• archonet@lemy.lol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Please, god, let him do some real Dark Brandon shit for once.

Be the bogeyman the Republicans make you out to be, damnit! If we’re going to endure this utter clownshow of an election year, we could at least try making it funny.

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Be the bogeyman the Republicans make you out to be, damnit! If we’re going to endure this utter clownshow of an election year, we could at least try making it funny.

I share your hopes, but we’re gonna be sorely disappointed. Dem leadership is never anywhere near as based as Republicans unwittingly make them seem.

And as far as entertainment value goes, Macho (in his own mind) Grandpa is pretty much like watching paint dry…

• Th4tGuyII@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I hate the idea of a president essentially being a monarch whilst in power, but I kinda do wish that Biden would do something to bite the anti-democracy members of the SCOTUS in the ass over this ruling

• PugJesus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

It would probably be better for the country if he went full Dark Brandon…

… but it would be funnier if he went Diamond Joe. Just no fucks, breaking the law for petty shit with total immunity because “That’s what I was born to do man, even Johnny Law thinks so”

• Katana314@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

It would be really funny if in the last month of his presidency, he put together a “bit” with a local corner store owner, coordinated beforehand, where he “robs the store” using a wooden gun under full observation of the Secret Service - and then explains the skit to a press conference for everyone who doesn’t get it, and allows a 9-year-old kid with a police badge “arrest” him for committing a crime.

• callouscomic@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

We’re coming into your program with breaking news. Today, President Biden decree’ed free ice cream nationally forever. Of course the industry is now in turmoil, scrambling to submit paperwork to the Department of Agriculture for reimbursement since there’s been a flood of people taking advantage of this. We go to Jessica who’s on the floor with a Republican Senator. Jessica?

Thank you Mary. Senator, what do you make of the Presidents action?

It’s appalling. He’s a Dictator now! This isn’t what our freedom loving country was founded upon. Later today I will introduce articles to impeach President Lactose for this disgusting abuse of power.

Sir, your own party’s candidate has openly said he’d abuse the power to jail his opponents, and you’ve openly supported him. Surely, giving out free ice cream isn’t more dictatorial or impeachable.

Ma’am, I dont like your lefty questions. Your one-sided commentary. This interview is over.

Mary, its clear this is a divisive topic in the halls of Congress. It also isn’t helping the mood among Congress that President Biden has been seen walking around with sunglasses on, eating ice cream, asking random Republicans “what’s got your goat, Jack?” Back to you.

• freshcow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Nah, let’s not pretend Biden is going to do anything cool. I think we all see him for what he is.

• MrVilliam@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I guess that’s why he’s capped insulin at $35/month through Medicare, costing those drug companies quite a bit while simultaneously setting a precedent for Medicare negotiating drug prices in a time when people are finally warming up to the idea of expanding Medicare to most and eventually all Americans. Those drug companies sure do love him for that. /s

• stress_headache@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Also a reminder that the same Justices who made that ruling are still on the bench and can and will change their rulings based on whatever serves them at the time. Just because they said the law applies one way when it comes to Republicans doesn’t mean they’ll say it applies the same way when it comes to non Republicans.

• Zier@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Appoint 26 new SC justices without a confirmation process. DO IT!!!

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s the difficult part. If he tried that they’d just ignore the appointments, just like how the Senate ignored Trump’s attempt to stop the vote.

And the reality is he’d never have justices killed. This ruling only empowers authoritarian Presidents.

• Clinicallydepressedpoochie@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

I mean, the appointment of 26 judges is totally legit because the 26 judges will rule its constitutional. From there they get carte blanche to interpret the constitution however they like until congress steps in does real legislation that prevents the bullshit that’s been coming from the court for years.

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Nobody will listen to those 26 judges though. Unless Biden is willing to start imprisoning and killing dissidents, the ruling means nothing to him.

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

The ruling wasn’t that the President could create our interpret law. It was that the President couldn’t be prosecuted for breaking the law.

Him illegally appointing justices wouldn’t result in him being jailed, but those justices would have no standing because they weren’t appointed through the proper procedure.

If a law were to be passed saying that stealing credit cards is legal, the banks would still cancel the cards when they were stolen.

• Clinicallydepressedpoochie@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                2 months ago

The constitution offers zero instruction on how to construct the supreme court and the responsibilities of the court. There might be some text about congress should give advice but the court we have today is completely of its own invention.

If it’s illegal for biden to appoint judges without congresses approval then the Supreme Court has given him complete immunity.

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

Declining to prosecute someone for a crime is different than going along with it.

If Biden were to declare by executive order “these 26 people are now Supreme Court Justices” that doesn’t make it true if the Courts and Congress don’t agree to go along with the illegal order.

