• lichtmetzger
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

The thing that made me really mad is that Sony released the PSVR2, but removed support for playing 3D BluRay’s from the PS5. The higher resolution would’ve been so amazing, but the PS4 is the last model that can do it.

Whyyyy?

• goose [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Aaaaaaaakchually I think that’s a picture of the $599 “A01” 60GB model. It had WiFi and the chrome trim along the front. The $499 “B01” 20GB model was all black and looks slightly cooler imo

I cackled at the PS4 and PS5 disc rows

• ShinkanTrain@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 hours ago

You’re right, it doesn’t have all the weird card slots on the front either, but it does have 4 USB slots, which should have gone on the chart

• Gorb [they/them]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 hours ago

I modded my slim in a few minutes its pretty easy now if you have the right model. Basically installs the software via a browser in a few minutes.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 hours ago

For custom firmware you need either a phat or some of the early slims, but you can do pretty much everything you’d want to do with hybrid firmware, which can be done in any model.

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 hours ago

I used to have a phat PS3 and for years I told people that I was gonna install Linux on it and turn it into an arcade setup. Then when I finally had the inclination to follow through on it, I found out that it had been given away by my mom while I was living in Japan.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                9 hours ago

The easiest method only requires you to open up a website in the browser, then install the hybrid firmware from a flashdrive. You also need a controller that works on the safe mode menu (like a real PS3 controller). I usually follow this guy’s videos. He keeps them updated and hasn’t steered me wrong on the triple, 360, OG Xbox and Vita

• Redcuban1959 [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 hours ago

Iirc, the first models of the PS3 had basically most of the drives of the PS2 and PS1 inside it. Making it the best Consoles to emulate PS2, since it was running on basically original hardware.

• ashinadash [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

nerd

nerd shit

Playstation 1 was always emulated, it has good compatibility but is forced to at least 480p so it’s kind of ugly, soft. The PS2 was not emulated, full hardware in the A01 and B01, C01/D01/E01 have the GPU emulated by software. Neither has perfect compatibility, and since original PS3s are trying to catch fire all the time it’s less practical than just owning a PS2.

• SSJMarx@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 hours ago

The Emotion Engine! The later PS3 slim dropped the EE chip and switched to software emulation of it, which meant that like 50% of PS2 games no longer functioned because the emulation wasn’t as good as having the actual chip, which was a shame but I bet it represented a significant amount of the price drop.

• Mindfury [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 hours ago

the original fatboys in 20gb and 60gb only - you could sideload an OS and there was a specific linux distro i think. I want to say it was originally pumped up because it allowed the cell cpu architecture to run folding@home

pretty sure literally the first revision (the 40gb? was there also a 100gb model too?) removed the feature to install OS because they immediately realised it would allow piracy and homebrew lol (with me thinking that homebrew development was the entire point but idk)

• riseuppikmin [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 hours ago

Yellow dog Linux and anyone could run Folding (no Linux required).

The reason was likely a tax dodge to get the device taxed as a computer and not toy similar to why the PS2 also had this functionality for that same tax dodge.

Secondary reason was probably the US military PS3 supercomputer back in the day.

I think there is a holy grail MGS4 PS3 special edition that retained hardware backwards compatibility (all models after went to software) and was 80gb of storage if I’m remembering correctly.

• BelieveRevolt [he/him]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 hours ago

Secondary reason was probably the US military PS3 supercomputer back in the day.

In my headcanon they did that because of the ”Saddam is buying PS2s to turn into a supercomputer” thing.