• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

This undersells Kamala’s “legal issues”. She was Attorney General for 6 years:

Harris’ office took on predatory for-profit colleges and also secured a nearly $20 billion settlement with banks following the 2008 foreclosure crisis.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/a-look-at-kamala-harris-legal-career-and-political-record

The biggest argument against Harris is that she put too many people behind bars. She was too good at her job. I think people will care less about it since Biden directed the FDA to reschedule weed as schedule 3.

• octopus_ink@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

She was too good at her job. I think people will care less about it since Biden directed the FDA to reschedule weed as schedule 3.

First test of whether she’s actually moved on from her boomer-views of weed will be whether she undoes that.

As I feel the need to say every time I bring this up, I will be voting Kamala Harris in November. I don’t see that these criticisms from when she was a VP candidate are any less valid than they were then though.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/08/kamala-cop-record/596758/

Closing paragraphs of that article:

I can forgive a politician a vote on a crime bill that looks ill-conceived two decades later, or a too-slow evolution toward marijuana legalization, or even a principled belief in the death penalty, something I adamantly oppose. I find it far harder to forgive fighting to keep a man in jail in the face of strong evidence of innocence, running a team of prosecutors that withholds potentially exculpatory evidence from defense attorneys, and utterly failing as the state’s top prosecutor to rein in glaringly corrupt district attorneys and law enforcement.

At best, Harris displayed a pattern of striking ignorance about scandalous misconduct in hierarchies that she oversaw. And she is now asking the public to place her atop a bigger, more complicated, more powerful hierarchy, where abuses and unaccountable officials would do even more to subvert liberty and justice for all.

• ashok36@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Harris is also the one that has been more public about legalizing weed. She was the one that promised it in 2020 and reiterated the promise a few months ago. With six months left, I’m skeptical but it’s still in the realm of possibility.

If the Republicans were smart, they’d do it first. Ballot initiatives for Marijuana legalization has driven blue turnout in several states lately. Florida has an initiative on the ballot this year along with abortion. I think FL will be a lot more competitive than people think with the ballot initiatives driving turnout for young people.

• aard@kyu.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Just read her wikipedia page - as I’m not from the US I’ve been mostly treating US politics as a bad comedy show for the last two decades or so, and even though she’s vice president she was too much of a side character to register.

The one thing that did rech me over there was that she’s a bad candidate as VP as she’ll erect a police state when biden dies. After reading her bio I can’t find problems there, though. I disagree with some details - like seeking life imprisonment - but can give her a pass due to the environment she’s operating in which probably wouldn’t allow anything else (if you’re confused: all convicts should undergo rehabilitation attempts with goal of release. If you stay locked up it’ll be due to you still posing a danger to society, in which case you still get more privileges than a prisoner as at that stage it is considered a mental health issue, and treating you as prisoner for that would be a human rights violation).

For sticking to not seeking death penalty she deserves respect, though, and generally she seemed to be focused on putting actual criminals to prison.

• banner80@fedia.ioOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Do you speak of the documented cases of rape of adult women, such as the case he lost in court and the story told by his wife; or are you referring to the several credible accusations of abuse of minors?

• SerpentPeaked@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I believe they are referring to credible accusations of the rape of minors. Many people are saying that one of these two candidates is a child rapist. Who likes to rape children.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

there’s soooooooo much there, it’s almost hard to decide what to bring up. “Foreign Policy?” Yeah, he was compairing “button” sizes with Kim Jong Un.

• ObsidianZed@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Since my sleepy time edible is kicking in, I’m just going to ask here.

Is there a comprehensive list of all the things Trump has done in office good vs bad compared to all the things that Biden has done good vs bad?

I know some people that still need convincing, but I’m ill-equipped.

• banner80@fedia.ioOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Good vs bad is subjective and some people might disagree. For instance, many in Trump’s base are happy that he separated children at the border from their parents as a form of medieval punishment to immigrants seeking asylum.

However, here are two pages that I find important. Here is a super tiny list of Biden’s accomplishments, keeping it to only 30 for brevity: https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/02/02/joe-biden-30-policy-things-you-might-have-missed-00139046

And since there’s so much negative to say about Trump, given that he is a criminal with bankrupt ideas and tons of problems, here is one link that focuses on economics: https://www.propublica.org/article/national-debt-trump

I like to summarize Trump’s ability as a president with this simple example: Trump is the only president to have ever promised to completely wipe out the US national debt. The reason other presidents don’t promise this is because it’s stupid, no country should operate without debt. An economist should know that, BTW, and he is constantly remind us that he graduated in Economics from a top school, while he doesn’t seem to understand basics of macro economics. Then, once he became president, he added the most debt in a single presidential term in history. So he campaigned on a truly stupid promise to completely wipe the national debt, yet he then added the most debt ever.

