• Kushan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 hours ago

I thought this was dumb as fuck, but I think I understand what Microsoft is trying to do here.

What might not be obvious is that this “Windows” app is for iOS, Android and Linux - yes, it’s a replacement for remote desktop but it’s specifically a remote desktop app to connect to Windows machines.

So while I still this this rebranding is entirely unnecessary, I can see that they are trying to clearly distinguish “I’m not on windows and I need to do something on windows so I’ll use the windows app for that” .

It also means less confusion when “remote desktop” doesn’t let you connect to your Mac or whatever.

• ikidd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 hour ago

One year from now: web search “Windows App broken” and then starting cutting myself.

• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 hours ago

so by now even Microsoft acknowledges that it has lost the battle of making computing synonymous with Windows?

FOSS release of Windows when?

• MonkeMischief@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      37 minutes ago

FOSS release of Windows when?

Can you imagine if that entire code got released tomorrow, without Microsoft selectively cleaning it up first?

I remember WinXP getting decompiled a while back and people thought it was pretty wild. Can you imagine Win8+?

Bet we’d find a few comments like #Yes it's a massive security hole but don't ask questions. LOL

I think we’d still be shocked at how much data collection it does. And probably how “I don’t know why it works but don’t touch it.” The code is. (It was written by people, after all)

I’ve always felt a lot of Windows’ “dependability” is really just slick presentation and the mystique of a black box that sounds solid when you knock on it.

But what bothers me so much, as a non-career-coder and DIY-computing learner, is whenever a corporate product breaks, everything is obfuscated with nonsense that is only meant for a company engineer.

At least good FOSS tries to tell you exactly where the issue is.

If Windows went FOSS I bet it would get a lot of human-friendly fixes…and MS would get a lot of new scandals lol.

• HStone32@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 minutes ago

i read a blog post by a former MS employee who shed some light on the situation. apparently the windows dev team is entirely made up of junior developers. As soon as anybody gets any experience, either MS tries to promote them to management, or they leave to find a better job.

what that means is there is nobody at MS who has deep knowledge of the Windows kernel. So instead of re-writting, re-factoring or making additions, all they know how to do is add things on top of the existing OS.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    13 hours ago

It’s really more like Remote Desktop+. It has some additional “features” (slight retch) on top of traditional Remote Desktop features.

Let’s wait and see if it’s actually more secure than traditional Remote Desktop.

(and I’d still rather use Wine)

• lurch (he/him)@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 hours ago

X11 can render individual windows (Xclients) through the network on another Xserver since decades. With XPRA you can even buffer them, to move them from one Xserver to another or make sure they survive network disconnect. It’s very cool, but not widely used.

• d_k_bo@feddit.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

Unlike X11, Wayland was never intended to be network transparent. As others say, solutions like waypipe and more tradionally RDP and VNC exist.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 hours ago

Exactly. We won’t. We’ll get specialized video stream over network. I’m not happy about this regression. I understand that was a willing sacrifice to achieve better local performance, but I’m not sure it was worth it.

• MinFapper@startrek.website
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 hour ago

Their reasoning was that X11 network transparency had been broken for quite some time. If you tried running chrome, most games, or anything with modern hardware acceleration over X11 forwarding, they wouldn’t work.

So, IMHO waypipe is actually an improvement in terms of compatibility, rather than a regression.

• infeeeee@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 hours ago

No, it’s just remote. Remote desktop is now also called Windows, also the operating system you are connecting to is called Windows.

Gnome has relatively good rdp support, so with this you could use Windows (the app) on Windows (the os) to connect to you Linux machine running Gnome.

It seems deliberately confusing naming is working as expected, Microsoft marketing team should get extra raise.

• infeeeee@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

It’s a remote desktop client, so it won’t. OP read only the title of the article

• Rooki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 hours ago

Let me guess? CLOUD VMS? “Emulation” tries the most generic app: Doesnt work. Office apps will be the only functioning apps.

• lengau@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

To be fair MS Office fully working on Linux is about the only thing we really need to make it completely viable for businesses.

• Petter1@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 hours ago

The Desktop apps will be replaced with web apps ASAP anyway. Well, I think, as soon they think they have ported enough of the features to the web version.

Are there native arm versions, or are those already webViews?

• lengau@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          36 minutes ago

The main problem is Excel, TBH. Far too much stuff depends on Windows-only features of Excel (e.g. macros using COM objects).

• istdaslol@feddit.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

I hope its so they can finally end the legacy support for all the win98 software and end all “settings is actually a folder” non-sense.