It actually applies to Trump too. He stole classified documents, Judge Canon dismissed the case, but the national archives aren’t going to be giving the recovered documents back to him. He illegally tried to overturn the 2020 election results. The case may be dead now that he has immunity, but that doesn’t mean he’s allowed to overturn the election and that he’s President now.

• sexy_peach@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

He doesn’t have total immunity, he has immunity as long as the supreme court allows it. Which they won’t for biden.

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

The idea is that he’d pack the court with 10+ constitution- and democracy-loyal judges, and then the supreme court will vote that

• this measure was necessary
      • the recent immunity ruling is bullshit
      • the corrupt judges shall be impeached
      • barsquid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Shitheads like Manchin won’t allow that. Shitheads like Manchin won’t even allow replacing one during an election year.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

What I mean is - Biden should just not ask for permission & do it per executive order. Establish facts and ask for forgiveness later (like he would care if his own appointed court does not grant him immunity out of principle - he’s too old to see the end of such a court case).

Those are measures I would - under normal circumstances - consider highly problematic, alike to a coup d’etat - but in actuality, this would be a counter-coup, because the actual coup is already happening in slow motion for a decade & more, with the Republicans putting corrupt shitheads on the supreme court, instead of qualified judges with at least some resemblance of impartiality.

So - if I were Biden - I’d use the “immunity” ruling to establish a proper neutral supreme court, possibly forcefully removing the corrupt judges, and then let the new, established supreme court rule that this was an “official act” (because it would be very fucking much), but also revoke the previous immunity ruling, and have them independently(!) decide on the necessity / legality of my acts, and potential consequences.

Then let the republicunts choke on their self-created paradox: As the supreme court has confirmed the “official act”, do they condemn it anyways and thereby openly admit that their “immunity for official acts” ruling was only “rules for thee but not for me” - and regardless, would they object to the proceedings against me by the new supreme court on the grounds that the immunity ruling has been revoked, and thereby either defend my immunity, or (not objecting) accept the revocation of the immunity clause?

I’d love to see them choke on that.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Realistically, 95% of the population would discuss about it but not do anything, as the measure is bringing back stability and secures future elections, thereby also the possibility for a republican to win. Also most people - especially in western europe and the US, my opinion - are too lethargic to actually follow up on any “civil war” bullshit talk, I mean look at most of our population - a bunch of fat slobs too lethargic even for the most basic things. Do you see the hamberders-militia do anything but some random murder sprees against innocents?

• IMongoose@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

He doesn’t have total immunity, he has immunity as long as the supreme court allows it.

Correct, and they have given Biden a means to choose which justices are in the supreme court. Also which congressman to approve new justices.

• slimarev92@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I hear this line a lot, but it’s not really true. Biden has immunity from criminal prosecution (which is obviously fucked up), but courts still can block his actions.

• CosmicTurtle0@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Which means he can shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and get away with it.

The amount of chaotic good Biden could do…

• Rob billionaires at gun point and then distribute the wealth a la Robin Hood
      • Bomb Shell corporation unless they give into his demands
      • Close stock exchanges until they donate half of their stocks to various non-profits
      • Hold ships at port hostage until CEOs step down

The list is literally endless.

If judges try to reverse those actions, Biden can then hold their family hostage until a ruling is made in his favor.

It’s fun to joke about this until you realize that Trump would absolutely do these things…except, you know, for himself.

• nieminen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Unfortunately even your first bullet wouldn’t work. It’s not like these billionaires are walking around with their billions in cash. Most are held in stocks or assets, which would simply be inherited by whoever is set up in their will.

• FrostyTheDoo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

But you just do stuff and enforce it without the courts approval. It’s illegal but they can’t prosecute him because he’s doing President stuff.

• Drusenija@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Given the partisan nature of the Supreme Court at the moment, anyone who thinks a Democrat trying to use these powers that they’re saying the president has would get away with it is extremely optimistic at best.

• Revan343@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

That’s why step one would be to make the court a lot less Republican

• Bytemeister@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      Ελληνικά
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

That’s why he could do things that are un-blockable. Like immediately adding 14 partisan judges to the SC. Then they are the majority that would determine the constitutionality of their own assignment.

Or, he could direct the military to black bag 3 conservative judges. The body that would judge would favorable towards this.

• Lemming6969@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I need some of that delusional fantasy cosplay shit ya’ll be having. Biden will do nothing with this ruling even though using the DOJ against enemies domestic is a protected official act.

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

And yet he won’t charge some of the Supreme Court members with treason.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

The US has 13 district courts and only 9 judges. SCOTUS judges have routinely complained that having to oversee multiple districts is an undue burden.

The very obvious and simple solution would be… to do nothing and just tell people to Vote Harder.

• Madison420@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

9 independent supreme courts that rule as normal and if there’s a major uprising about a ruling 81 justices enter into the case and rule as a unified body with the same rules as the current court or any independent 9th.