It was purportedly (and probably in actuality) intended as a survival aid to be used after landings and before recovery in the Siberian wilderness, although allegedly was intended as a defensive weapon against in-space attacks by the US space program.

• WhoRoger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

The attack in space angle was probably just to convince some manager.

The survival in Siberia is completely valid. US retrieves their astronauts in the ocean, but Soviet Russia didn’t/doesn’t have such a worldwide navy, so Siberia it is. It could take days for the cosmonauts to be recovered, so it was expected they might need to defend themselves against wildlife or even hunt.

• BastingChemina@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I think every astronaut that embarked in the Soyuz spacecraft had to go through a wilderness survival training.

I know the french astronaut Thomas Pesquet had to survive a week in Siberian first in winter before embarking on the Soyuz.

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Because space is haunted. And buckshot’s superior spread helps ensure a hit while spinning around in zero-g. Solid slugs would go straight through the soyuz walls, duh.

• janAkali@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

allegedly was intended as a defensive weapon against in-space attacks by the US space program.

??? If it was for in-space attacks, wouldn’t it be more logical to mount a gun outside of ship 😆?

It was intended as a survival aid for emergency landings. It’s not a shotgun, but a three barrel pistol (but it can shoot both normal rounds and shells). Another interesting detail - it’s buttstock is a folding machete.

TP-87 was invented by request of A. Leonov after emergency landing of ‘Voshod-2’ where cosmonauts Leonov and Belyaev had to survive 3 days in wild taiga forest for a rescue team to retrieve them.

• Rapidcreek@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Long-time space journalist Jim Oberg called it “a deluxe all-in-one weapon with three barrels and a folding stock that doubles as a shovel and contains a swing-out machete.”

• Red_October@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

They say it was because their landing in the wilds of Siberia may require defense against wildlife. This is not true. The truth is that they have seen what resides in space, and would not venture into it’s laid unarmed.

• Double_A
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Possibly also for suicide if you get into a situation where you would slowly suffer to death?

• riodoro1@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

A gunshot wound to the head is also not suicide.

If however both the gunshot wound and hypoxia are self inflicted then it is suicide, regardless if you pull the trigger or open a valve.

• OptimusPhillip@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I can’t seem to read the article, so forgive me if they answer this question, but how would a gun work in space? Most firearms I’m familiar with use oxidation reactions to propel ammunition. Were the shells filled with self-oxidizing propellant, or did they just use a completely different system?

• OptimusPhillip@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

I guess today is a learning day for all of us! I knew gunpowder contained nitrates, but I didn’t realize that was its purpose, or that it allowed it to work in a vacuum.

• Cethin@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Pretty much anything explosive need to be self oxidizing. If air can’t get in to continue to feed the burning of the material (which never can during an explosion) than the oxygen needs to come from another source.