master of one” … but I didn’t expect to feel so frustrated that I don’t have any fun niche knowledge.

This was a great question, and I’ve loved reading all the answers!