And we shouldn’t allow this concept to go unchallenged here on Lemmy.

Commenting on an active post is not brigading

Posting a link to something is not brigading

Commenting on something you were linked to is not brigading

The only thing that might be brigading, but isn’t because it isn’t a real thing, is someone explicitly going, “Hey everyone, go here and harass this person”

It’s all fine and good that we have some new rules to keep the peace with other instances but we must fight against reddit-logo brainworms

• AcidSmiley [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Wait till the realization sinks in that this is just the normal, organic amount of engagement they get from us because we’re by far the most active lemmy instance

• GarbageShoot [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

In retrospect, it’s funny how the liberals on lemmy.ml were haughtily saying “This may have been a tankie space once, but we will overwhelm them eventually and make it clear that they aren’t welcome here” and then Hexbear comes in and they shit themselves.

• YearOfTheCommieDesktop [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

they thought the reddit wave would be bigger but it turns out redditors like feeling smug more than actually leaving the corporate walled garden. so they aren’t thaaat big and a good % of those who did come here are at least vaguely leftist. That plus hexbear=no more unchallenged “ebil seeseepee” type circlejerks

• AOCapitulator [they/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Liberals are used to games with rigged rules (“”“International Rules Based Order”""🙄) and when the playing field is level it feels to them like everyone else is suddenly cheating

• Frank [he/him, he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That’s how the most of the internet works. The site admins of whatever community impose hegemonic rules about acceptable discourse and then purge everything outside that. It’s how we work, it’s just that we got rid of all the bigots and shitheads. In a normal community a landlord runs the instance, bans everyone who wants to shoot landlords, and tolerates bigots as long as they don’t literally say the N word too many times in a row. Here the hegemony is flipped on it’s head - Any kind of bigotry gets you banned fast, and you can actually name names when talking about why society sucks without having to pretend this isn’t a knife fight to the death.

• AOCapitulator [they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

The difference is we understand why the conditions in other instances are the way they are, as you’ve laid out. and they think the conditions here are a bot farm, some kind of organized plot, or otherwise illegitimate

They can’t wrap their heads around it so they just yell cheaters!

• DoiDoi [comrade/them, he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

you see, when I call you a Chinese bot, or fake Russian names I’m being a very reasonable discussion partner

when you call me out for being a weird racist it’s brigading, trolling, 4chan, and the type of behavior that needs to be defederated from

• Zoift [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Usually its 2-3 chapos calling someone a dipshit lib for posting a bad take, and then someone comes along with an nice effortpost an hour or so later.

Like, i approve of it, people get too used to not being called a dipshit. But newgangs first posters on the scene usually come in hot.

• Maoo [none/use name]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

As usual, liberals just use different words when they like some vs. when they don’t. When they don’t like it? Brigading! When they do? Just raising concerns, I hate those red fash tankies.

PS they are envious of our knack for a self-organized united front.

• ShimmeringKoi [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Their culture is so snarky and anti-collaboration, they get pissy with each other nearly as much as they do with us, and they don’t engage any differently in either case. I really do feel bad for these people who are trapped in the atomized, all against all social paradigm of the new internet.

• charlie [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

they get pissy with each other nearly as much as they do with us, and they don’t engage any differently in either case

I’m still new to Hexbear and this has been the biggest striking difference for me coming from liberal spaces. I’ve seen multiple arguments on hexbear, and honestly, I had a hard time at first seeing that they were civil disagreements and not just jokes.

Edit: I think maybe because in the liberal spaces, to open up like that in good faith is just an invitation to get shit on for going outside the norm. Whereas here you’ll get engaged with in good faith and it’s just a much more positive experience that actually allows for civil disagreement.

• charlie [any, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I really like not having a downvote button. Keeps the cowards from downvoting and feeling like that did something. Debate your opinion nerds, don’t hide.

• Alaskaball [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

we do have the downvote emoji downbear

but it’s a comment instead of an actual downvote, meaning you’re making your disagreement publicly instead of anonymously and opening the floor to further discussion.

• GrouchyGrouse [he/him]@hexbear.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

Long ago in the Second Age when I was posting with Elf kings and Dwarf lords and all that shit from 20+ years ago I always preferred to actually post rather than do something like block a person. I never used chat filter, never blocked a person (unless they were spamming in a video game). I liked it that way. I really appreciated that we got rid of the downvotes here. I tend to like upvotes because it feels like a nice way of saying “heard and acknowledged” to a post but I also like to actually reply with a “nice post!” or “that’s funny!” because it feels so much more sincere and engaged.

