Read the whole article because it’s hilarious.

• can@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Officers allegedly raided the diagnostic center, located in the Van Nuys neighborhood of Los Angeles, thinking it was a front for an illegal cannabis cultivation facility, pointing to higher-than-usual energy use and the “distinct odor” of cannabis plants, according to the lawsuit.

MRI machine probably draws quite a bit

• stoly@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 hours ago

The real takeaway here is that they bullshitted smelling an odor of cannabis when there was none as an excuse to justify starting the raid in the first place. Some officer(s) lied on a form somewhere.

• Muehe@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 hours ago

I don’t know if there is any single takeaway here, this story is just fucking ridiculous on every single level.

1. They bullshited themselves into a search warrant based on typical cannabis “investigation methods”.
        2. In a state where recreational cannabis use is legal.
        3. Persisted in the search even after their main argument for it, high energy usage indicating a grow-op, fell away when it was clear it was indeed a medical facility.
        4. Made the motherfucking “Gun flies to MRI” TV trope a certified reality. This is a thing that verifiably happened now.
        5. Instead of getting help, used a sealed (!) emergency shutdown button…
        6. …which damaged the machine. And released thousands of dollars worth of helium gas.
        7. Forgot their loaded magazine on the ground.

This can’t be real. I’m fucking dying over here. Please let there be bodycam footage of the cop speaking in a high pitched voice after. (I know the helium was probably not released into the room, but one can hope I guess)

• prole@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 hours ago

Didn’t they recently rule that cops can no longer use the “I smelled weed” excuse as reasonable suspicion/probable cause? Maybe that was just one state.

Seems doubly ridiculous that this happened in California

• Serinus@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 hours ago

And if it did smell like weed near the MRI place, you know what I’d suspect? That’s a venn diagram with cancer patients in the middle.

You really want to crack down on cancer patients?

• stoly@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 hours ago

The answer has always been yes.

Look, WA was one of the first states to legalize, just weeks after CO. There was a police officer in Seattle who had to be reassigned because he kept writing tickets to people with weed even though it was legal. The point? Right-wing nuts are antisocial.

• Khanzarate@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

That was Illinois but honestly it’s just obvious in any state with a recreational/medicinal use law.

It’s ridiculous they’re allowed to keep using it as an excuse in general.

• dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

“Doctors are just a bunch of overeducated assholes who think they are smarter than everyone else. What could they possibly be doing with all that electricity?”

• LAPD probably
        • dogslayeggs@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

“Do you think it’s the clearly sick looking person in a gown standing outside the building labeled a medical facility with a handrolled cigarette that smells like weed?”

“Nah, that’s just someone who is buying weed from them.”