tl;dr

Heat building up inside the thrusters may be causing Teflon seals to bulge, restricting the flow of propellant.

• gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

They forgot to check how tolerant the hypergolic thrusters were to heat…? The primary waste byproduct of chemical thrusters?

Jesus fuck. That is pants-on-head stupid. Boeing’s processes have clearly gone to seed. That is absolutely insane, and in this context, kind of indefensible.

• verity_kindle@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

“Hey, I’m paid to update quality assurance TPM reports. I’m not paid to wiggle metal bits. I don’t tighten things.” -me, if I lived in a hell dimension, i.e., in an office for Boeing.

• PsychedSy@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Tbf, those people aren’t generally responsible for the failures of the people that both install things or verify installed things.

And the bolts in that scenario don’t actually need to be tight.

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Problem was Boeing was involved in its creation, clearly. Maybe if companies invested in retaining talent and not lining shareholder and ceo pockets they’d be able to create viable products.

• Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Do you remember the Boeing CEO boasting about how the dragon was never going to get to the ISS first? Starliner had a head start in development, and they thought they were nearly ready. So he makes a post on Twitter saying they’d get there first. Musk replies “great, do it”.

I miss the terse and sane Elon Musk. Somehow this crazy Musk is less fun.

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Only Musk I miss is the one from the future who is dead. He has contributed nothing to society other than stealing wealth from the masses.

• Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

Well, that’s absolutely not true. The world got electric cars much sooner than we would have otherwise and I’m sure that has made a meaningful difference for global CO2 emissions. And along with a lot of talented engineers, he’s absolutely revolutionized the rocket industry, doing what everyone thought was literally impossible by landing rockets and reusing them. If he can follow up the falcon 9 success with a starship that works and actually is 100% usable, that could well be the most influential innovation in human history, (no exaggeration).

He’s still a dick, an addict, and a thoroughly problematic human being. But he’s done some truly great things for the world, more than I have certainly.

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

he didn’t do any of that, he just bought some companies that were already doing that. Surprised you didnt add “he revolutionized short form social media by creating twitter” to the list of things he has absolutely not contributed anything toward other than constantly sabotaging the companies he owns becuase he’s a miscreant freak.

• Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

He was the lead engineer during the beginning of spaceX, he was actively involved in that. Also, he put his personal wealth into funding those last falcon 1 launch attempts, the company was completely out of money. If he hadn’t been there, the company never could have made orbit, they would have gone bust.

As for Tesla, nobody can say what would have happened if musk had never become involved with the company. Neither of us can see those alternate timelines. But what I can say is that Tesla was the first new car company in the US (electric or otherwise) in over 50 years. That is to say, people have tried and failed, and this company was the first to succeed in a long time. So it certainly wasn’t a guarantee that anyone was going to push the big auto manufacturers to compete in the electric car market. And whatever it was that made it happen this time, it was Musk at the helm.

Obviously, Twitter was garbage before he bought it. Yes, it’s much worse now, but it was never good. I’m really not sure the world has lost anything. Besides, the whole Twitter thing was really after he started to go nuts, that’s the crazy Musk that I’ve had enough of.

And again, I don’t disagree that the man is a huge problem today I said that right at the start. But to say he’s never done anything of value, well that’s ignoring reality, which is Trump level crazy.

• Donebrach@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                1 month ago

You honestly think he designed rockets?

Any tech that was brought to market by Tesla or SpaceX would’ve happened regardless of Musk. He just took credit for it and people like you spread propaganda that he actually contributed work toward it.

• Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

Like I said, living outside of reality is Trump level crazy. Or plain ignorance. I wouldn’t blame you for not knowing the whole story.

And no, nobody was landing rockets, that would not have just “happened”.

• Ænima@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Ding ding ding! When the investment is not in the best and brightest, and instead every corner is cut and every CEO validated with wealth, they get bottom barrel scraping and keep spiraling down. I knew as soon as I saw the company that it would be something incredibly stupid.

• MrPibb@lemmynsfw.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

48 days and counting, three days longer than Starliner’s initial 45 day limit set by NASA and 40 days longer than the initially planned mission return.

• MrPibb@lemmynsfw.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

The current plan is the same as the old plan, for Butch and Suni to ride Starliner back home for a safe landing in the desert. The 45 day limit was initially set due to lack of knowledge on how Starliner’s batteries would perform in space, due to their extended stay they have had ample time to test the batteries and they are currently testing and acting nominally thus allowing for the extended stay. Their stay has been extended for NASA and Boeing to do as much testing as possible on the trunk of Starliner, the part of Starliner that had all of the issues. The reason for the stay is that once Butch and Suni depart from the ISS in Starliner and head for home the trunk will separate from Starliner and burn up (hopefully) on reentry thus making any testing on the main culprit of all issues that Starliner had impossible. This is getting to a diatribe so I will end it here. If you have more questions just ask.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 month ago

Thanks for the abstract. Is Boeing paying for the extra docking hours at the ISS? Isn’t the docking schedule pretty important to ISS operations? I figured it’s like a train station: precision and efficiency above all, otherwise arrivals stack up and cause cascade failures?

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Thank you for the TLDR. Was there no time on the schedule, in the many, many, ~~~~many years of lead up and cashing NASA checks, when Boeing could have stress tested those seals to failure?

• Rentlar@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Not enough gay furry engineers to notice the bulge early enough.

• NocturnalMorning@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

How is this comment helpful in any way? In the future when you want to voice your thoughts outloud, maybe just save everybody the trouble and don’t.

• Rentlar@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

Feel free to check my profile. Let me have a low-quality joke comment every once in a while :)

• GreyEyedGhost@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I thought the joke was spot on. Those furry engineers seem to be able to spot even the slightest hint of bulging. “Something’s happening there. We should…investigate it.”

• werefreeatlast@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Meanwhile at the ISS…it’s getting down to the wire guys, how do we get back home? Let’s Lemmy the solution!

1. roasted
    2. in small tiny pieces
    3. check the helium seals then walk the elephant into the craft and close the door
    4. you can’t! There’s a giraffe inside!
    5. eat the CEOs
    6. we shouldn’t have flown here in the first place
    7. it’s going to work, but first hand me that electric toothbrush, and the extra wire from the solar panels. Anything with microchips in it. Did anyone pack the paperclip 📎? We need a paper clip!