shield
    M
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Hey Folks, Technology Mod here. We’re aware of the reports that this post has gathered. I recognize that this is probably fake and that the source is suspect.

While we don’t have any source requirements in the sidebar for this community, in general better sources would be preferred. However, the post has generated enough discussion that I hesitate to remove it. Unfortunately, Lemmy doesn’t provide many tools for us to deal with situations like this, such as pinning comments, editing titles, or adding flair. For now, I’ll be leaving the post up, but I’ll continue to watch the discussion to see if other actions might need to be taken.

Thanks for your patience, folks.

• TheRtRevKaiser@beehaw.orgM
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

I think pinned comments were added in a recent update, but in that case Beehaw hasn’t updated for various reasons that have been explained elsewhere.

I’m not sure about the flairs. It would be a very helpful moderation tool in a toolbox that is quite limited at the moment.

• slacktoid@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Exactly, not enough slurs! Tbh like just that many? That’s all? I expected a separate wordlist

• doctordevice@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

The same kind who have a separate variable for ignore-wordlist-regex that’s just another list of users almost identical to the first one.

• LyD@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I have configured systems like Okta and this detail almost makes me believe this is a real leak. 😂

• jarfil@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

The kind that didn’t walk out when Elon made it “sink in” that they were going to be treated like slaves: overworked, underpaid, full of anxiety, coffee, and with a boss who will randomly disconnect a whole datacenter overnight with no previous warning.

PS: not going to say it’s real 💯, but… it’s “plausible”.

• Thorny_Insight@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

To my knowledge, twitter doesn’t block anyone from using slurs to begin with. I’m sure you can find plenty used on daily basis on “black twitter” for example.

That being said I’m going to need a more credible source than a random screenshot

• thingsiplay@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

So many Trumps these days. But, is this even real? Not because I don’t think this can’t be real, because it’s Twitter. My question is, is there any evidence this image being real? Because anyone could create such a fake and most people would believe it… – which tells a lot about Twitter, BTW, regardless of being true or false.

• biscuitswalrus@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I checked too, it’s not a valid public DNS record, so then the question is, does Oktas internal DNS resolve this. Even if it does, how does okta even sit in this? Are they the identity provider for Twitter? Surely even if it’s identity, it’s got nothing to do with content moderation? So many questions.

• AVincentInSpace@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I tried to visit the site again when I saw your comment and discovered the DNS record had disappeared between when I wrote that comment and now. Fascinating. It must have been taken down and the change took a while to propagate. Judging by the fact that I could see anything at all before my ISP’s nameserver got the memo, the 404 page that was there seems to still be up even though the DNS record that got you to it is gone – wish I had thought to nslookup it when I still could. If I had to take a guess, though, it probably resolved to the same IP address as the twitter.okta.com domain.

• Nasan@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

I’m currently overseas in SE Asia, it resolves to a local address (10.3.1.1) with a cname record pointing to an AWS load balancer with 3 separate IPs through my ISP’s DNS server. protected-users.twitter.okta.com still appears across a few different DNS records according to dnschecker.org at the time of my post.

• Flax@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago
    1. Why would this show in their API? Makes no sense.
    2. Isn’t everybody allowed to use slurs on there now?
      • Ech@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

yt shorts is such an atrocious format to share any sort of information.

• Liz@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

Yeah I agree, but that’s the place where the expert I know shared their knowledge. If I had a text based source I would have used that.

• Ech@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

It’s more a criticism on them than it is on you, fwiw.

• GoodEye8@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

So is Twitter but that didn’t stop Twitter from becoming wildly popular. YouTube shorts are just tweets in a video format.

• ahornsirup@feddit.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

At least you can quickly read a tweet, considering how short they are it takes like a second. Shorts are worse, you have the same limited information but you have to watch the whole damn thing to get it (even with subtitles).

• Todd Bonzalez@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

As someone who integrates Okta for a living, I have no idea why this would be part of the config. I can’t even figure how you would use Okta for content filtering at all.

It’s an authentication service…

• m-p{3}@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Unless there’s a plausible snapshot from the wayback machine or archive.is, with DNS decords or any other traces that could link the name to Twitter in an official capacity, I’d take this with a grain of salt.

• Hirom@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I made the following report on this post:

Serious claim without proper source. Please consider adding a flair or editing the title to indicate it’s unverified and/or lack source

• Ilandar@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

We’re a collective of individuals upset with the way social media has been traditionally governed. A severe lack of moderation has led to major platforms like Facebook to turn into political machinery focused on disinformation campaigns as a way to make profit off of users.

Rules for thee, but not for me?