That’s the kind of president you get when you vote for Trump. As Rex Tillerson said, a man that doesn’t seem to comprehend what the adults are talking about and doesn’t even understand why the adults want to talk about it. A fucking moron incapable of presidential decisions. That’s in addition to all the horrible stuff he brings with his nasty personality, corruption, crimes, and so on.

• tweeks@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Well the problem would be that one could argue the “good” and “bad”. It would be better to have a trustworthy factual list of things they’ve done and base our judgements on that.

But it’s pretty hard to create such a list unbiased, if even possible. But I think it would help.

• XIIIesq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

OP is asking for help and I think a side by side comparison list is a very reasonable thing to ask for.

Calling people that would possibly vote along side you, but haven’t decided yet, “morons”, serves to push them away and to vote against you.

You might not like the idea of engaging people that haven’t decided they’re voting the same way you are, but I’d encourage you to (without being mean!), unless you want to sleep walk in to another Trump presidency.

We need more people like OP and less people like you.

• callouscomic@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

You engage with people like that long enough and grow tired of it. I used to do that a lot. I’m done. Far too many people aren’t going to change and I quit wasting my time, and in a lot of cases they’re so nuts I just removed them from my life.

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I understand being exhausted. And if you can’t do it anymore there’s no shame in that.

But please give other, less-tired people an opportunity to try and make things better instead of lashing out in a way that discourages them or alienate those they’re trying to persuade.

There are millions of people in this country disengaged from the political process because all they see is the hostility between the 2 sides. They want to avoid hostility, so they avoid politics altogether.

They legitimately don’t know how bad Trump is because they disengage as soon as they hear his name or see his face.

They’ve actively, intentionally engaged in political ignorance because they hate conflict. That’s good for Trump’s goons, because that instinct to want everybody to get along and work together is counter to their political agenda.

Their ignorance comes from a misguided but sincere goodness, and by insulting them we just make them double-down on their strategy.

We need them to vote. Trump needs them to not vote.

• XIIIesq@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I can’t say that I don’t suffer political fatigue, but that still doesn’t cause me act in a way that actively alienates undecided people from voting alongside me.

• bradinutah@thelemmy.club
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Old Sleepy Don falls asleep and farts in court. Harris does not.

Dementia Don is scared to debate but not scared enough. Harris is eager to debate and could chew him up and spit him out RIGHT NOW.

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Old Sleepy Don falls asleep and farts in court. Harris does not.

If you can produce video of Harris ripping a honker in the middle of closing arguments, I doubt that’ll change my vote. Flatulence isn’t my biggest concern surrounding a presidential nominee.

Harris is eager to debate and could chew him up and spit him out RIGHT NOW.

It is extremely curious that Don felt comfortable squaring off against Biden on his last legs, but immediately turns down any head-to-head with Kamala. They’re not sending their best, folks.

• bradinutah@thelemmy.club
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I think Old Don’s lack of respect for the court system compared to Harris’s respect for the court system may be the better way to frame this.

Sleepy Don thought wrongly that Joe was too weak and too old. More importantly, Lying And Rambling Don (LARD) is definitely too weak and too old going up against Harris.

• blusterydayve26@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

What about “committed treason by selling nuclear secrets to America’s enemies” - you’ll never guess which picture that one falls under!

• UnderpantsWeevil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Unfortunately, too many Americans see the Saudi and Russian oligarchs as more aligned with their domestic interests than their next door neighbors.

• rekorse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

That child rape document with the testimony of the victim was fucking awful.

Maybe force trump voters to have to read that before checking the box next to Trump.

• lars@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Handwringing swingstate voters are stumped and I can smell their anxiety in the air.

• leisesprecher@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      Deutsch
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Obviously the femoid, because they can’t control their emotions!!!

( /s, just in case that want obvious)

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

“zero impeachments… So Far!” - Mike Johnson

“We just need uh…um. <mutters, one, two, five…uh no, three…?> uh three impeachments. Which is uh. uhm… <mutters again, one…two…uh… two… uhm… how many is it again…?> uhm one more than we have.” - Trump.

(sorry. some idiot is trying to do just that as a political stunt.)

• kiku@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

That’s not fair. She also has a penchant for Venn diagrams, which should be noted under quirks.

• Wild Bill@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

I know she loves the venn diagrams with 3 circles, but I wonder if she knows about the delectation that is 5-circled venn diagrams.