What I’m trying to say is I genuinely appreciate the ‘culture’ we have fostered here. It’s a nice place. If anybody calls us a bunch of meanies I’d say just look at the mutual aid comm or the way the mods politely remind people to tone it down if things start to get genuinely heated or how we are anti-sectarian.

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

I kind of wish there was like a “Thumbs up” button only for comments replying to your comment so you could agree to someone in way that showed you didn’t have anything further to say. I mostly just use

rat-salute-2

For that, which I guess works well.

• PorkrollPosadist [he/him, they/them]@hexbear.netM
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

To indulge in irresponsible criticism in private instead of actively putting forward one’s suggestions to the organization. To say nothing to people to their faces but to gossip behind their backs, or to say nothing at a meeting but to gossip afterwards. To show no regard at all for the principles of collective life but to follow one’s own inclination. This is a second type.

mao-wave

• SeventyTwoTrillion [he/him]@hexbear.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

I was initially indifferent-to-unconvinced about it but now I think it’s one of the all-time great additions alongside pronouns. You still kinda have it because you can just upvote the person in the debate whose opinion you prefer if it gets to the point of debate which is a kind of relative downvote, but people actually having to come out and propose and then defend an objection is much healthier for everybody rather than nurturing silent resentments between users, and you can’t just make a bunch of alts to downvote somebody you disagree with, especially for days, weeks, or months after an argument has happened. If you really dislike a person then the block button is there and if they’re being bigoted then so is the report button.

• Awoo [she/her]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Here you can generally assume people will engage with intellectual honesty and intellectual curiosity, not just to “win” an argument but to have a real exchange of ideas that results in potentially both people benefiting. Everything isn’t a debate and every conversation does not have a winner and a loser, the goal everyone has here is generally for everyone to be better off.

• SuperNovaCouchGuy2 [any]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Their culture is so snarky and anti-collaboration

Seeing their rude commenting styles and nastiness really turned me off from federation at first, but then they started commenting here and it was very cathartic to shit on them!

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

It implies there are outside agitators coming in to disrupt a community.

But like.

The only “rule” for joining a community is to come inside. As soon as they post, they’re not outside anymore.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Folks really haven’t grasped that federation means it’s not “your community” anymore, you’re basically a subreddit now, with all the horrors that entails.

• Adkml [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

They’re really crushing this speed run.

“Were creating a decentralized space where different opinions and people can all interact with each other to whatever extent the users want”

“Hey why are there people here saying that Biden isn’t the savior of the working class, clearly this is harassment”

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It vibes strongly with the “outside agitator” discourse that always shows up during mass protests. “Surely our wonderful posters would never dunk on me, it must be outsiders coming in to persecute me!”

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s 1865 and “outside Agitators” are riling up minorities

It’s 1965 and “outside agitators” are riling up minorities

It’s 1991 and “outside agitators” are riling up minorities

It’s 2020 and “outside agitators” are riling up minorities

I tire of these Democrats. I tire of their dissembling

manhattan

• TomBombadil [he/him, she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The liberals are welcome to come in here and “brigade” us as well. We won’t complain. We’ll just dunk.

And probably get accused of brigading our own threads or something.

• SootyChimney [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

There’s certainly an attitude of “we should be able to federate with large leftist communities and then spout false right-wing talking points without being challenged >:(”

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The overton window is a big part of it. They’re totally immersed in a world where they’re as far left or almost as far left as it’s acceptable to go. There’s a completely distorted view of politics where most of the electorate in the US genuinely thinks the Democrats are at least somewhere past the center left.

• CARCOSA [they/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

CW: Transphobia, and Nazi-rhetoric

This is what I have used as an example of what “brigading” is and have repeadedly asked the admins for proof of anything remotely close to this on hexbear.

• Infamousblt [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

“Crossposting to an instance I don’t like is brigading” and other things libs believe. Brigading as a word is as meaningless as libs calling us tankies. Brigading just means “someone I don’t like saw my post”

• BelieveRevolt [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The thing that annoys me is the widespread misconception among the lib instances that Hexbear users are just out there spamming PPB on every other instance, when in reality it’s much more common that someone starts calling us hate speech spewing Russian bots or whatever and people start responding to that. Oh no, the consequences of my actions angery

Anothe thing that happens frequently is someone posts something well-crafted in good faith and then a lib responds ”I’m not reading that Kremlin/Chinese propaganda, troll!”, so who are the ones actually not interested in arguing here?